1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - Problems with Hitachi PD6600 Full Details inside!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ol'dirty, Sep 10, 2005.

1. ol'dirty

ol'dirty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One and a half weeks into ownership and I've run into a problem with the Hitachi PD6600 - when turning the set on it will be fine for around a minute and then the screen will cut out. The sound will stay on but none of the on-screen menu's will come up. Dead.....

When turning off for around 5mins and then turning back on the screen will be fine for around a minute and then cut off again. I thought it was too good to be true.

I called MasterCare and they've booked an engineer for monday.

I could understand if this was the first time I'd had a problem with a tv - it's not. It's the THIRD. Both TV sets previously (Sanyo, Toshiba) both went after 2 years with the exact same problem and now the Hitachi, which lasted one and half weeks. The set hasn't even been on that much as I was being extra careful.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is? Or has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a soloution? Is it something simple like an option on the menu has been turned on?

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    maybe just conincidence or could power surges in your electricity supply cause this???

3. ol'dirty

ol'dirty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not too sure to be honest - what I can't understand is how the picture will be fine for around a minute and then will cut off. It's just so annoying because the engineer probably won't be able to come out until tuesday and then might have to take it to the workshop - could be looking at around 2 weeks before any sort of problem is rectified.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you use a surge protector...a decent one for AV kit is always a good idea

5. windie

windie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Same comment as Lionheart, been a sparky for longer than I care to admit too and wouldn't dream of connecting any equipment to the mains without at least a basic surge protector. Let's face it they can be had for less than a tenner these days.

Might be worth getting one before they actually come to fix/replace your screen.

6. ol'dirty

ol'dirty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are those the Belkin things? If so, I'll definatly pick one up - but that explain the problem behind the TV's. The DVD player, Sky box and VHS all go to the same plug area as the TV and work fine.

Also the set is ok for about a minute - if it was a power surge would it not take the whole lot out?

Despite this I'll definatly pick one up. Thanks guys, but any suggestions to the above problems?