1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! probs with Audi from main dealer

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by chalkdust, Aug 10, 2005.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Help!! probs with Audi from main dealer
    Hi, I have just purchased a Used Audi A2 from an Audi main dealer. The dealer provided a HPI certificate, the certificate had the car down as a 3 door (it is in fact a five door) , loss of confidence number 1. Looking at previous service sheets they had the mileage down as 15,000 more than was on the clock, lloss of confidence number 2. After looking further at the service sheets the car had indeed been in an accident and not repaired by an Audi dealer, dealer said he wasn't aware the car had been in an accident??? loss of confidence number 3. The car has now been sent back due to a cracked anti-roll bar, again down on one of the service sheets but never repaired, total loss of confidence. How do I stand in retreiving my money back? Paid for the car 5 days ago. Any input much appreciated.

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Was the car 'as advertised'

If not then you certainly have a claim against them. Eg. if they sold the car claiming that none of the above faults were present - ie lower mileage, no accidents etc. you were certainly missold the car - an extra 15000 miles on the car would certainly detract from its value, as would recorded accident damage.

If, however, the car was sold without any claims made for it i.e. 'as seen' I'm pretty sure it is up to the buyer to check things.

I would speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau as to where you stand legally.

CL

3. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a lawyer involved quickly, and reject the car.

They don't have a leg to stand on if it's been clocked.

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ''...The Sale of Goods Act applies to second-hand goods. When considering whether goods are of satisfactory quality one must take into account the lower expectations of second hand goods. For example, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a ten-year-old, high mileage car to be completely free from fault, or to perform in the same way as a brand new vehicle, or to last as long. Second hand goods will have part-worn parts which will not be as durable as a new model...''

Definitely ask for money back, goods not sold as described.

''...If you buy from any dealer you have protection under the criminal law:

All descriptions including the mileage should be correct
    The vehicle should be roadworthy
    And under the civil law:

The car should be as described
    It should be of satisfactory quality (generally fit for its normal purposes)
    Reasonably fit for any particular purpose you tell the dealer (suitable to tow a caravan, perhaps)...''

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011.txt

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ED7D1215-76A4-4BA6-BCD7-E9379CEF173E/0/oft196.pdf

5. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for replies, am going to meet with them and hopefully reach an amicable resolution.

6. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Assuming that it was an "approved used car" they dont have a leg to stand on:

An Approved Used Audi car from an Audi Centre means that you can rely on acquiring a car with full provenance and no secrets. You will receive a certificate to confirm that the following checks have been carried out on the vehicle and verified.

The vehicle's engine and chassis no.
    The date of first registration
    The car has not been used for security against a finance agreement
    The vehicle is not stolen
    The vehicle does not have a Condition (write off) record
    The vehicle has not had a plate change to hide something.

AND

Vehicle Mileage Check Limited is an independent company that checks all Approved Used Audi Vehicles to verify that the mileage specified is accurate. Each Audi Centre will commission VMC to provide a full keeper history search for every Approved Used Audi car and authenticate the mileage claimed.

VMC will obtain this information from a variety of sources including writing to previous owners and the DVLA in Swansea.

7. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    A few years ago i bought a Vauxhall Senator which developed problems a few weeks after i had it, several of which weren't covered by the warranty the dealer gave me on it, and a one of which was going to be quite a pricey fix.

However i spotted a scribble in the back of the service book that it had had a new speedo fitted at 26,000 miles and thus had done 26,000 more than i thought. I mentioned this to the dealer, he went very quiet and EVERYTHING was fixed for me!!

Basically, what i'm saying is make a big noise about the mileage issue, preferably across the showroom at the top of your voice when it's crowded on a Saturday afternoon!! :smashin:

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    All VMC-ldt will do is write to previous owners and ask them what the recorded mileage was at disposal. I happen to have first hand knowlege of a vehicle that had recorded over 123k miles before it's first MOT. The speedo was given a haircut before being presented for test and was then sold through the local rag. It was then traded in to a dealer and the enquiring letters then started dropping on the mat asking about the history.Obviously it's true history was never divulged but that car then went on the forecourt as a 'genuine motor'. Point i'm making is at some point in the chain all it takes it one little lie and it all goes belly up for the end purchaser.

9. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    You could try taking it up with VAG UK on 0800 711811 - they have a special section for dealer complaints, and they are extremely efficient at getting dealers to sort out problems that they previously tried to dodge.

We recently reported a problem with my wife's Polo just a few weeks before the warranty expired. The dealer had trouble getting spares, and these were fitted a couple of days after the warranty had run out. However the problem was not resolved, and the dealer tried to wriggle out of fixing the fault because the warranty was out. Yet the VW warranty states that they will fix any fault reported in warranty. Reported being the operative word. After several weeks of hassle with the dealer trying to get them to take ownership of the problem, a quick call to VAG UK and lo and behold - a grovelling dealer on the phone kissing my ass!!!