help PW5 question

L

lpro

Go my Panny 5 yesterday, it's up the wall and looks fantastic. now the problem.

I thought it came with s-video connection, howver I'm wrong, the panny came with tuner board. I currently run the sky throught the RGB VGa box from Mr Sim. What do I need to connect my dvd upto the plasma, I knda of unwilling to pt with another 400 squids for the tuner box and the 5 panny does not supply a S-video board. Any one got any ideas of what is the best route to connect the dvd and plasma???

Cheers guys, btw the piccy through the VGA box is superb.

ipro

I've already had a few calls from new PW5 customers who have been supplied units pre fitted with the Tuner board - strangely enough Panasonic say the standard config is with the RCA board (I wonder if there are 15 units out there supplied with the tuner board!!!).

You can purchase the RCA or BNC board and fit these yourself - gives you Composite, S-Video and RGB or Component.

Cost for the RCA or BNC is around £ 200.00 - which makes any 'special' offers on this panel a bit of a joke.

Best regards

Joe

PS You could always try and sell the Tuner board as it is a cost extra for anyone wanting to purchase the tuner!

PPS You will have to take the panel down off the wall to fit the board - sorry!

Thanks for the info. Where's the best place to go to purchase the rca board. When I spoke to Mr Panasonic they were unwilling to do anything but the tuner (which I don't want).

BTW anyone interested in purchasing the tuner board???? One owner never used.

IPRO:

Nice to know that the RGB to Plasma VGA unit works ok with the tuner only version of the Panasonic. Just need to find the other 14 people who are scratching their heads in wonder....

Seriously, if you didn't know about the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, you'd be sitting with a plasma screen with two connectors, neither of which you could connect to your DVD or Sky box. And I've heard that the supplier doesn't off any solutions on how to connect these up!

It says to me that you're better talking with dedicated retailers who deal with these screens, and interfaces, every day.

All the best,

Dr. John Sim.

John, you're absolutly correct. The fact that Mr panasonic shop are only willing to talk with me after I've given them £500 is pathetic.

BTW I had an AV installer come and put my panny up for me (better to be safe than sorry) and they put two in the day before and they were amazed with the results I'd got through the VGA box compare to the other installs the previous day. I gave the guys your details so you may be getting a call. no chance of a finder fee!!!!;)

My local Panasonic shop in Plymouth keep telling me that the 5 series screen is only available with the tuner interface and that I have to buy the tuner. I will not be able to connect any other signals to it.

They also tell me that the tuner box will route progressive scan signals from a DVD RGB through to the screen.

Is this what you expect from a dedicated dealer?

Hugh

Originally posted by Hugh Williams
My local Panasonic shop in Plymouth keep telling me that the 5 series screen is only available with the tuner interface and that I have to buy the tuner. I will not be able to connect any other signals to it.

From what I've been told (I'm not a plasma screen retailer, but do do interfaces) you can remove the tuner board and replace it with the more standard video input board. While you can opt for the tuner box, it's not necessarly the way to get the best possible picture.

All the best,

John.

Hugh,

It appears to me that your dealer is wrong about the W5 Panny having a tuner board as standard. I have had my W5 for over a week now, It was supplied without any board fitted (mistake by supplier), they sent on the RCA Terminal Board, which took a matter of moments to install.....

Seems to me they are telling you that so you have to fork out for the tuner box!!!

You will still have the VGA input which you can plung in your RGB device with the help of the superb JS Plasma Box!! (Thanks for that John!!!)

Hope this helps,

Neill

Hugh

No - its what I would expect from a dealer who is possibly new to selling Panasonic displays and is possibly being led a bit of a dance by there local rep.

Your dealer can order the display pre fitted with the RCA board from Panasonic Consumer and you can then choose how best to utilise the inputs.

Best regards

Joe

Hi,

I ws in my local sevenoaks dealer yesterday enquiring about panasonic plasmas and he said that they are no longer stocking them as the new model can only be bought with the tuner box and the picture quality is not as good as the outgoing PW4B model. He was recommending that I go for the fujitsu.

After reading this thread I am not sure whether to trust the guy as obviously it is possible to get one with the BNC board fitted. There seems to be a lot of misinformation going round.

Has anyone compared picture quality of the old and new models?

regards, njr

njr,

Would I be right in saying that the branch of Sevenoaks you visited was in Reading?

I too got exactly the same response from them when I went in there the other day. They tried to convince me that the picture on the new model was terrible.

Now I had literally just come from the Panasonic center a few doors along in the same little shopping arcade where I had seen both the PW5 and the older model side by side. The PW5 was playing Disneys Tarzan and looked excellent. The older model was playing Lord of the rings. When I asked to compare both models side by side I couldn't get an accurate comparison because the older panel was wired up using RGB and the new panel using composite video (I was told it had to be done like this becasue of limited connections and the need to show the same picture on many TV's at once).

The guy at Sevenoaks had also compared the new and old models at the Panasonic center but hadn't checked how the 2 different models were connnected and had based his comparison on this fundamentally flawed viewing along with the current 'internet gossip' about cheaper (and therefore, in some peoples eyes, lower quality) components being used in the new model (although I believe he had also had a tour of the Panasonic factory recently where he was told similar).

I wasn't particularly impressed that someone from a good quality company like Sevenoaks (from whom I have quite happily purchased all my audio equipment from in the past) had missed how the video connections were made when doing a side by side comparison.

For what it's worth I have complelety ignored their advice and have pretty much decided to go with the Panasonic PW5. I certainly won't be getting the Fujitsu.

-Steve

It's always difficult making comparisons. Whenever you go in to a shop, they've got the equipment connected up via differnet means. So, are you comparing the screen or the source??

If one's using composite (yuk!), and the other RGB, ask them to swap them round. Then you'll have a better idea.

All the best,

John.

Just to report back. I thought I try the tuner whilst I lait for the RCA board. Well the picture through the digi box is no where near the standard of JS's Box and the S-Video feed can only go through the front of the tuner without any conversion. After checking connections etc for over 2 hrs I took it back saying that it was cr!p and nowhere nr as good as what I was getting running through a third party product. They refunded me.

I've just looked on the panny website at the PW5 and it's meant to come with a RCA board which includes s-vid and BNC inputs. Just phoned the dealer and told him he was telliong me b"ll.

It seems all the panny dealers are trying to flog the nice looking but crap Tuner with th PW5. In for a penny in for a pound a.

Based on the fact that the Panny tuner seems overpriced and not very good, can anyone recommend a way to view terrestrial TV and teletext etc (PIP maybe) without using my Sky digibox or video (SVHS no teletext). i need it easy to use for my family and the Sky box runs a mutiroom system already. This tuner problem is putting me off the PW5 which is a pity cos it seems the best. panasonic are letting us down here.

Originally posted by steve-j
njr,

Would I be right in saying that the branch of Sevenoaks you visited was in Reading?

I had exactly the same thing from Sevenoaks in Guildford. "Fujitsu over Panasonic," they were saying.

I had the same a couple of months back when I first started looking at the Panny. The recommended the Fujitsu 4233. Tunbridge Wells Branch.

However it appear they have untold fujitsu on their Stock and no Pannys, work it out for yourself.

Glad I went the PW5 route.

I'm thinking of going the Plasma route in the next few weeks, wife permitting :), and was thinking of Panny PW4/PW5. I am worried about connecting it up, however. I've got a 3.5 year old Pioneer 717 DVD which has Scart RGB and S video (I think, never used it). I have Sky+ box, which I also connect using Scart, and again, think it has Svideo (can't remember). I connect the Sky+ into my VCR (which I now use very little since Sky+ purchase) and daisy chain Scart into my TV (hence unfortunately not using RGB, but my oldish 32" Sony only has one RBG Scart input which I use for DVD, and only 2 Scarts in total).

I have a Yamaha DSP-A2 that can video switch SVideo or composite, but neither RBG or component, and my DVD can't output component anyway. I don't use it's video switch at the moment. What is my best route for a) input card and b) connecting it all up. What's this SIM VGA box people are talking about? I've also seen a cheap (£120ish) 3rd party tuner box that is supposedly capable of deinterlacing input signals (Svideo) and sending it to plasma via VGA connector. Is it worth it, or would it be false economy? I don't really need another tuner given Sky+ and VCR. £3500ish is already really stretching my budget, so spending more on additional boxes/connection methods is not ideal. At some point in the medium term I'll probably replace my DVD with something capable of outputting component, so it'll be nice to have that connection option. Does the Panny tuner box do some additional deinterlacing/progressive scan conversion or is that a feature of any input method you use?

Any advice much appreciated - I really don't know what to do and my knowledge is patchy to say the least :blush:.

Andrew

Originally posted by boltoa
What's this SIM VGA box people are talking about?

Best to go directly to the website:
http://www.rgbtosvideo.com

where you can see my products, including the RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

This requires RGB, which you'll have from both your DVD player and Sky + Digibox. Later, when you do upgrade to a DVD player with component video, you still have the component connections free on your screen and will easily be able to connect in.

Your VCR should go in directly to the screen via the composite video input.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Splendid. Looks very useful. Assuming I have an RGB connection from DVD and Sky+, how do people switch these? The RGBtoVGA box only has one input, and I can't switch this on the AV amp. I could use a conventional Scart switch box, but a) that's a pain in the arse, especially since I'd probably want a remote controllable one (I have a RC5000, so adding to macro would be fairly easy) and b) it's another possible source of signal degradation.

OK, now a question probably for PW4/PW5 owners (or even the Toshiba WP16 clone). What input card (given they appear to be optional/swappable) gives VGA, composite, and component connections for later upgrade? I've seen mention of RCA, BNC, and tuner cards. As far as I know, RCA and BCP are just different flavours of connectors, but I could be wrong on this (and I probably am :)).

This place seems to do a good deal on the PW4 including a BNC board, which seems to include a VGA connector (good), BNC Video in (this just a single composite connector but BNC rather than RCA flavour?) s-video in (good, I think), and "BNC G/Y, B/Pb.R/Pr.HD.VD In" (component, I presume, although with separate HD and VD, which may be a problem?). Is this good? Am I going to be able to connect a DVD with component out directly to this? Is it worth waiting for the PW5? Seems like a very good offer to me. I'd just need to get this, a wall bracket (170ish), one of the good Doctor's RGBtoVGA widgets (120), and possibly a remote control scart switcher. Brings me to £3500 which is quite good, I think.

And if anyone buys the last of the stock from that place before I decide, I'll come round your house and beat you up :devil: :). Just rung them, apparently they've got about 8 left.

Cheers, Andrew

i have a toshiba with the rca board i use
ntl digital box > rgb to vga, very good picture
dvd player >component, great picture
video player > composite , surprisingly good picture
s-video> nothing at the moment , very good picture
i would not bother waiting for the new one unless you want a higher rez screen for pc use
get one of these tosh/panny4/ while you still can

The only thing to be aware of is that if you put Sky on VGA, you won't be able to use the 'JUST' mode of the Plamsa.

"Just" is the mode which does a bit of stretching and a bit of zooming to make 4:3 transmissions fit on a 16:9 screen.

If you put Sky on Component, you will either have to watch in 4:3, or use zoom (where you will loose something from the top and bottom) or 'wide' (where everything will look short and fat).

Some people don't care about this, but as Sky output a mixture of wide and 4:3 material, this might be an issue.

I am going to go down the 'component' route, but I am lucky as my DVD player has 2xSCARTS which allow RGB loop-thru.

This means that both my DVD and Sky box will connect into one input.

The problem will come if/when I get a new component compatable DVD player.. When i do that, i will have to put in a switch, or move Sky to the VGA input (but live without 'JUST').

If only Panasonic allowed 'just' mode on ALL inputs.. This wouldn't be a problem!

Which input does it allow "just" on then? Svideo? composite? It is handy to use this mode cos watching 4:3 on a 16:9 display always looks odd, even if it is "right". I suppose I could send the Svideo on Sky+ to the plasma and use the VGA connection for DVD only.

I've also just read that the PW5 has 3:2 pulldown detection, which I guess will improve DVDs. Question is, how much, and is it worth the extra £350 (including adding the BNC board on the AVSales price).

All good stuff!

Andrew

As far as I know, every input allows 'just' except VGA.

I am guessing that the reason being that VGA is intended as an input from a PC. A such, the resolution of the PC would exactly match the resolution of the screen (852x480) so there would be no use for 'just'.

Its a shame though.. This would makes things really easy.

I wonder if its possible through the service menu??

Boltoa

I guess you have pretty much covered all the bases but here's my version of your connectivity conundrum:

VCR - SCART to Composite video out + add a simple S-Video barrel adapter and input to an S-Video input on your AV amp.

SKY+ - S-Video out to S-Video in on AV amp.

SKY+ - RGB out to RGB in on Quattro+ SCART switch (IR control).

DVD - RGB out to RGB in on Quattro+ SCART switch.

Quattro+ - RGB out to RGB in on JS Tech RGB2VGA converter.

RGB2VGA - 15 pin D-Type out to 15 pin D-Type in on Plasma display.

AV amp - S-Video out to S-Video in on Plasma display.

This way you can use the SKY+ remote to switch between RGB and S-Video out as and when you require the 'Just' mode - and possibly you could programme your Pronto with a macro to execute; though I'm not sure on that one!

As for choice of display - then there are certainly many owners on this forum who will testify to the great picture quality achievable on a 4 Series Panasonic display.

I guess the very small leap forward that is the 5 Series would be worth it once you get a new DVD player - though arguably the 4 Series + a £300 or so head start on the new DVD player is never going to be a bad choice!

My first choice of display is always to go with the Charcoal surround D models - 4 or 5 Series; I always feel the Silver bezel detracts a bit from the picture; it always seems to reduce the contrast of the screen.

If you get a B model Silver display ensure it has the RCA terminal board and for the D model Charcoal display ensure it has the BNC terminal board - if you have either of these boards and stick to my wiring plan you will still have an option to introduce a Progressive Scan DVD player with Component video out.

Best regards

Joe

Jon - no option in the 'service' or 'integrator' menu to make adjustments to the RGB input 'aspects'.

jmack - its only the new TH-42PHD5BX model that has the higher resolution (1024x768) screen the TH-42PWD5BX retains the same (852x480) format as the PWD4 model.

Lovely jubbly - thanks for the suggestions.

To be honest I might ditch the VCR from the TV room completely. I don't think we've used it since I got Sky+. I've got the Sky networked round the house using Sky Links, so I can use one of my other 2 VCRs (ahem) to record a second Sky channel if needs be. And when Sky actually release the software update that allows 2 channel recording (Q1 next year, from what I've heard), even that will be redundant.

So I'll just take the Sky+ SVideo direct to the plasma and use that for 'just' when I want it, and RBG out as you suggest when I want top picture quality through VGA.

Given the BNC board allows either 15pin VGA or 5 BNC connectors, and Doctor John sells VGA-VGA or VGA-5BNC, I assume the 5BNC will be the better quality option? Probably make **** all difference, but I like to know it's doing the best it can :).

Lack of prog scan knowledge coming out here - I've read the big web pages, but it still hasn't fully sunk in :) - given that the plasma deinterlaces an interlaced signal to display it and has "progressive scan processing", what will the difference be if I get a prog scan DVD? Apart from native component outputs that is? Surely it's just a case of where it does the prog scan stuff, isn't it? Or have I missed something? Should I be asking this on the prog scan forum :)?

Ta all

lpro, sorry for hijacking your original thread, by the way :).

Andrew

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom