Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help! - Question about progressive scan

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Spacedog, Aug 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I wonder if any of you guys can help me with this. I apologise if this is a stupid question but i'm still a little confused about this stuff.

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur Series 540D player (which BTW i simply LOVE) and i know it's capable of outputting progressive scan through the component outs. What i DON'T know is what kind of progressive scan will i get when watching a normal DVD in a V32!! 480p? 546p? 720p? 1080i? All of them?? None of those?? what is the maximum "step" that this player can go??

And about interlaced? will i get all the 4 modes interlaced or just 480i? or none of them?

I'm still new to this progressive scan stuff so i would greatly appreciated if any of you could explain it to me like i was 5 years old

Thanks very much in advance!!

2. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This dvd player is not an upscaling dvd player and so will display 576p for PAL and 480p for NTSC discs. But im shore it will look good on your new tv

3. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankx for your help pryce3. But since the V32 is 1366 x 768 does it mean the V32 will be upscaling the 576p image from the DVD player?? is that how it works??

I've read a lot about the issue of buying an upscaling DVD player or let the HD Ready tv (like the V32) do that job... but that just puzzles me more! Do the tv's upscale to? so it means that if i have a non-upscaling dvd player (like my beautiful 540D :D ) will the V32 upscale the 576p image of the dvd player into 720p?? :confused: and what about the upscaling dvd players (like the denon 2910 or the panny s97) with an HDTV?? will them be both doing the upscaling??? :confused: :confused:

Sorry about all the newbe questions... any help is appreciated :)

Thankx again!

4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The television will upscale the image to 1366x768 automatically, however an upscaling player will generally do a better job, which is why people buy them in the first place. :)

Not to say the TV will do a bad job, just that the player will be better. I just received my Oppo Digital player today, and it does an amazing job. There's no aliasing, ("jaggies") shimmering, bleeding, edge enhancement etc in the image whatsoever, so it looks much nicer than the internal scaler.

5. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suppose that, in the beggining of the above phrase, you mean "tv" instead of "player"? :)

Thankx very much for your help! :thumbsup:

6. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yes, sorry. :oops:

Thanks for the correction; I'll edit it now incase anyone else reads it and doesn't realise my mistake.

Something I should point out; don't worry about the television scaling 1280x720 (720p) to 1366x768; there's such a little resolution difference, even the worst scaler should do a good job.

It's not great for PC use with lots of small text onscreen, but you're unlikely to notice it with video.

1366x768 native resolution 1:1 mapped:
    [​IMG]

1280x720 scaled to 1366x768 by the television:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there's not a huge amount of difference between the two; you'd only notice it on things like small text and not video.

Both pictures were taken from the exact same position in manual mode, with no camera sharpening, and have been saved as a lossless file, so the only differences you see are on the screen.

Basically, the less scaling the television has to do, the better the picture will (generally) be.

7. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i think i got it! :thumbsup:

Nevertheless, I guess i'll stick with my CA 540D for the moment as i can't seem to find an upscaling dvd player that will sound nearly as good as mine :D Perhaps CA will make an upgraded version of the 540D in the near future... if not i'll just wait for the true HD-DVD players :)

Thankx a lot again for your precious explanation! :thumbsup:

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Samsung HD 850 or 950 - £70-80 and £110 respectively, online.

9. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    tried my V32 yesterday with several dvd's, black hawk down, LOTR and a chick flick and all looked spectacular through progressive scan from standard 7 year old dvd player.

forget the numbers game and judge things with your own eyes!!!