1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!! QUAD 99 serie CD-P AND STEREO POWER AMP

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by framerc, Dec 7, 2004.

1. framerc

framerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, well, well....

I just got the Quad serie-99, Stereo power-amplifier and CD-P (which is a cd player and a pre-amp at the same time.) I thought I was good with connecting sound systems, but apprently I am not with this one.

Could somebody be so kind and explain to me in details how to connect these two??? I want my babies to work!!!

thanks in advance!!!

by the way, this is a cool board!

2. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    You need a conventional stereo interconnecting lead. The usual type with two plugs at each end (for left and right).

At the CD-P there are two pairs of sockets. One pair is labelled 'Fixed' the other pair is labelled 'Variable'. You need to use the pair labelled 'Variable'. The top one is the left output, the bottom one is the right output. *Do not use the Fixed output pair*

At the Stereo power amp end, connect the other ends of the interconnect cable. The top plug is left, and the bottom right - just like the CD player. They may be colour coded white (left) and red (right) if I recall correctly. There is a rotary dial on the rear panel of the power amp. This needs to be set to the 'Input' position (or is it called 'Phono', again I can't recall without actually seeing it ?). It's at the midnight position. Don't set it to any of the CH1 & CH2, or CH3 & CH4, or CH5 & CH6 positions. (None of this dial thing applies if you have the 909 power amp BTW). This is your way of telling the power amp that you are using the standard interconnects, rather than the QuadLink multi-pin cable.

In that set-up configuration (CD-P direct to Power amp) you don't use the QuadLink cable - it becomes redundant. QuadLink cable is only ever used if you have bought the seperate pre-amp.

Connect speakers to power amp in normal way.

HTH

3. framerc

framerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your help, I am now enjoying the pure pleasure of QUAD. Though the sound is excellent, I am starting to look around for speakers that will give me optimum quality. I am presently looking into the L serie and totem products,... Would you have any other suggestions???

4. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Blimey, well there's such a lot of them isn't there ? Besides the ones you mention, then the new Ruark Talisman III would be worth an audition. The Dynaudio speakers go well with Quad also. Perhaps some Spendors if you're looking at £1000 and over. For the Quads then you want something with high resolution and low coloration generally.