Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help - problem with A90 power on switch

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dm57, Apr 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dm57

dm57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

just two weeks ago got my new A90 7.1 plus P85/3 and with already existing DV89 and a set of speakers (4 x Mission 753 for front and rear and Infinity Beta C360 as central) connected everything into the multichannel setup. For two weeks it was working fine - 2 channels CDs, DVD-Audio, DTS,...

All this time DV89 and A90 were on the standby mode (red light on). Then yesterday morning I saw there is no red light on A90. I tried to switch it on manually, but it did not work. I unplugged the power cable and plugged it into another outlet and it started again. I thought my power extension went off. I was listening the music for about 1-1.5 hour and left A90 again on the standby mode. Later in the day I again saw my red light was off, but two other green (CD and DVD) went on. I repeated the main cable unplug and it was working again. Later in the evening it was going off more and more often. Every time I unplugged the main cable it was working - I was able to switch it on and off manually or using the remote, but only at the beginning; by the time it was dying.

It looks to me like the problem with power on switch. I repeat, it was on the standby mode for over two weeks without a problem. I did not notice any power down effect and I also tried to change all the possible outlets. During all that time DV89 was also in standby mode and it does not have any problem whatsoever.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance !

2. dm57

dm57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming I have a problem with the power supply network what is it that cause the problems. Is it because of spikes (I guess I can then use a filter to remove them) or is it to low voltage (what is the lowest voltage the system can still work if the nominal one is 220 V)?

3. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dm57,

I've had exactly the same kind of glitch with my A90 and now my A32. In a PM, Andrew Dutton gave me the possible explanation for this :

"...There must be something in your house or mains power supply that is causing the micro controller in the A32/A90 to crash. Things that can cause this are fridges or freezers which cause big spikes in the mains when they turn on and sometimes even central heating systems can cause this.

You may find if you put a anti surge filter on this solves the problem. ...
    Regards,
    Andrew"

I did exactly what Andrew suggested and bought a mains filter. Now there are two important things you should know :

1) Make sure your electrical installation is properly grounded;
    2) Put ALL the devices connected to your amp on a surge filter.

There are three reputed brands that I know in that field : APC ('SurgeArrest'), MGE ('Pulsar)' and Belkin ('Surgemaster' and 'Pure AV Isolator').

Considering the number of elements that are connected to my amp, I had to buy two mains filters. I bought an APC SurgeArrest two months ago which did not fix my problem because the devices protected against mains spikes were contaminated by the ones that were not protected (processor, sub, VCR, TV, etc.). And this week-end I've just bought a Belkin Pure A/V Isolator. The latter was recommended somewhere in the cable section of this forum, but under its UK version (Belkin Pure A/V Isolator ref. F9G823uk3M). I finally found one with belgian/french sockets this week-end (Belkin Pure A/V Isolator ref. F9G823fr3M) and now, I cross my fingers, but I believe I have finally fixed it once for all.

Another thing to mention as well is that I also put my TV coax cable through the mains filter. Most Belkin's and MGE's filters come with that coax/digital cable filtering.

And don't forget : you need to put absolutely ALL the gears connected to your amp on the mains filters.

Hope I could help you out. And BTW, thanks once again to you Andrew (if you ever read this).

David

4. dm57

dm57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks David !

If I understand well, you are in Belgium. Well, I am in Croatia and I did not find any Belkin Pure A/V Isolator here. Hopefully, my brother lives in Belgium and can help if you tell me where did you buy it and how much was it.

Thanks again

5. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may find a Pulsar or SurgeArrest on the internet. But if you're ready to put the extra cash then the Belkin Pure A/V can be had at 120€. You'll notice that it is considerably more expensive than in the UK!

And don't expect to find one in Belgium, your friend will have to cross the border and get to France to a DIY store called 'Leroy Merlin'. You might find it elsewhere in France (Fnac or Conforama), but if you want to be 100% sure to get one, you need to visit a Leroy Merlin. Their website shows you all their stores in France.

Cheers,

David

6. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. dm57

dm57

Products Owned: