Help:- Poor XP Network copying speed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark Ward, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've done a lot of keyword searching in google about poor network performance with 100MBit Lan cards and XP, aparantly the problem also affects Win2000.

The registry edit solutions in the MS knowledge base are only for a specific Intel Lan card, needless to say this is of little help when using a variety of cards and/or motherboard Lan adaptors.

Does anyone have any advice on improving Network transfer, both streaming and (more importantly for me) copying across my network.

Any advice greatfully recieved,

Thanks,

Mark.

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What Network Interface cards are you using and what switch?

How do you know the performance is bad?

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Many PCs on my network, 3-Com mostly, I tend to use the 3-Com port on my Mobo too. Linksys 8-Port Workgroup Network switch and a Netgear DG-834G DSL Router/Firewall. All wired, no wireless at all.

Copy times are just stupidly long, I have been moving quite a few Gigs around whilst "house-keeping" and I get transfers taking MANY hours. Also the time left frequently goes UP despite no other network traffic. "137 Mins Left" Check back later "145" Mins Left.

I'll post some times later,

Mark.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok, was already timing a singke file when I posted lest time...

Single Ghost backup file of 4gb takes 22 Minutes, I'm wondering whether the size of my drives may be the problem, but it does seem a lot slower than our work's network. I can move a 4.7gb data backup file in a LOT less time than that.

Mark.

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you're using explorer to copy files from one window to another, i find that closing both of the windows once the "copying" one with the flying file animation has started, speeds up the transfer considerably. I don't know why this happens, but usually seems to work lol

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    22 mins is a long time over a 100mb network.

Just tested mine. 4Gb file took 9 mins. Im using a mixture of onboard Nvidia NICs and Dlink NICs. The switch is a Dlink 8 port switch.

Are your network cables home made?

Have you checked the settings of your NICs - Should be AUTO or 100/Full duplex.

Are the lights on your switch showing 100mb? Any collison lights showing up?

Theres a great tool for network monitoring - bad packets/errors/collisions etc. I have a copy at work - its currently monitoring a large DIY superstore that has a network that keeps falling over. Its all 3com by the way - Im not a fan of 3com. I will try and get a copy if you want it.

7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Some are, but these specific ones in the example are not and I'm pretty sure the ones I've done are as good as anything bought. Another thought I just had...What about Mains Cable interference? Could that contribute?

Originally all were AUTO but I forced them 100/Full to see if that improved things but it hasn't.

All are showing 100mb, I don't have collision lights on my switch or router:(

Thanks that would be a big help.

Cheers,

Mark.

8. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Cat5 (Unless its shielded) should not run parralell with AC voltage of any kind especially the dirty stiff with use in this country. However, I have (not out of choice) a couple of runs that lay next to mains cable and have no issues.

I will try and get this program for you - hopefully that will eliminate some things.

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Mark, I have the same motherboard as you IIRC (Asus 7N8X deluxe rev 2.0). I'm also using the 3com nic and have pretty slow network transfers. Wonder if its something to do with this board?

Have you installed the 3com NIC doctor that comes with the motherboard? It was installed when I installed the LAN drivers for the 3com NIC.

On my PC this shows 3 CRC errors and 2 frame alignment errors in about 64k of packet transmissions and 40k of packet receipts.... so I'm not sure why mine is slow either.

How are you networking the PCs? As in, are you using TCP/IP, Netbui, Netbios?

Without installing NWLink NetBios, I couldn't actually make my PC's see each other, despite the fact they are on the same workgroup, have a similar IP address (192.168.7.xxx) and are on the same subnet. Pain in the backside. I know I had this working with netbui last year, but for whatever reason, I can't get it working again now.

Sorry I'm not more help but maybe that 3com diagnostic s/w will show something up. PM me if you need me to send it to you somehow.

10. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the same motherboard and in the same boat! wasn't impressed with the sppeds at all...will keep an eye on this thread

11. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I see - the Asus a7n8x has 2 LAN ports - 1 Nvidia & 1 3com. Why dont you just use the Nvidia one to see if its the 3com thats the issue.

Like I said - 3com maybe the biggest name in NICs and networking - but I have numerous problems with their switches and NIC's.

12. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are you sure it is your network? I had a similar problem with a new machine recently, and after many dead ends, found it was the disc that was the problem, well actually it was the two discs sharing the IDE cable, when I swapped the data drive on IDE 0 for another disc, the problem went away - and the disc that had caused the problem worked quite happily paired with a different hard disc.

Download the disc manufacturers test utility and do a sector check (read only!) and make sure the disc is working prroperly if you suspect anything.

I've just checked on just under 3Gb data in 6 ISO files and it ran at 8.97Mbytes per second, (of the 1024**2 variety) which is probably about as fast as it gets over 100Mbit network.

13. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You could try using a direct link from one of your pcs to anther with a crossover cable. Give both pcs static ips, and note the transfer speed doing it that way.

I'm not a big fan of using Windows for copying files, tend to use Microsoft's Robocopy most of the time.

Another thing likely to affect speed of operation is anti virus software settings (if you're running any). Try switching it off, and see if there is noticeable difference.

14. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are using LAN cards/Switches/Mobo from different manufacturers, you might find it more beneficial to switch down to half-duplex.

I used to admin a network based around 3COM Hubs/Switches with ATI NICS and the best network performance when copying large files like you are doing was gained by running the network half duplex.

As mentioned above, I think the use of a crossover cable will help in your fault finding

15. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Same motherboard here Asus A7N8X deluxe rev 2.0,using the 3com nic and a Dlinlk hub no problems streaming video and transfering files,other nic is disabled.
    running XP Pro,SP1,Norton systemworks.

16. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wow! Loads of replies.....

Mr. Wilby
    Could be I guess, though the problem is also present between my ShuttlePC and a separate PC that have a 3-Com NIC in it.

No, I haven't installed the NIC doctor, though I do have it.

Not sure if I'd understand the results but I may well try that if I get no-where with these other bits.

Purely TCP/IP no Netbui/Netbios, I read that they slow dow transfer.

I also had terrible trouble getting the machines to see each other, I'm not sure if it was this that fixed it but I got it working after creating a user account on each with exactly the same name and password.

Thanks for the idea, I'll have a look at the diag s/w

Loafer316
    I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.:)

DrummerJohn
    I kept with the 3-Com for compatibilty with the other NICs, but no harm trying:)

I was always recommended to use 3-Com by a knoweledgeable friend, though that was in the Win3.x days, these days all mobos have the NIC on them.

Pootle
    No I'm not sure it was my network, but a google keyword search for "slow network transfer XP" shows plenty of people with similar probs, MS-KB have a reg "fix" for a specific Intel NIC, but that doesn't help me

Almost all my drives are Seagate Baracuda, in fact they ALL are now, a SATA in the shuttle and IDE in the other 5 machines.

It's not one disc, it's from any to any but I'll try anything.

Pringtef
    That's worth a try between 2 of the PCs in the same room, I always used fixed IPs on this network anyway.

I've never heard of Robocopy, but I'll do a google and read more.

That's a very good point. Each of my PCs has Sygate Personal Firewall running and each also has McAfee Virus Scan 7 could these be affecting the transfer of large files?

MikeyCrawford
    Sounds worth a try

OK, will definitely try.

Should I turn off the QOS (Quality of service) option BTW?

RobDear
    My other NIC is also disabled and I also have no trouble streaming video, my problems are related to moving large files from PC to PC.

Will keep trying...LOTS to think about there...Thanks everyone:)

Mark.

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    Have you got your network drives mapped ? I'm sure I've made things go faster in the past by mapping each shared drive onto each computer. It's worth a try, although I can't say that this is definately the cure.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Run XP's network performance monitor, what Utilisation are you getting when this transfer is in progress? Doing an XCOPY from a command prompt I get 80% solid showing I think I'm throttling on the destination disk I/O.

Note that using Explorer drag/drop can give you terrible performance unless you twiddle the registry setting (whatever it is) to bump up the block size.

19. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Blimey - this has turned into a great thread.

You should never have to tweak XP settings to get good transfer rates using explorer. If you do then your network is not right.

Mapping a drive shouldnt make any difference.

Antivirus software - turn it all off, including the services in the background, while transferring big files. Its most probably analysing each file. And if they are ISO's or ZIP's then it will likely to be opening each and everyone.

Good luck.

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's not actually correct, there are many registry settings which improve performance that M$ don't tell you about, especially TCP/IP values like MTU et. al.

Explorer uses a brain-dead small block-size when copying files, see for yourself the difference in time it takes to drag/drop a huge file compared to the time it takes to COPY or XCOPY the same file from a command prompt.

21. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well, a LOT of success today!:) 4.29Gb (4,505,600Kb) File for Test and a stopwatch.

First attempt:- 31 Minutes, pretty typical for me.

Disable VirusScan "On-Access Scan" (Couldn't work out how to complete disable VScan) and turned off Sygate Firewall on both machines and.....

Explorer
    7Min 38 Secs :smashin:

Explorer Closing Window as soon as copying starts
    7 Min 36 Secs :smashin:

Command Prompt XCopy
    7 Mins 36 Secs :smashin:

I had no idea these apps were so intrusive on performance.

I previously tried a TCP Optimiser program from SpeedGuide so that may be the reason I get no difference between Explorer and XCopy.

Really happy about this, but will still try some more tweaks and checking cable runs in relation to Power cables.

Thanks everyone,

Mark.

22. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I didnt say optimal - I said good - so I am correct. Everything can be tweaked to get better performance - but, straight out of the box - transfer speeds using explorer should be good.

Mark - nice one - its good to see everyone working together on this.

23. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Here's another bit of XP weirdness for you (it might even be the cause of your woes).

I was tearing my hair out at work trying to figure out our XP PCs running gigabit NICs were copying files up to the server at a STUPIDLY slow rate (about 20 minutes to copy 100Mb, that sort of thing).

The cause? As someone has already said, the XP explorer is a pretty braindead application, but the worst part of all is the little routine, clearly written on a Friday afternoon, that handles copy operations done via "right-click-copy, right-click paste"! Its fine for single files of any size, but you try copying large numbers of files, and watch it take 5 seconds to copy a 10kb file (it's slow enough to read them all individually).

Most of our staff had got into the habit of using this method for file copying. They've been very swiftly retrained!

24. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yandros - Ive never had that issue using XP Pro. I rip DVDs and send them backwards and forwards to my fileserver all the time. In fact I backup all my file from my PC to my file server - approx 200000 - within a reasonable amount of time.

It certainly is strange how moving data can be so different for others even using the same OS.

25. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So how would you copy aside from the right click routine?

26. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Drag and drop (either within the same explorer window, or to a second explorer.

Symantec antivirus (corporate edition), can have a serious effect on speed for us, but we ruled it out from this wierdness.

drummerjohn - the general wierdness of PCs never ceases to amaze me, and the more complex they get, the more oddball things keep cropping up (bring back DOS 6.22 I say!). For the record, these are all very much mainsteam high end hardware - P4 3.2 on an ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe mobo, with SATA Seagate Barracudas or SATA Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 , using the onboard gigabit LAN. All are XP-PRO SP1 with all updates, and the standard Asus drivers, with NTFS partitions. They're talking to a Windows Server 2003 PDC (Xeon 2.4 with a PCI-X hardware RAID5 controller and 5 disk NTFS array)

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    Our software used to run on Multi User DOS - one CPU and hard disk used to support up to 16 dumb terminals and it used to run quick. Now that's what I call a multi-tasking operating system. This was in the days before Pentium 3 processors as well, so it shows just how wasteful of resources modern windows is. Obviously there was no GUI but for these applications it wasn't necessary.

28. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    It gets weirder !
    I've just copied a folder across the network containing 586 photos (541MB)
    Right click copy and paste 65 seconds
    Drag and drop copy 85 seconds
    :confused:

29. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    It figures.

Maybe our office is built on a ley line. :confused:

I can't complain. Microsoft unfathomable wierdness is what keeps me gainfully employed.

30. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,119
    i had this problem with the NVidia Gb & 100mb NIC and my d-link switch. Used a Genius 100mb PCI NIC and all ok.