HELP! +R or -R ..... ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SIP, Aug 10, 2003.

1. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Please could someone help me with the following dilema.

I am on the verge of purchasing my first DVD recorder, and cannot decide between "+" or "-". I know about the differences between the formats and understand the difference between RAM & RW, but it is the problem of purchasing the best for my needs, so any helpful advice would be appreciated.

My main uses for the recorder, would be to transfer analogue camcorder footage on to disc, and copy my old VHS tapes. I know that both formats will do this ok, but I am worried about compatibility problems with discs, that I want to share among family & friends.
    I have also heard that the Philips recorder has some problems with copying less than perfect VHS to disc.....is this so?

My initial thoughts were to go for the +RW, due to the fact that this would be more compatible with my existing DVD player, and RAM is not.....by the way, can the E50 record onto -RW, and would that play in a different machine.
    I have been offered both the Philips & Panasonic machines at good prices, so I just need to make my mind up

Thanks

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    E50 will not record to -rw, but will play them.

If you are archiving to keep there is no point in using -rw or -ram for that matter, as it is more expensive than -r, or +r. Go for the panasonic as it is more reliable, reportedly does better copies fronm vhs, and I personally have had no problems with -r playback in any machine I have tried, but have had problems in the same machines with +r.

If you can stretch your budget to it try and find a panasonic HS2 at around £600 or less. It is so much more versatile than the phillips machines or even the E50, and much cheaper than the new generation of hard disc dvd recorders now appearing, yet still gives excellant results.

I can't believe how much use mine gets and how little live tv I now watch. I can decide what I want to watch well in advance, set it up to record whole series of programs that I like, and view at my convenience, skipping through all the ads, saving 15 mins in each broadcast hour of programs.

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Without doubt I would second the kenfowler3966 advice. I think you would do yourself a huge huge favour if you take the plus format off your shopping list. You have already highlighted one of the reasons in your post.

It is easy to put VHS copies onto cheap DVD-R discs which are highly compatible and can be shared among friends. Even easier if your budget allows a HHD/DVD (HS2) type machine. Choose wisely and happy recording........

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    For archiving VHS tapes there is no doubt about it whatsoever - DVD-R is the best choice. The reasoning for this is that VHS is a noisy source and thus the benefits brought by the Variable Bitrate are that much more significant. The Flexible Record feature allows you to minimise wasted space (and obviously increase the bitrate). You also have the knowledge that a DVD-R disk will play in virtually anything as it offers 96.7% compatibility according to CDR-Info:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Art...DVD Media Format Compatibility Tests&Series=0

And also the internet's compatibility bible www.dvdrhelp.com

DVD+R on the other hand offers 87% compatibility - which is a reasonable difference - so why limit yourself to a less compatible media? So for VHS archiving the E50 (or HS2) brings clear benefits.

Depends if you want to archive it or not. Long term archiving benefits from DVD-R for the same reasons as I've outlined above. So again the E50 (or HS2)

If you just want to record, lend to a friend and then erase then you would be better off with a DVD-RW/-R machine rather than a DVD-RAM/-R machine. In such cases I would recommend the upcoming JVC machine (the Sony available now is a well built, solid piece of kit but is quite expensive for it's features). All that said the high compatibility of DVD-R coupled with the cheap prices (as cheap as 50p a disk) may make you prefer just to use a write-once media instead of ReWriteables (with have a limited lifespan and are prone to damage/data loss anyway). Personnally I use dirt cheap DVD-Rs which I treat as 'throw away' to lend recordings to friends.

My opinions on DVD+RW are well known but I think it is a safe, uncontroversial statement, to say this format is totally inappropriate for archiving.

I fully agree with kenfowler - a HDD/DVDR combo brings increased flexibility - if you willing to pay the extra cost. The same functionality can be achieved with a standalone DVDR and a PC DVD burner but with a bit more hastle (but frequently creating better end products).

5. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I own a Sony GX7 & love it, it offers DVD-RW, DVD-R, & DVD+RW recording.
    I use the DV in to record all my camcorder footage to DVD-R.

The only downside it has, is no hard disk, and its price.

Panasonic also make very good recorders, you wont go wrong with one of those.
    Panasonic seem to be making the right recorders at the right price.

If you go for Philips, your stuck with just the "+" format.
    You can get Philips recorders very cheaply, but if you read some posts in the forums, your see that some people have problems with them.

Good luck.

6. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just out of interest, do people asking these "which format?" questions even scroll down a single page to look for similar threads? (ie the 6 page long one cunningly called + or - RW that's been on the go all week?)

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have transferred many camcorder tapes onto DVD+R discs.They have played in all the players they have been tested on.Ok,they do not have FBR,but I just stick 2 or 2 and a half hours on a disc at the appropriate recording level.