• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! Question about setting Marantz SR7007

ener1

I have just installed above AV receiver with a 6007 Marantz BD player. I can only select Multi CH IN on the receiver when i play a BD! In other words do not see DTS or whatever...just MULTI CH in on the display of the 7007... I am sure it is a setting but can't figure out what to change. ANy help appreciated
Ener1

dante01

Distinguished Member
It would depend on the audio you are streaming to the receiver and you should set the device streaming the audio to bitstream the audio via HDMI rather than have it set to PCM. Look in the player'x HDMI audi output setting and ensure it is set to BITSTREAM or AUTO rather than PCM or LPCM.

Also turn any instance of secondary audio mixdown on the player OFF.

ener1

Many thanks for your reply. I just checked the marantz ud6007, HDMI is set to bitstream. Display of the 7007 says PCM and indicates multi ch in....
Do I need to change something in the receiver set-up?
Ener1

dante01

Distinguished Member
Many thanks for your reply. I just checked the marantz ud6007, HDMI is set to bitstream. Display of the 7007 says PCM and indicates multi ch in....
Do I need to change something in the receiver set-up?
Ener1

No, none of the receiver's settings would have the effect you describe. Did you also ensure that the player's secondary audio mixdown settings are turned OFF?

ener1

Audio output is set as follows
Coaxial is off
HDMI is bitstream
Down sampling says 48 kHz
Drc ( what ever that means) set to off

Display of the receiver still says pcm.
Many thanks
Ener1

dante01

Distinguished Member
Audio output is set as follows
Coaxial is off
HDMI is bitstream
Down sampling says 48 kHz
Drc ( what ever that means) set to off

Display of the receiver still says pcm.
Many thanks
Ener1

As I said, it is the settings on the player that are causing the player to output PCM rather than bitstreaming the audio to the receiver. Why have you select 48kHz for downsampling? The receiver can handle frequencies up to 192kHz.

You make no mention of downmix and secondary audio settings. If the playing is set to bitstream in relation to HDMI output then I'd suggest the secondary audio settings to be at fault for the player to be outputting LPCM.

What is the player playing while displaying Multi Channel? Ensure that you are actually playing something encoded with a format such as DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TRueHD for testing purpose. You need to play the film and not simply load the disc and view the menu.

Last edited:

ener1

Thanks Dante, I have played a few BDs (DTS-HD) and it remains multi channel and pcm is lit on the 7007. If I go in the bd player menu and set HDMI to off, pcm disappears from the 7007 display.
Ok so now I looked at the display of the marantz bd player and it indicates dts hd mstr whereas receiver remains on pcm/multi ch in.
Ener1

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks Dante, I have played a few BDs (DTS-HD) and it remains multi channel and pcm is lit on the 7007. If I go in the bd player menu and set HDMI to off, pcm disappears from the 7007 display.
Ok so now I looked at the display of the marantz bd player and it indicates dts hd mstr whereas receiver remains on pcm/multi ch in.
Ener1

It is a setting on the player and not the receiver. I can only suggest you ask in the Blu-ray and DVD player forum as to the appropriate settings for the player.

Have you used other forms of connection between the player and receiver as well as HDMI? If so then just use the HDMI connection and disconnect the other cables. You cannot bitstream via multi channel analogue connections and S/PDIF cannot carry HD formats.

Last edited:

ener1

Dante, I found it! It is only accessible when you actually play a blu ray disk. It is a mode button which allows you to switch from audio output. You can then select either HD audio output or Mix audio output. I selected HD audio output and now the SR7007 indicates the correct sound output and PCM has disappeared. Thanks for putting me on the right track!
Ener1

dante01

Distinguished Member
Dante, I found it! It is only accessible when you actually play a blu ray disk. It is a mode button which allows you to switch from audio output. You can then select either HD audio output or Mix audio output. I selected HD audio output and now the SR7007 indicates the correct sound output and PCM has disappeared. Thanks for putting me on the right track!
Ener1

I did actually tell you this previously, but anyway …

glad that you sorted it out ;)

ener1

Well I'm not that "technical" ...I just want it to work and enjoy ...hence it is good that people like you are around! :)
Thanks again
Ener1

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom