1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP: Radeon 9800 Pro/AE700 @ 720P

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PRINCEGRINCH, Nov 11, 2004.

1. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, I recently purchased an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Card to go with my HTPC so that I could output a 720P Picture via the HDMI port on the Projector. The problem is I can't set the resolution higher than 420P. My projector only picks it up at 420P(or sometimes the resolution locks at 800 x 600 on the Display settings). I've used Power strip to add the native 1280 x 720P setting, however still no luck. It won't allow me to select it. When it does the screen just goes blank. The equipment I'm using is:

O/S Microsoft MCE 2005
    P4 2.6GHz
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    2 x 512MB DDR
    5m Maplin DVI to HDMI Cable http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43457&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=11m11

Please help me out.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How have you tried to select 1280x720? The standard Display Properties | Settings slider won't allow you to since Windows doesn't think the projector can support that mode.

You need to go to Advanced, Monitor, uncheck the 'Hide modes not supported', go to Adapter, click "List All Modes", you should then be able to select the resolution you want from the list. A bit of a PITA but this should work.

If you use the 4.10 Catalyst drivers they come with 1280x720 'built-in', at least they did with my 9700 Pro.

3. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks KraGorn, I managed to select 1280 x 720 modes in both MCE 2005 & XP Prof SP2. The only prob was that I could not get any picture. Just a blank blue screen. The HDMI Connection would only work during boot up (pre-login) @1280 x 720 resolution (XGA). The only time it would work "post login" was @ 800 x 600 max (I think or maybe even lower). Even then I could only see the Windows Desktop WallPaper (excluding start menu, taskbar icons etc).

Could this problem probably be due to the poor construction quality of the Maplin DVI-HDMI Cable? I've read on forums that poor cables sometimes have problems sending 720p pictures. I guess I will know for sure once I recieve my Samsung HDMI DVD Player, as you get two free Cables ( 1 x DVI-HDMI & 1 x HDMI) with it. Looks like I'll have to wait till then, unless you can suggest anything else.

Thanks again for your help.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hard to say without being able to poke around the Control Panel, the blue screen presumably is what the projector shows when there's no signal being recieved. Could be cable I suppose, how long is it?

The reason I'm sceptical is the fact your did get the desktop at 800x600, meaning it a signal can be received at times. Also, the fact that you say you DO get 1280x720 before login but not after again makes me think there's some software control involved, but not being an NVidia user I've no idea where/what.

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi,
    What's the refresh rate?
    Tim.

6. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    KraGorn:

1) The cable is 5m single link DVI-HDMI from Maplins.
    2) The Graphics card is a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.
    3) I can recieve a VGA480 with DVD Playback, at SVGA just desktop wallpaper (no icons, taskbar, start menu, etc) and blue screen (no signal) at XGA.

Both MCE 2005 and MS XP Prof incl SP2 were new installations.

Tim Cooper:

I've tried both 50 and 60 Hertz refresh rates. But still no luck.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    5m isn't usually a length that causes problems, and the Sapphire cards are certainly good.

'Fraid I'm stumped mate. :rolleyes:

8. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanx for the help anyways, looks like the only one thing it could possible be is the wire itself. I will test that once the Samsung DVD Player arrives. By the way I have a question:

what likely to give better picture quality a Samsung HDMI Player with with a Faroudja (upscaling/deinterlacing) or an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro HTPC?

I know in terms of convenience the actual DVD player is much better, but I'd really like to know what would give me optimum picture quality.

Thanks

9. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    im currently using a radeon 9700 to the ae-700 and the 5m maplin dvi-hdmi cable! it took awhile to get it to 1280x720 i found the best way was to use th catalyst control center then use the "force" option which forces it to the specified resolutions, once that is done there is no turning back! i would cancel the player and spend it on more movies or some HDTV content! :thumbsup:

10. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Well it sounds like your running the projector as a secondary display in clone mode, that why you wont get the resolution you want.

Go to display properties, settings advanced, go to the over lay tab and turn off clone mode. then go to the displays tab turn off the monitor and turn on the projector, then try your resolutions