• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Help purchasing a receiver

takuters

Novice Member
Hello,

I've recently been gifted a Yamaha YHT-450 6.1 surround sound system. This is my first time setting up such a system and I need some guidance on which kind of receiver to buy. I don't plan on using this with a TV or gaming console, but strictly as a music playing device in a small bedroom. I've done some quick googling and found some 6.1 receivers on amazon but they're pretty expensive and I think I read somewhere that to utilize the system for only audio functions, I only need to purchase a stereo receiver.

However, I'm having trouble finding a 6.1 channel stereo receiver. The 6 speakers have the normal L/R wiring hook up (sorry I don't know what they're called) and the 1 subwoofer I THINK is just an RCA input.

Again, I'm a complete novice so sorry if this is such a monumentally elementary question. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.

D

Deleted member 39241

Hello!

Stereo is 2 channels of audio, left and right, played back through 2 speakers.

6.1 is a multi channel surround sound.

In my view, stereo music is best listened to on stereo speakers, so just two. Possibly with a subwoofer for adding bass.

You could input a stereo signal into a surround sound system and then upmix it so that different parts of the audio gets picked out and sent round to all of the speakers, and people do this. I don't like it. And in a small bedroom just plain stereo should be good enough.

The Yamaha YHT 450 is a package that includes the amp and the speakers, have you just been gifted the speakers?

What will you be using as a source for the music you want to listen to, and what is your budget?

Hello,

I've recently been gifted a Yamaha YHT-450 6.1 surround sound system. This is my first time setting up such a system and I need some guidance on which kind of receiver to buy. I don't plan on using this with a TV or gaming console, but strictly as a music playing device in a small bedroom. I've done some quick googling and found some 6.1 receivers on amazon but they're pretty expensive and I think I read somewhere that to utilize the system for only audio functions, I only need to purchase a stereo receiver.

However, I'm having trouble finding a 6.1 channel stereo receiver. The 6 speakers have the normal L/R wiring hook up (sorry I don't know what they're called) and the 1 subwoofer I THINK is just an RCA input.

Again, I'm a complete novice so sorry if this is such a monumentally elementary question. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.

When you say "system", I assume you mean this is an out of box system that includes an amp (receiver) and DVD player?

In which case, you already have all you need to operate it, although as above using it for music is not going to sound great in 6.1. Surround sound is primarily designed for watching films, for music use stereo as mixed for and intended.

A separate amp/receiver is only needed if you have just the speakers on their own. Almost any current receiver can be easily configured to output 6.1.

takuters

Novice Member
Hello!

Stereo is 2 channels of audio, left and right, played back through 2 speakers.

6.1 is a multi channel surround sound.

In my view, stereo music is best listened to on stereo speakers, so just two. Possibly with a subwoofer for adding bass.

You could input a stereo signal into a surround sound system and then upmix it so that different parts of the audio gets picked out and sent round to all of the speakers, and people do this. I don't like it. And in a small bedroom just plain stereo should be good enough.

The Yamaha YHT 450 is a package that includes the amp and the speakers, have you just been gifted the speakers?

What will you be using as a source for the music you want to listen to, and what is your budget?

Correct - I only have the speakers. They used the previous amp for a new set of speakers they purchased so I only got the speakers.

So is it even possible to use a "surround sound system" as just a music listening set of speakers? Or should I consider just trying to get rid of them and purchasing dedicated stereo speakers (just 2)?

I plan on connecting a record player and maybe my phone to the amp via RCA or just a standard 3.5mm jack.

Thank you for the help!

takuters

Novice Member
When you say "system", I assume you mean this is an out of box system that includes an amp (receiver) and DVD player?

In which case, you already have all you need to operate it, although as above using it for music is not going to sound great in 6.1. Surround sound is primarily designed for watching films, for music use stereo as mixed for and intended.

A separate amp/receiver is only needed if you have just the speakers on their own. Almost any current receiver can be easily configured to output 6.1.

Hey - so unfortunately I don't have a receiver/amp. I was just curious to see if I can use this surround sound system for just audio purposes.

takuters

Novice Member

Oops! I forgot to mention my budget is like $2-300 ideally...

D

Deleted member 39241

For your use and budget, I would suggest a new pair of active speakers would be your best option. These have the amplifiers built into the speakers, and have a few inputs for different devices and often a remote control.

Hey - so unfortunately I don't have a receiver/amp. I was just curious to see if I can use this surround sound system for just audio purposes.

OK, so the use of the word "system" is misleading then, what you actually have is a set of six speakers. For music, maybe use just 2 of them as a stereo pair and buy a stereo amp. Upgrade the speakers when you can afford to, they are not going to sound that great to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom