1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"help" Q50 With Or Without Prog Scan ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SAINT, Jun 6, 2002.

1. SAINT

SAINT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have seen the light and am now going to buy a new Tv and DVD player ; philips 36" 9607/9767 + Q50.

I was reading about the Q50 in the forums and am not sure wether to buy the uk model or us/asian model with prog scan ??

Does it make a difference to me as i have heard its better for ppl with rear proj (CORRECT ME IF IM CHATTING CRAP!).

Have been shoPping around and have found the best price at unbeatable.co.uk for £238! i also read that hibitz sell the prog scan one has this been confirmed ?

A few more queries should i buy extra warranty or is it sufficient if i am to buy with my barclaycard ? which is the best scart cable to get for about £30ish ? vivanco or QED? HELP ? lastly is it correct that if i dont buy from authorised dealer then when its time for repair there would be problems ? is unbeatable authorised dealer ?

Thank you to anyonwe who can help me .........

A worried saint

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Not a daft question.

I questioned Link UK on this a while back. I asked if their advert for DcDi meant PS (if I didn't know!). They sent a reply and said yes. I questioned their answer, much to their annoyance. It was bounced to their technical guy who said he would get back to me. Guess what they never did.

Unless it comes from the far east assume it is R2:mad: unless PROVED otherwise.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was looking at the Asian Q50 (and Q30 which strangely won't do DTS, not even "digital out") and the former is labelled as NTSC progressive capable. The version selling here in Taiwan is R3. The dealer told me he could not make it multiregion for me, so I left it in the shop. (As well I found the price here too high for the Q50.)

A friend of mine in Singapore got a Q50 and is quite happy with it but he is not so much into AV though if you insist I could ask him about the multiregion issue ...

4. SAINT

SAINT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx

have decided to go for uk model ...... from unbeatable.co.uk wanted to order today but just wanna clear up last few queries .......

about buying extra warranty should i ??? and not
    being authorised dealer and most important WHICH SCART CABLE SHOULD I GET????? have been thinking about vivanco or qed???

please please get back to me asap so i can place the order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the saint

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in the Q50 as well, it just looks the part ^_^ Anyway you can make the DVD player multiregion quite easily... You just need a new remote to do it though. Good thing for me is that since Philips often shares it technology with other firms (like Yamaha) so the same hack I used for my Yamaha S510 is the same for the Q50...

I'd like to know more about prog scan with this player... In the mags it said that it doesn't support prog.scan but the asian ones do? Doesn't help me much though since I don't have any contacts >_<

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, the Asian model is NTSC progressive. It also supports PAL but not PAL PS, at least I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pretty sure its is PAL PS... listed hivizone or at least it used to be.

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to hivitzone... It doesn't exactly strike me as a site to trust but thats just me. I might just get a diff player like the Tosh that can do prog.scan instead.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hivizone as excellent, they can be trusted and if you order by credit card you have protection anyway.

Cheers
    Andy.

10. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instructions to convert the NTSC progressive scan model Q50 to both NTSC and PAL progressive scan can be found here

Adam

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Neoblade... remember we are talking about the q50 here because it can do PAL progressive scan.

the tosh can only do NTSC.

the Harman Kardon DVD25 is meant to have pal progressive scan and has been posted on the web as such now... one site is even selling it with this in the spec.
    might be worth investigating if that what you are after... approx £450... may go this route myself when/if I get my Denon 2800 back.

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martinco, I don't mind that the tosh can only do NTSC prog.scan since 97% of my DVDs are region 1. Although after reading this site posted by Adam has made me reconsider... Trouble is I haven't got a clue if the Toshiba 36ZT29B supports PAL prog.scan or not.

I have looked at the Harman player and the Marantz DV7010 but I haven't seen many reviews for them... NTSC Prog.scan is a must while PAL prog.scan would be a bonus because I'm not certain if the Tosh TV supports it.

Are there any other sites that sell an asian Q50? Is there a difference in hardware between the UK and asain models? (for prog.scan) Since there seems to be firmware available on the net... But if all of the components are identical then in theory the UK Q50 should be able to output in prog.scan.

Thanks in advance

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Linkonline eventually got back to me after an extensive email ping pong and prodding. They would not answer the question until I showed them their advert claiming their Q50 did PS!

Their final email said

"Hi Dominic

The Q50 is not progressive scan

Mike"

It took them 10 weeks to answer, guess they embarrassed about lying. Got the distinct impression they would have bluffed it out if they hadn't come up against someone who knew something.

Buy your Q50 from R3 if you want PS.

14. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dont know exactly the model you mean.. isn't this just a standard TV and not a plasma?
    if so, then its doubtful it will support any type of progressive scan at all. AFAIK, in UK only some Loewe TV models support prog scan.

most of the Toshs support standard component in though... just not progressive through this connection.

also... dont confuse DVD players' progressive scan output with what some manufacturers like Hitachi refers to as a "progressive scan" mode on particular big model TVs. completely different..

as Nic has just confirmed (and has been stated in reviews, specs etc), the Q50 Europe has NO progressive scan capabilites at all... the chipset is just not there to do it, though obviously component out is still available.

silly really.. since they'd be selling like hotcakes if it did have the chipset. go figure... definite own goal from Philips on this.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to know if there were identical in terms of hardware spec, but as you said it isn't since they took the chip out. Some players I've heard about had certain features disabled, even though the player was capable (technically). Even the Q50 has prog.scan PAL with a remote hack, but then the plasma's people have tested it with, wasn't 575p compatible. Check the link Adam posted.

As for the Toshiba TV it does support internal NTSC prog.scan like the Loewe TVs, but I'm not sure it does PAL prog.scan. I wasn't confused with the so called "prog scan feature" of other TV sets like the Panasonic PB50, etc. I'm not a complete AV newbie ^_^ I just wanted to know other sites than hivizone.com that would sell an asian Philips Q50.

Is a real shame though that they took the chip out. It just looks the part and from the reviews it does perform pretty well. Its going to be another week until I get my hands on the new Tosh TV set, I just hope it doesn't have as many faults as the ZP18... Even though it uses the same core components. If it does then I'll just get a Philips, Loewe or a Panasonic set.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If you look under the hood of a R2 Q50 there is a big square gap on the PCB where other regions get the Sage chip. Same PCB but with gaps on it! Dooooh. I get the distinct impression Philips shot themselves in the foot on this one, it could have sold like hot cakes, now it just being jobbed off. (Good value at £229 by the way). Luckily Philips is a big company and it learns from it’s mistakes. Their new DVD / SACD 962 player also has Sage de-interlacing built in, in R3 etc. Having learned their mistake with the Q50, they have obviously left it in, in the new 962 R2 version. Doooh, unfortunately not.

See it is not just Sony I have a pop at.

Wakey wakey Philips, you are not supplying what people want.
    ;)

17. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep.. a shame they took the chipset out of the Q50... would've been much simpler if they'd just called it a completely different model number to save the confusion.

the philips 763 coming in the next 3 months to Europe will have the same progressive scan chipset, and should be what most of us are after - a pal/ntsc prog scan player at reasonable price that works perfectly without any problems. fingers crossed.

I've posted about the hkardon dvd25 which may do pal prog also... but not much feedback, or little known about it.

I wasn't aware Tosh were doing a true progressive scan TV yet.. (presumeably a new model?). nice to see them supporting it... wouldn't be surprised if it did pal progressive - if the pal standard finally gets "official" status over the next 6-9 months it would be a bit silly not to have the feature ready.

18. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the new flagship models have true prog.scan compatibility. I know the 32" and 36" models have it, like the 36ZT29B, which has DVB at RRP £2,220. The only bad thing is that it uses the same core components as the ZP18... To those who didn't have a problem then great, but to those that did (like me) it was hell. If this fails then I'm going to get the Loewe TV if I can find it.

Are there any websites that has full specs of the Philips 763 by any chance? I can wait 3 months if the product is worth it since I still have to buy some B&W speakers and wait for my TV.

Thanks in advance

19. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes... its on the main philips site..

have a look for manuals, and you should be able to search by model... there's a 763 english one listed.

the link has been posted by ian guinan before on here.. you could have a search.

20. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look back on this thread, Ian didn't post once at all ::shrugs:: Unless I've gone blind that is. I had a look at the philips.co.uk site before I posted and it wasn't on the product list... (just the 762) Didn't look at the manuals though so I'll have a browse on the .co.uk and .com sites.

Still, its nice to see the US Philips site listing the Q50AT on their site. Should be easier to buy a US DVD player than an asian one. I'll just sit tight anyway until the Philips model has been reviewed and released before making a decision though.

21. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    when I said on here... I meant the forums as a whole...

post was 3-4 weeks back in the dvd or progressive scan forum.

22. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1