1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - progressive scan!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LotusElan, Nov 2, 2003.

1. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I've currently got a NEC VT45 projector, driven by a Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player. Also in the room (opposite end!) is a Panasonic DMR-HS2 for the TV/freeview box.

I'm starting to think about driving the projector using a progressive scan source, and have realised I know next to nothing about PS!

One option, which unfortunately involves buying a load more cables and running them round the room, is plugging the HS2 into the projector. The other option, which works out only just a bit more expensive compared to buying decent cables, is to replace the DVP-NS300 with a Sony DVP-NS730, which is PAL/NTSC PS and has component outputs.

How do I (generically) connect a DVD player to my projector to ensure I'm benefitting from progressive scan? Do I need to use component outputs (which the HS2 doesn't have, only composite and two SCARTs), or is the signal "carried" on the SCART output (i.e. via RGB or whatever)?

The VT45 has an SVGA 15-pin DIN connector, which is how I'm currently driving it from the RGB SCART on the DVP-NS300.

And my final ignorant question is - do projectors and DVD players (if labelled as PS) output as PS "naturally" - i.e. can I just plug things in and go, or do I have to rummage around in the setup menus to tell them what to do? I only ask as I can't find anything explicitly referenced in the VT45 manual.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK only component outputs are capable of delivering a prog scan signal.
    Does the HS2 have prog scan output? I had a quick look at Panasonics web site and couldn't see mention of progressive scan output with regards to the HS2!

Projector central says the VT45 will take a 480p & 720p signal. I would guess that this will be through the 15 pin connector, so you may need a custom lead for connection.

Rummaging around in the DVD players menu is usually the order of the day. DVD players won't be set to output prog scan by default as many display devices won't be able to recognise this signal.

Good luck

3. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Thanks for your reply!

I wasn't sure if the HS2 had progressive scan or not, but I did a Google search for "HS2 progressive", and it came up with quite a few hits for that - admittedly a lot from places to buy from over the web, so not necessarily reliable! If it's true that you can only get PS using the component outputs, then I guess it probably hasn't got PS, as there ain't no component outputs on the back of mine!

Ah - so does the "p" in "480p" stand for progressive then? (Excuse ignorance!!)

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep ;)

5. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sony 730 connected to a Pana ae100 and the results are superb both ntsc and pal.

I have a 15m component cable from player to projector.

You can select progressive from the front panel of this player - u dont have to root around in menus.

Dave, OLDHAM UK.

6. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Cheers Dave!

How is yours connected up? I'm going to have to connect via the projector's 15-pin SVGA socket, so if you've any ideas where to get a lead for this, I'd appreciate it - thinking of Keene or Lektropacks at the moment.