1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help plse with editing prob

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dragon1, May 25, 2003.

1. dragon1

dragon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just captured a music video onto HD and then encoded it ( using TMPG) as an mpeg (2).

what i am trying to do is to cut the one file (4gb) into all the seperate songs (21).

Has any body any idea how i can do this without continually encoding (again) or losing the quality.

Also if anyone can point me in the right direction for some authouring S/W that will allow me to put these tracks onto a DVD ( it might take 2 to keep the quality) and have a front menu so i have the option of playing the whole concert or just individual tracks.

I know to some of you "experts" this will sound straight forward but i have been slaving over the internet all day trying to find some suitable S/W ...................... I need help !

Andy

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Tocut you file into the individual tracks you need an editing programme. These vary from free to several hundred pounds.
    If you have Windows XP then you can download Movie Maker 2 free from the Microsoft website. This will only work with WinXP.
    If you have another version of Windows then you can go for the very popular Pinnacle Studio 8 that can be bought for around £70.
    Others are available from companies such as Ulead, Adobe etc. A search on the likes of Dabs/ebuyer etc will find several options. The same companies will also do DVD authoring or you can use Nero etc to burn to DVD. The basic programmes that were supplied with the DVD burner should be able to do all you need.

Mark.

3. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    dragon1

This simple editing can easily be done within TMPGEnc using your original captured video file:

Settings > Advanced tab > check Source Range and double click on the source range option text. This will open the TMPGEnc editor and allow the selection of in and out points with frame accuracy (you can also remove sections if you want). When you have set the in and out points press OK to exit and then encode as normal.

Simple and no quality loss, and no need for a full editor.

To author look at Ulead Digital Movie Factory 2 its cheap, works well and gives good control of menus.

4. dragon1

dragon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JefUK,

Thanks for the reply, however I have altready tried TMPG ( source range) to split up the video but all this is going to do is RE-ENCODE already encoded video. unless there is a way to just cut each portion out, likewise I have tried using "cut and merge" from the " tools" but this will RE-ENCODE but at a lower quality than i already have.

The original footage from the VHS was over 32gb, I put it through my own TMPG dvd template and that is what gave the 4gb MPEG 2 file.

It is this file that i want to split into segments. I am wondering if there is a simplw cut and paste editor somewhere that will allow this.

I am just checking out MarkE19's suggestion to use window movie maker.

I do have a reasonable spec system ...1800mhz/1 gbram /200gb hd running xp home

5. army

army
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use program called honestech mpeg editor 3 for editing large mpeg files its up to version 5.0 now i think.
    A program called Procoder is the best encoder ive used for converting DV into Svcd compatable mpeg 2 and is the main reason i havent bought a dvd writer.

6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Dragon,

You don't say how you captured in the footage to your PC. This is quite important. MPEG2 format is not the best format to use for a first captured file, as it is very difficult to edit. If you can use a DV file format to edit with first as it is easier to make frame accurate cuts with, then when you are happy with it encode it to MPEG 2 and burn to DVD. There are many software packages on the market that can do everything you want.

I have been doing Video editing for around 8 years so please contact me directly if you need more details !!!! Please include basic specs on your PC and video kit also.

Regards

Mark T

stuff@digistuff.co.uk