1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Ps2 Not Reading Discs

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by himpressive, May 19, 2005.

1. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My son's PS2 (silver, out of warranty by 4 months :mad: ) is no longer reading any discs (games, dvd, cd). Sometimes, it manages to read the intro and hangs (for want of a better word), and other times it comes up with the message:"unable to read disc". I've tried using a cd cleaner to no avail. Can someone pls advise on what I might do to rectify the fault?
    Thanks.

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    If it is only 4 months out of warranty, I'd give sony a call and see if they'll replace it out of good faith.

I have done this in the past with a PS1, it is worth giving them a call.

Other than that I think they replace them with a refurbished one for about a £60-70 charge (not really worth it now, as you can pic up a scond hand one up for that)

Or you could say that it is under a year old and take a chance, it's 50-50 really thats what I'd do :devil:

tris

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thats quite surprising it normally takes about 18 months for a PS2 to go belly up. Yours is two months shy of that.

i know loads of people who's PS2's packed up after that amount of time.

Gary

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am surprised you got 16 months out of it. The PS2 (As the PS1) is legendary for its poor laser assembly. I know plenty of people whose drives went within 12 months. I dont know many people who got 2 years out of a PS2, especially the early ones.

Its a clever marketing ploy really as has been mentioned before. They may have sold 80 million of them worldwide but its really only 40 million as most people seem to have at least 2 :rolleyes:

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    You really do not like Sony do you? :rotfl:

Do you seriously think a company would 'time bomb' a product?

I have had a couple of mates whom didn't make the 2 years. Mine will be 4 in september, so fingers crossed. One of my mates PS2's was only 14 months old, they replaced with a refurbished one for the cost of collection/delivery. I think it was about £15. It's worth giving them a call.

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well its true isnt it ? I am only saying what is well know fact anyway. You could try selling the dead one on Ebay for parts if they wont swap out. I would be very surprised if they did.

7. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I think there is evidence to say that 'some' of the lasers should last far longer than they do. However, considering the number of units they sold worldwide, the failure rate does not make me think it's a conspiracy, and certailnly not FACT!! The issue is, we will always hear from those that have had failed lasers, but we do not get all the trouble free people standing up telling us their situation. I know about 25 PS2 users, and 2 have failed. Which 2 were they? The 2 that play 24/7 7days a week (I keep telling them to get jobs, but thet're just lazy :censored: ).

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    YES!! without doubt, but think they would do it on hours played rather than a time and date. a mate of mine has got one of the launch ones that stilll works - but as he said he hasn't turned it on for nearly two years as hes been on his xbox.

Gary

9. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I had this problem with mine a couple of times when I had it vertical. I moved it to the horizontal position and its been fine ever since, worth a try. Oh and Ive had mine for about 6 years now and its still going strong.

10. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My boy is on his third . . . fact!

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,900
    Mine is still going strong and I have had it since launch day, true it isnt a UK model its French but I dont think that would make a difference, would it?

12. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I called sony "customer service" or was it the "repair" centre, and they offered to do a swop for £55 (my old one for a "remanufactured" one), as it is not viable for them to repair it, as it was out of contract!:(!
    Maybe I should have got my son an Xbox.....

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Considering its out of Warranty I suppose a recon for £55 delivered aint bad but what sort of warranty do they give you with that ?

£98 delivered new from Amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...756835/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_0/202-2461708-6903029

Its definately worth selling the faulty one on ebay. Without controllers they seem to go for around £20 :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11328&item=8193568887&rd=1

So the replacement is only going to cost you £35 the cost of a new game so it could be worse. I have to say its fair to expect a console to last for more than 16 months. I have had my Xbox since launch 4 years with heavy use and its still fine (Touch wood) I also have a Dreamcast which I got at launch which is much older and it still works perfectly.

Like I said though its all extra sales to them. Even the new Slim PS2 still have problems with their drives anmd laser assemblies :rolleyes: You would have thought they could fix the problem after 5 or 6 years and 80 million units sold if they wanted.

14. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Problem is I wont have the faulty one to sell- they expect me to return it to the couriers as they deliver the exchange unit! :mad:

15. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    My PS2 is just starting to have problems reading discs after about four years. :rolleyes: It seems that the only way to make sure it works right is to never change the game! If I get so much as a speck of dust on the Pro Evo 4 game disc, then it has problems. That said, I haven't noticed problems with any other discs, yet...

My Xbox has always been quite picky with certain games. Of my original batch of games, Halo and DOA3 worked fine, whereas Project Gotham Racing would sometimes take a very long time to load stages and/or would begin the stage with no music. Yes, I should have had the machine replaced. But I'd already made a lot of progress with the other games and didn't want to lose my game-saves that were on the hard drive!
    Since then, some games have had such bad disc-read problems that I've been left with no choice but to reset the machine! Other games have run perfectly...

TBH, despite the Xbox having the potential to be the best game system I've ever owned, all these disc problems combined with a dodgy s-pad and video-lead and - according to a letter I received from Microsoft - a power lead that is a potential fire risk (good job I never left it plugged in over night!) have conspired to make me wonder if it's worth the hassle any more.

I'm just glad I was able to experience Halo without any problems as it was probably worth buying the system for that one game alone. :D

16. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Enough dodgy selling on ebay as it is without suggesting others do this to, maybe Im just too honest!

Im looking at selling my PS2 as I never really use it now, two controllers, memory card, few games including time crisis 2 + 3 and lightgun, happy for you to see it running if you local (essex).

Ive also still got my original super nintendo, must be about 15 years old, maybe a few more, still gets used my young neices and nephews and still going strong!! Super mario, mario kart, street fighter, plus others, show there age but still great games.

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I was obviously saying sell it as faulty for spares or repair :rolleyes:

If you are wanting to sell this I suggest listing it in the Classifieds section.

18. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Sorry, never thought of that :oops:

19. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    I've had my PS2 since release date and it still runs any game I put in it, only time it gets iffy is when its vertical or have thumping bass from the speakers next to it :)

20. zoomflick

zoomflick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your handy with a screwdriver , Disc read errors can be a simple repair. I fixed mine last year with the help of a step by step procedure I got off the web. I wish I could find the website I used. It had pictures and was quite easy to follow along. Basicly, there ia a white gear in the console that skips a tooth and the lazer goes out of alignment. You just have to turn it one click clockwise or counter clockwise. Here is one link I came accross that might help. http://faqs.ign.com/articles/390/390535p1.html

21. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I got one of the slammer half price ps2's but had to get the cashback of the credit card company. Anyway I modified it with a messiah modchip and its still running to this day. Plays every commercial game but is selective of dvd-rs. I don't use it for playing dvds though and its probably never had to do a layer change in its life.

However the Playstation 2 and many sony dvd players are famous for poor reading of dvds. Sony own film and television companies and are heaviliy anti-piracy for obvious reasons so they make their dvd players less copied media friendly or used to. However the return rate is so high they have given in I think with later models of either and are generally pretty good. Certainly my ps2 does not work with a wide range of dvd-rs where as other products like dvd players of a simlar vintage do without problems.