Help plz - is my 875 faulty?

R

RickyS

Hi there,

I think i've got a problem with my new Onkyo 875. I am very new to this and would appreciate your advice & guidance.

Whilst watching a film last night at volume -20 (approx), the AV receiver just switched off and the standby light began flashing. Switched it on again to resume - which worked - for a while until the same thing happened again.

Searched the forum/internet to investigate. Came across one source which suggested to check the 'volts/impendance' being outputted from each channel.

With the AV receiver being set at 6ohms to drive 8ohms speakers, each channel should be outputting about the same value.

This is what I get:

FL : 3.0
C : (-)2.8
FR : 1.3

SL : 6.6
SR : 8.2

This is not due to the speakers but the AV receiver itself. Is this normal?

Take note of the Centre speaker reading a value of -2.8. This suggests that the polarity is wrong. However everything is wired up correctly at the back of the amp i.e. positive is to positive and negative is to negative.

Could there be an error in the AV receiver? Any advice anyone can provide would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Ricky

Hi there,

I think i've got a problem with my new Onkyo 875. I am very new to this and would appreciate your advice & guidance.

Whilst watching a film last night at volume -20 (approx), the AV receiver just switched off and the standby light began flashing. Switched it on again to resume - which worked - for a while until the same thing happened again.

Searched the forum/internet to investigate. Came across one source which suggested to check the 'volts/impendance' being outputted from each channel.

With the AV receiver being set at 6ohms to drive 8ohms speakers, each channel should be outputting about the same value.

This is what I get:

FL : 3.0
C : (-)2.8
FR : 1.3

SL : 6.6
SR : 8.2

This is not due to the speakers but the AV receiver itself. Is this normal?

Take note of the Centre speaker reading a value of -2.8. This suggests that the polarity is wrong. However everything is wired up correctly at the back of the amp i.e. positive is to positive and negative is to negative.

Could there be an error in the AV receiver? Any advice anyone can provide would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Ricky

Ricky,

It could be overheating. Does the top of the amp feel hot? Warm is ok, cook an egg is not.

How much space does it have?

Hi - thanks for the reply. The AV receiver has about 25cm of space available on top of it, 15cm clearance at the back and no restriction on the sides.

Could the AV receiver overheat when not being used for very long at the -20 volume mark?

Also, is it odd - that the centre channel is giving me a negative reading on my multimeter (suggesting that positive/negative connections are the wrong way round)?

Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom