1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP .....purchase of HD Ready plasma ....HELP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by stuarty boy, May 14, 2005.

1. stuarty boy

stuarty boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, need help posted couple of threads re Plasma/HD. new to this so need help. i have insurance claim which has been agreed. Only thing is I have to buy my TV from currys or Dixons.

Was blown away with HD so i want to buy a HD ready TV. Could I ask a wee bit of help from anyone. Is it possible that someone could help me select an HD ready plasma from either retailer.. the web info on the different types of TV are not clear to me.

Dixons http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...d=-21614&fm=5&sm=0&tm=undefined&show_all=true

Currys http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...BV_EngineID=ccchaddeilelljjcflgceggdhhmdfhn.0

I really would appreciate some assistance...Im sitting looking at a 14" ASDA special from my kids bedroom and have been for last 2 weeks.. need bigger TV

happy to spend around 2200 no more than this if poss

ps how does this look http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...sku=206524&category_oid=-20090&fm=3&sm=0&tm=0

Apparently there is a new 42" samsung coming out next week that currys will be listing anyone know anything about it ??

Pant pant sorry for the lengthy requirements

Cheers stuart

2. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I'm not an expert though you've had no replies so far so why do you want plasma ? LCD's are now up to the size of plasma's or there abouts. LCD's I think have advantages over plasma one is longer life I believe ? I'm not sure what other benifits so over to anyone else for this answer!

If you can wait prices will fall anyway...

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Unfortunately I think the only 42" plasma TV available from Currys at the moment, within your budget, which is technically HD Ready, is the Philips 42PF9966.

There's a lot of controversy over the panel that they use (an ALIS panel) - a search on the plasma TV forum will bring up plenty of info on what ALIS is as well as opinions on both sides!
    Even so, if your only alternative is an 854x480 EDTV model, then it may certainly be worth a look, and you would have to go and have a look - you can't buy a flat panel TV based just on a spec sheet - the video processing plays a huge part in how the picture will look!
    Some look very poor IMO, especially with normal TV sources - the same set may look pretty good though with progressive DVD, so make sure you get at least part of your demo from Sky/freeview/analogue TV!
    Don't just dismiss EDTV models out of hand though, despite them not having HD Ready status (due to their 854x480 panels) - you want the best picture your money will get you, for the majority of what you watch (personally I feel it's no good if it's great on DVD, but poor on TV/Sky etc, if the majority of your viewing is TV/Sky!).
    If the best picture happens to be from an ED panel, then I wouldn't get too hung up on the panel resolution myself - though others may disagree with this viewpoint, with HD on the horizon!

The Pioneer 435 is quite highly rated by many, and is HD ready, but this is another £650 on top of your budget!
    Ther are several other options too, but they don't seem to be available from Currys/Dixons!
    Can't help with this new Samsung model though!

4. stuarty boy

stuarty boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys, some interesting comments regarding LCD v Plasma and the Alis panel for the Phillips.

To be honest the harder I look and ask questions the more confused I am, I really appreciate all coments, don't mean to sound ungrateful.

This Forum is invaluable to me, and undoudtedly will stop me buying a "pig in a poke".

As far as the Pioneer system goes I was mighty impressed with this machine but it was £3K. Would prefer larger screen RecordablDVDfan, thats why I want the plasma.

Might go for the Pioneer, the guys in Currys says it was the business, they seem very knowledgable, and I got the impression that they didnt just want to fk me out of £3K, cos they knew i have a budget. But i might capitulate and go for the Pioneer.

What do you guys think of this model.

Again your comments will be appreciated

Stuart

5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldny believe a word that comes out of those numbnuts rectums. The pioneer can be found a lot more reasonable using www.kelkoo.co.uk

If i were you id seriously consider the small sexy samsung sp50 dlp rear pro which is better looking than a plasma and hd ready.

6. stuarty boy

stuarty boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    stuart sit on your hands for a week or two longer, the panny 42" and 37" PV500 are due end of the month, Proper HD screens no nonsense and with a huge pedigree......If it doesnt knock 7 bells out of the Philips and any DLP under £2.5k I'll eat my hat..........

8. stuarty boy

stuarty boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U think Dixons Currys will be listing these soon. happy to wait if you think they will be..

Any idea of the cost...would prefer to stick to around £2200 if poss

Stuart