• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! PS3 Won't play discs

Robbo456

Standard Member
Hello!

I'm not sure why, but my PS3 now won't play DVD or BD? Also it won't play wipeoutHD demo which I downloaded, very odd.

It recognises there is a disc, and even what type in the menu, but you click it, screen goes blank and nothing happens. I can eject it manually, but not by remote, I can't reset the system and have to turn it off at the back to restart! :mad:

Is this common problem? Is an orginal 60gb btw.

dodfaefife

Ouch! When you say "reset the system" do you mean a system restore (from settings menu) to scrub the PS3 back to factory settings. If not this might be worth a go.

I seem to remember some people having this problem last year when one of the software updates came out. Have you ran the latest update?

Found a some people with the same prob via google: Some claiming the blue ray drive/diode if fried and sent back to sony for repair. Someone suggested this if it's a corrupt file problem:

"connect your control direct to your ps3. and then you hold the power button for 5 seconds!! the system will turn on!!!remove your finger for a second and hold the power button till you hear 2beeps then remove your finger and the system will shut off!! this is a manuel reset!!! the system will turn back on!! asking u to connect your controller!! you already have it connected. then it will give you about 6 options!! you will choose RESTORE FILES!!! your system will check for your system defaults!! then it will tell you that you have corrupted files!! and proceed with it!!! it will fix if you have problems with your controls,if it doesnt play games,blue ray,if it freeze, system shutting off,icon problems,only playing sertting games or movies!"

Last edited:

sykotik

Distinguished Member
sounds like your blu-ray/dvd drive is knackered...
not sure why wipeout wont play

give sony a ring ..tell them the problem .
and there probably replace it free of charge...

andrew

Robbo456

Standard Member
Given them a call, sending me a replacement on the 12th.

Thanks for the help!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom