Help re new cinema build and positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Thug, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,624
    We are in the process of having an extension built and are having a small living room/snug to the rear that I want to discretely (being the main point) make it into a cinema room.
    The OH isn't too keen on a projector or screen, or even speakers on the wall (but this may be unavoidable. I may even use a in-ceiling mounted screen.

My equipment so far includes a Panny UB700 player, and a Denon 2300 sound system.
    I was thinking about the Epson 7300 (would like the 9300 but cant justify the extra outlay) and was wondering if I positioned the projector over to one side (left top on diagram) would the lens shift give a clear straight picture or would the projector need to be in the centre? Also would the 7300 give a decent enough size screen with this fairly short throw?

I am going to add Atmos speakers to the ceiling as the build goes up and was thinking about putting them central. That way when watching a film the chairs can be brought forward if needed or we can even have them facing the window if we move the room around. Its only a small room, so wont make too much difference I think.

I have added a diagram with my ideas. The door will be an open arch into the dining room.

[​IMG]

2. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,624
    There is no chance I could ceiling mount it.
    The room is 2.5mtr (8'), so the lens may be about 3' off centre.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,624
    Right, my second idea is to swap the room around so the projector screen covers the window. This will have the benefit of also blocking out the light, but will also have the issue of more light getting on to the screen from the dining room as it is an open archway and not a door. The screen is hidden in the ceiling when not in use.

The projector would be placed into a recess into the wall (the wall separates the room from the garage, so it will 'jut out' into the garage itself which wont be an issue as I can just build a shelving unit in the garage to make it look a part of that). This will also have the benefit of a slightly longer throw.

I would find it hard getting this passed by building control though (the wife).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,624
    Yes I did consider that.
    I already have an LG 55" OLED in the living room, but to get a larger 65" would cost around 4 grand (with 3d) and I cant afford that.
    A projector would be £1700 (Epson 7300) and a screen about £500. This would give a larger picture too.
    This is still in the early stages, so may change my mind again, but heart set on projector.