1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Question on Component cables!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by clety, Feb 21, 2003.

1. clety

clety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased Toshiba TV 32ZD26p and now bought a MR SD520 DVD player. I wanted to connect the equipment using Component cable to get the best out of Progressive scan. But I am finding difficult to find Component cables.

Somone one this forum suggested that I check out Argos so I bought their '3 phono to 3 phono' lead and then discovered it's not a component cable(y, pr, pb) but phono type jacks.

In the DVD mannual it says that If I use 'component video jacks' then I need to use 'audio cable' as well! At first I thought I just use component cable that would take care of audio and video side. Is that true?

I want to get my hands on a reasonable quality of component cable but I am finding hard to get one from high street stores. Even Richer Sounds have only 1 cable priced at 100 pounds! I know that Internet sites have them but they would take long to arrive and sometimes are out stock! Why are Component cables are not stocked in high street stores as SCART cables are quite common? Does anyone know of any stores where I can get them?

Thanks.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.vdctrading.co.uk/

you need three phono to phono, 75 ohm coaxial cables. About £30 for three x 3M set.

Component ARE phono leads (although some PJ's have BNC's)

You can in fact use composite leads- they are identical.

Nathan

3. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So just to clarify - the three phono to phono leads you have bought from Argos will be OK for component video - you just need a separate set of leads of some kind for the audio...

Don't pay too much for the leads - it isn't worth paying a fortune as you won't hear/see any differerence on many set ups.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as the cables he bought from argos are 75ohm, coaxial.

5. clety

clety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for your replies. The lead that I bought from Argos is OFC (oxygen free copper) with gold plated connecters. The threee colours on the lead are white,red and yellow. That's the same type of lead came with the DVD player, but offcourse Argos one is of better qualtiy.

However on the DVD and TV the colours in socket on back are different to the lead that I have. Does component cable have same colours as the sockets at the back or do they have Y, Pr and Pb laballed?

6. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Match up the colours, rgb coloured sockets on your dvd to the rgb coloured sockets on your tv.

I just made my own component cable; 3 van damme 75ohm cables and 6 phono plugs, cost about £16 altogether!