1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help ! Pw6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bergkamp10, Nov 16, 2004.

1. bergkamp10

bergkamp10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, I have taken the plunge and bought a Pw6 which has come with a BNC Composite Video board.

I have scanned through all the post on this forum and done a search and I havent got a clue what anyone is talking about half the time !!!

I have a DVD player and an NTL box which have scart outputs. The board has an S-video input (which dosent seem to be in favour on this board due to quality concerns) and some other inputs (dont know what they are called) but it says video in on the manual.

Can someone tell me the best way to connect scart plugs to these inputs !!!! in English please !!! :D

Go easy on me, I havent got a clue what I am doing !! :lease:

2. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, use the component board for connecting your DVD player, if your player only has scart then it would be wise to invest in a DVD player with component connections (cheap DVD players only have scart, some not even rgb!) something like this panny 55 click here would be a good investment as it also doubles as a DVD recorder.

for connecting your NTL box you could buy a scart input module for the screen, but seeing as you havent already spent money on a scart input then your best bet is to buy a JS scart to VGA box click here and connect to the screen via the PWD6's built in VGA port, (note: make sure the NTL box supports RGB via the scart output).

you'll find loads of information on the PWD6 here,
    don't be afraid to ask questions, we all have to start somewhere.

Spook

3. bergkamp10

bergkamp10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that ! I hadnt noticed any other inputs on the screen....although it hasnt been out of the box yet.....my girlfriend cant lift one side to get it on the stand !

4. MillionDollar

MillionDollar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What DVD do you have?

I have been given the same advice as you:

I have to connect my DVD player to my PW6 via a Component Cable, (Which has three different connectors.
    Here is an example of the cable, I'm not suggesting to buy it form these guys Just to look at. www.cableuniverse.co.uk

Next I was told to connect my Sky Box to the PW6 Screen via that JS scart to VGA box, Which is £120. Then everything should work.

Would you think about buying a new DVD? I have gone for the Pioneer DV-575A-S, which has had very good reviews, available in Black and Silver. It is available for a good price of £130 at these guys. I have ordered my whole system from them just now. Another good thing is you can get 9 months interest free with them on orders over £120.http://www.hifix.co.uk

:smashin:

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    bergkamp10, is your board definitely Composite or is it Component as it makes a big difference. I suspect that if your board also supports s-video, it's the composite one.

If it's the composite/s-video one, the s-video will give a better picture than composite. You can get a scart to s-video and audio rca cable and then you'll need some rca to bnc converters. Cables with bnc connectors aren't very common.

If it's a component board, then a DVD player with component output is your best bet as Spook says. This will give a very good picture.

I also agree with Spook that you'd be better off getting JS Tech RGB to VGA converter for your NTL box at it very most probably does RGB via the scart. I have a Telewest cable box set up in this way and it does give a better picture than my now redundant scart board. Telewest and NTL use the same Pace boxes, which is probably what you have.

6. bergkamp10

bergkamp10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its defniitely composite - as I have the manual in front of me !! :D

I have the harmon kardon dvd 22 machine which has progressive scan output apparently !!

Telewest have only just given me the box so should be the latest version which I assume supports RGB. I am not at home so cant look, but is it purely a scart output on the cable box? do you have to change the settings to RGB output or anything

thanks for everyones help much appreciated :clap:

7. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's a real shame that it's the composite board. To get progressive scan from the DVD to the plasma you need component. If the HK DVD says it'll do progressive scan then it'll have connectors for three component cables. I have the HK DVD 25 and I get a fabulous picture via component into my PWD6. I get a great picture with the DVD set to output progressive scan or interlaced. Is there anyway you can change that composite board for a component one?

In your cable set top box there should be a settings menu where you can select either RGB or composite.

There are many options available for connecting things up and you could even connect your DVD directly to the VGA on the plasma using a suitable cable as the VGA port can be configured to accept component. However, that would leave you to connect your cable box to your composite board. As digital cable is a poor picture quality source to begin with, you'll probably end up with quite a poor composite picture. Unfornately you can't even try the better s-video connection as the cable boxes don't support it (at least I know that the Pace ones don't).

If you can afford it, get the JS Tech converter and a component board.

8. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got the E55 with my PW6 recently and run my freeview through the AV2 on the E55 which then upconverts the RGB signal to YUV - means a single cable and the ability to record Freeview/cable if required. Not sure if this delivers better PQ than a JS convertor but why spend £130 on a convertor when you can spend £205 and get progressive scan DVD as well. ;) Also, cables are Van Damm component to VGA that just plugs into the VGA port.

9. bergkamp10

bergkamp10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok chaps, I have ordered the component board...which I think sort the prog scan out on the DVD.

Do i need some sort of box to plug the cable scart into to make it into component out ? nearly there i think !!!!

10. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If your going to pass it through the e55 you just need a good quality fully-wired scart-to-scart, like QED for example, and connect it to the AV2.

For information, you can pass your PS2 [for games] through the 2nd scart output on your cable/freeview and it will pass through the e55 and be upconverted to YuV - there were some concerns that copyright protection might kick in but thses are unfounded.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    see the "help a beginner" thread where PW6 connectivity and options have been dicussed at great length...where did you buy the screen from?

12. bergkamp10

bergkamp10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got from the ideal home show with the harmon karden dvd and surround sound thing. Rigged it up to the dvd player last night with the S-video lead - not a bad picture but sometimes a bit blurry (only dvd i could find was a football one !) (just moved house !)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well moving to component should sort the blurryiness out..