1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help:- Projector reccomendations for small throw size for large picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by just wondering, Jul 25, 2005.

1. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi , Can anyone reccomend a good dlp or lcd projector that will give me a large picture around 12-14 foot wide from a short throw distance of say 2.5 meters , i guess i'm asking a lot , my budget would be £1600 max

I was reading a review in this months What projector that states the Themescene h30a will produce a picture of 300inchs from a 3meter throw distance , but based on information on various web sites this does not appear to be the case , did the magazine get the information wrong ??? as this type of throw distance for size of picture would more than suit my needs......

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think the AE700 seems to be particularly good in this dept. But how close do you plan to sit to the screen?. 12-14ft wide you need to be at least 20ft back...PJ :)

3. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On my AE700 from about a 14 foot back I can project a 9 foot 6 inch image, although it is not really recommended as you loose a lot of contrast.

4. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi , thank you for your speeeeeeeeeedy reply , in fact i've just measured up its 3meters....i'd be around 3 meters back =)

i will take a look at the pany 700 , i've just read a review in what projector and it does sound good value....

any ideas on a place to buy a well priced projector screen for around 12-14 foot ?

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Holy cow. A commercial screen of that size could easily cost you more then the projector.

Have you thought of making your own.

6. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    making my own , might get a little bit to complex for me , too much sticky back plastic and all that......i have a 8foot wide screen already , but based on throw sizes i might be sticking with that screen size at present..... i'm based up in west yaaaarkshire , Leeds , can anyone reccomend a good place to view the New panasonic PT-AE700, the Themescene H30a and the sanyo z3 ? idealy at the same place....

7. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When you say you loose alot of contrast , is that because it should be furthur away or closer , please could you tell me a little bit more.

8. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just seen the panasonic ae700 at roy jowetts for 999 ??? thats 700 pounds of the rrp....roy jowetts also seem to have the 3 projectors i would most like to see running , the sony hs50 the pany ae700 and the themescene h30a , and his prices are very good indeedie , looks like he'll be getting some of my hard earned..

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The screen you are planning is too big if you are only sitting 3m back. You should be aiming for around a 2m wide screen. I think you may be falling into the "bigger must be better" trap.

To ensure the picture you see is not riddled with artefacts (pic noise / screen door etc) you need to sit at least 1.5 times the screen width away. Also the bigger the pic the less vivid it will look (the bulb's light is spread over a larger area) = less contrast, less brightness etc.

...PJ :)

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I agree - with PJTX100. You are looking for a screen that is far too big, given your viewing distance.

Not only will you lose contrast but you will get quite a bit of Screen Door effect (i.e. you will see the individual pixels divided up like a sheet of chicken wire has been placed over the screen). I sit around 3M back and have a screen 2.14m x 1.20m. That's pretty much as big as you can go really (for that viewing distance) and I couldn't imagine wanting a bigger screen than that - you wouldn't be able to take in the full picture and would have to keep moving your head to see what's happening at each side of the screen.

I've built 2 screens now using a home made wooden frame and blackout material and find it to be the best option unless you plan on spending £500+ for a screen. They are quite easy to make and this last one cost me less than £15! (Blackout fabric £2.50 p/m - I got 2 1/2 metres and wood was about £7 for the lot and I had 3 of the 8 bits left over).

11. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could you tell us where 'Roy Jowets' is.
    I tend to agree with everyone else as far as screen size goes. It may be worth finding the best place to buy a screen from, but holding off untill you get the PJ and doing a quick test against a wall.
    The reason you will loose contrast if you go too large is that the lamp in the PJ is having to produce a bigger picture, so therefore the smaller the picture the more contrasty (is that a word??) and bright the image will be.

12. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/

they seem very well priced and seem to have the best of the bunch , i'm based in leeds and today viewed the infocus 4805 and the 5700 at sevenoaks just outsidet the city center and i must say i was mightly impressed , sevenoaks viewing rooms are fantastic , i'd like to move in please.... :thumbsup:

I also viewed the sony VPL-HS50 at the leeds sony center , i must say i was not very impressed , But i can say the setup was in the shop towards the back and it was a fairly light area , plus the test dvd was disc 2 of the disney film monsters inc which is just a documentary making of , so not ideal circumstances , but one bonus was that the salesman left me to play around with the projector for around 15 mins By myself...

Nice size picture for its very short distance to the screen , but i really need to see the sony under better circumstances .

My short list for projectors are currently :- the infocus 4805 , 5700 , themescene hs30a , Panasonic 700 and the sony VPL-HS50.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Why not the Sanyo Z3? - available now for around £850 with free bulb. It has a short throw, wide angle lens so would be ideal for your needs. I've just upgraded to one from my Epson TW-10h and it should arrive tomorrow. :clap:

14. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also live in Leeds and viewed the Infocus range at Sevenoaks, and found the staff to be arrogant and very technically incompotent (and thats an understatement). I asked them if they have the AE700 for viewing and was told (and I quote) 'they're sh*t'. I asked him if he'd seen one (as they had only been out 2 days) and he replied 'no'. I haven't seen they Sony PJ on display at the Sony centre, but it seems like a lot of retailers they do not understand the importance of demo rooms. Thanx for the link - think I will go at the weekend to check it out.

15. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm would like to see a z3 running , but based on a review i read in What projector , it did not sound quite like it cut the mustard , but that was based on the old price , i really need to view one to be sure.....

The sales man i spoke with at Sevenoaks was called Bruce , a really good sales man , i would of felt happy parting with my cash based on his sales pitch....but unfortunatly sevenoaks did not have the full range of projectors for me to view , a trip to Roy Jowetts might do the trick though .

Hey Deano do you fancy co-piloting down to Roy Jowetts , i'm good at the driving part , but not so hot on finding places ?!?!?!?

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    The reviews that i've read are very favourable to the Z3 and that was at £1400! See here -

Home Cinema Choice

Projector Central

17. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd chip in and say that Roy Jowett is our parent retailer. Our 'base camp' where our dem facilities are. Everyone is welcome almost anytime and we have around 8 PJ's side by side.

You may also get a tea/coffee made by me, which is more than my collegues ever get!

18. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds realllly gooooood, i will be making a call and booking a demo soon.