1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - PS2 Knackered!!! Blockbusters!!!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by WBC, Nov 11, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have a friend at work who purchased a PS2 for her son on the 29th November last year.

For some reason the PS is now knackered in that, although you can hear the game it doesn't display on the screen.

Although she can't find her reciept she has found proof of purchase on a bank statement but Blockbusters have said 'Tuff, nothing they will do'.......surely as its still within the year she is entitled to a replacement?????

If not does anyone know a fix, I take PC & Servers apart for a living so I feel fairly confident I may able to fix if its easy!!!!

Please help.

Thanks
    Stacy

2. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can hear the game but can't see it? Might be the cabling rather than the PS2. I'd try a blaze scart lead and see if it does anything.

I had exactly the same symptoms on my XBox the other day and just assumed the drive was going. In the end it turned out I had my console set to NTSC mode, and that particular game didn't like it. I doubt that's your problem, but I'm just illustrating that it's probably not a nackered console.*

* If it is though, I'm pretty sure you can contact Sony for a repair or replacement.

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Proof of purchase doesn't have to be a till recipt. A bank statement should be perfectly acceptable as proof of purchase but most retailers will swear blind that it's not.

It does sound like a relatively simple issue with the video lead or socket in the back of the PS2. Do you have another lead to test it?

But really this is Blockbuster's responsibility. Note that they're under no obligation to replace or refund the unit. They can, at their discrection, repair it as long as it's returned to you in a "reasonable amount of time". Unfortunately the law doesn't define a reasonable amount of time so you might have to be patient. Of course, it's cheaper for them to just replace it, but don't expect reasonable behaviour from a big retailer like Blockbuster.

Take a look at this trading standards page:
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0050-1011.txt

about half way down it states clearly that recipts aren't the only legally acceptable proof of purchase. It might be worth printing the whole page and taking to Blockbuster and showing it to the manager. I'm sure the manager will already know the law, but he/she will be hoping that you don't.

Good luck :)

4. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    i used to work at Blockies and they HATE giving refunds (it mucks up their sales targets etc) despite the customer friendly policies they have up on the door. Staff also get shouted at by their managers for doing it, especially games-related stuff.

If you've got a debit on your bank statement for it you must have paid by switch/solo, hence Blockies will have a record of the transaction: even better, if they asked you for a membership card with your purchase, the transcation will be recorded in your membership history (don't let them give you "it only stores 3 months of history" rubbish -- they can get the file from head office). At worst, they may only have the credit card report: these are stored in the office of the store and they probably don't want to have to hunt through them (they're very poorly printed stacks of paper as thick as the yellow pages).

You are covered by your statutory 12 month guarantee: if you get no joy from them, try phoning Blockies customer service: they can sort out your query with no input at all from the store, and they will normally "admonish" the store in question as well.

regards,
    anephric