1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help re RPG suggestions

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by stormjai, May 26, 2004.

1. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I,ve been out of PC gaming for a few years now!! Used to really enjoy Command & Conquer and sequels, and RPGs (esp Diablo 2). Any suggestions for new games like these for me to try. :lease:

Thanks.

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Diablo II is still worth playing with the expansion pack Lords of Destruction. You can get them very cheaply too these days.

Another recommended RPG is Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic. This is a VERY cinematic game, with a well written story, good graphics and good atmosphere. Its pretty much an RPG lite in a lot of respects, but plays SO well.

Neverwinter Nights is pretty good, with a very strong online community and loads of mods. It's also available at a good price with two expansion packs if you shop around.

Morrowind has a lot of fans, but its not one I've played yet. Again its a year or two old, and you can probably get it cheaply with its two expansion packs.

Finally Beyond Divinity seems to be a Diablo II type game that has had reasonable reviews. I'm watching ebay and I'll snap this up when prices drop a bit as its still very new.

Hope that helps.

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    As for C&C type games, there are a few options.

C&C Generals isn't bad. Not great, but an evolution of the previous games.

Warcraft III is OK too. It didn't float my boat, but a lot of people think its the bees knees.

The EA War in Middle Earth game sounds OK (not sure of title, but its the official EA tie in). It uses the C&C Generals engine so might be worthwhile if you are a fan of the films. This is due to be released in the next month or two I believe.

Hearts of Iron is a love-it or hate-it game. Most people hate it. The learning curve is vertical, and even when you understand what is happening the interface is crap, the graphics / sound primitive and the end-game just plain annoying. I liked it for a while, and do plan to return to it in the future.

Medieval Total War is IMHO the best strategy game around at the moment. You can get a decent deal buying this with the Viking Invasion expansion pack. It will tide things over until.....

Rome Total War. Just buy it when it comes out before the end of the year. Don't ask - just do it.

Finally Rise of Nations is VERY highly rated. I must admit though that it has been sitting gathering dust for about six months now and I haven't yet had the enthusiasm to give it a go.

Just a quick question. If you've been out of gaming for so long, have you considered looking at some of the FPS's out there? There are some very deep tactical games, and some very good online team based games. Off the top of my head, you could think about Planetside (subscription based though), Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Call of Duty, Far Cry, Half Life and all its mods, etc. Its worth thinking about as games like Planetside have a very 'military' feel and can be very rewarding with sustained play.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,490
    The Expansion pack for Diablo II really makes it an other game even with the same characters you have it ads an other dimension to it plus 2 new characters to play.
    Also I enjoyed Baldurs Gate and the expansion pack Tales of the Sword Coast, also Icewind Dale. Which graphically are like Diablo II but you loosely follow a tale and move up to 6 characters around either invalidly or as a group. Fighting is either automatic or a character/s can be selected and a target chosen a handy function is the spacebar can be pressed whilst you are doing the selections.
    Moerrowind is good but until you get the boots of speed you can spend a lot of time walking from one area to an other.

I think Age of Empires is a game in the Command and Conquer vain i.e. building resources and attacking an enemy.

All of the above are on some budget label or can be bought cheap and highly recommend my 2 first choices.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    FALLOUT TWO !!!!!

Its brilliant and SO overlooked

The fact that the combat is turn based makes this (imo) much more like "real" RPGs and allows for more strategy

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Squiffy mentioned Hearts of Iron. This is a great game if you spend the time to get into it & set up the message boxes properly. Does take a bot of getting into but is good fun when you do.

Paradox (the makers of Hearts of Iron & Europa Universialis 1 & 2) have also recently released Victoria - Empire under the sun! This game makes Hearts of Iron look fairly basic and has a superb economic and political model within it. The manual is as bad as Hearts of Iron but there is a lot of help on the relevant internet forums. If you are looking for an accomplished and in depth PC game then this hits the spot (if you are willing to put the effort in to learn it) retails at £19.99 as well so is good value.

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    If you liked Diablo 2, try 'Sacred' - very much in the same vain, and the graphics are top notch for this type of game. I played it through to completion as a battle mage, and might try it again as a gladiator at some point. Make sure you download the latest patch though, as the original release has bugs 'a plenty.

Dean

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,490
    I have just downloaded a demo of Sacred from CNET it takes about an hour on a 512 connection.

There was a good role playing game a few years back I cannot think of the name at present but it was in the Diablo mould and you could play either a warrior, conjurer, or a magician. You started of in different parts but eventually you ended up at the same place.
    One of the main towns you had to enter an archery competition and had to get rid of giant spiders from the mayor’s house. Anyone remember the name of it?

9. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    Garrett, was it 'Nox' by Westwood Studios?. If so, i remember enjoying my time with this one. Not sure if i'm getting it mixed up with another, but i seem to remember my character having a throwing weapon which could rebound off corridor walls etc.

review of Nox here

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,490
    :smashin: Yes you right I thought of it last night myself but forgot all about posting a reply by this morning. :rolleyes:

Your right about the weapon didn’t you get them going into that sort of castle where you fall through the floor. I really enjoyed the game and played all the characters although about a quarter of the way through the plot was the same, but at least some of the cut sequences were different.

11. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hey Garrett, I believe Shacknews has a Thief 3 demo..... go on you know you want to... :thumbsup:

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,490

:smashin: I do I do. Do you have a link and do you have to sign up for anything? I just tried it through Edos and there link does not work.

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Shaknews is here and you have to set up a user account (free). The demos and patches are in the fileshack area (left side column). You have to log on the site to use. Its an American site so using in the mornings over here is the best time. Its a great site for demos and patches and they have never sent spam or sales mail crap to me. :cool:

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,490
    Thanks Graham

I have just downloaded it. But I'm having to play it on low resolution, but it looks nice so far.