1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dennis, Jul 6, 2003.

1. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    could some kind person with an ax10i setup give me some help mainly with sub set-up,i have full set of kef q5's floorstanders and a b@wasf675 sub,what's the best set-up,is it best on large,small,or plus.
    i have noticed if the sub is on plus every time i change channel on tv or press button on remote the sub THUMP'S is this normal?,isupose i realy havent got the hang of what sub's are for just lfe or all base,
    have pity kind people.:confused:

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dennis
    I havent got the ax10 but most people on the forums set all speakers to small so all bass goes to sub set the xover on the amp to 80hz .The sub thumping on changing channel isnt normal i owned the asw675 and it was silent on changing any component.I have read on the forums that if youve disconnected the sub at any time ie pulled the phono cable out of the sub while switched on can damage the subs input so that it thumps on changing components mybe one of the more experianced forum members will be able to explain better.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    thank's gonzo,
    oh f..k i have pulled the phono out while it's still on,hope i havent killed it !..it work's ok though?.when you say it diverts all the base to sub dosent that make getting these floorstander a waste of time?.
    thanks
    den..

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "base to sub dosent that make getting these floorstander a waste of time"

Setting to small 80hz will divert <80hz to the subwoofer. In a AV setup this works well.

However for 2 channel direct you might prefer sending full range to the left &rights, with no subwoofer. If you have sats - ie Kef Eggs this is impossible.. the subwoofer must be on.

Course depending on your room, your taste, what you listen to, quality of subwoofer etc.. you might have a cheap subwoofer and find it doesn't blend in well or sounds bad to complement your speakers for music.

I have standmounts in my music system, floorstanders in the AV system. The AV amp can be tailered to either 80hz, or large depending on what you like.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dennis
    What forum members found out was when all bass below say 80hz was sent to the sub it left your speakers a lot easier signal to drive so the sound emmited actually sounds better that went for people with floorstanders and bookshelf size.Try it out yourself and see what you think.
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have Linn Ninka floorstanders and a CHT-10 Subwoofer. I only use my subwoofer for av purposes as the Ninkas offer a good level of base on their own for stereo imo. I do however set my speakers to large and set bass to main and lfe (I have tried small but prefered large) with crossover set to 80hz.
    It's best to experiment and find the combination that suits your own ear.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklord, does that mean the floorstanders & subwoofer are reproducing the same frequencies? When I set my mains (response down to 40hz) to large, and subwoofer to 80hz- I get a boomy sound.. I think the double-bass is causing this.

8. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    many thank's to all of you,i have just set it to small and it sounds ok,i will try it for a while,
    gonzo,i wish you hadnt told me about the"thump"i'm going all paranoid now!!:suicide: .

ps.
    iv'e learnt more on this site than any of the mags!!

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dennis
    If i was you ring b&w up in the morning and tell them what you told me but dont tell them that youve been taking the phono out without switching it off tell them it just started doing it on its own ;) they will probably tell you to take it to your dealers for repair under warranty.
    Dennis did the sub thump when you first installed it.?
    Cheers Gonzo.

10. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i'll do that gonzo,i cant remember if it did do it when i got it,i allready have e-mailed their support dept to tell them of this problem,will see what they say,it's not the end of the world the sub still works ok..:hiya:

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think that they may intefere (constructively and destructively) when lower frequencies are duplicated which I think can cause boom. In my case I have tried small and large settings for a while and prefered the mains set to large+lfe. I do not notice any boom on playback and prefer the warmer sound this seems to give. Bass appears to sound less directional and is felt rather than heard.
    I don't have this issue when listening to music as I only use the Ninka Floor standers for this purpose. They sound awesome imo especially with the upgrade polymer bases and give as much bass as I think necessary for musical purposes. I only currently have them bi-wired but they offer a bi-amping and ultimately active upgrade path which I have to look forward to when funds allow.