Help-problems with setting up new PS3

garreth64

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a new PS3 and trying to get it set up. Initially connected up to screen via HDMI and got the setup menu. After selecting 'english' it came up with a message saying 'HDMI connected detected', I accepted this and then it just seemed to hang and would not recognise any buttons. I left it a few minutes then turned it off.
Now when I try again I get no video output to the screen at all. I have tried it using the HDMI connection, and also with the suppied composite cable and nothing is being output to the screen.
Is there a way to reset the PS3 and start again? I have tried turning it on and waiting 5 seconds for a bleep, but it just seems to turn itself off again.
Have I got a faulty unit, or is there anything else i can try?

Thanks, but I have already tried this.

I have tried turning it on and waiting 5 seconds for a bleep, but it just seems to turn itself off again.

After 5-6 seconds it beeps then turns itself off. When i turn it on again, still no video signal being output. :thumbsdow

Im going to try it on another TV, but if I cant get it working its back to the shop, and I know they havent got any more :mad:

Also, after about 10-20 seconds it seems to go into standby, and the red power light flashes.

and if I plug in a controller into a usb port and press PS button, all 4 lights flash.......

Also, after about 10-20 seconds it seems to go into standby, and the red power light flashes.

and if I plug in a controller into a usb port and press PS button, all 4 lights flash.......

do they flash continuously?

have you tried connecting it using a different connection other than hdmi?

do they flash continuously?

have you tried connecting it using a different connection other than hdmi?

Yep, just flash continuously. Tried it in USB port 1 and 2.

Yes, have tried composite (supplied) cable, with and without the Scart adapter.

What seems strange is that the holding down the on button for 5-10 secs doesnt seem to work. It just beeps once and turns off, where ive read on tinternet that is should beep several times which means it has reset......

This may sound silly but are you sure you're actually changing the TV to the composite AV channel when using the composite cable ? Anyway it sounds to me like you may have a faulty unit.

The unit is faulty. Took it back to Woolworths and they couldnt get it to work either. Told me to ring Sony...called today and replacement is arriving tomorrow....cant do better than that...hope it works :)

I've had a similar problem with my 3 week old unit since downloading the latest 1.92 update. Or it could have been pure coincidence.....everything locked up and although I could turn off and then get it working again, it would lock up again after about 20 minutes.
Contacted SONY and they are sending out a replacement today to swap with the "old" one.
First class service from them, I just hope the new one works OK.
Rob

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom