help please

eastwook

Standard Member
hi all,

I need to know exactly what cables to run to my TV (Pioneer KRL-37) as they are going under the floor before the carpet goes down:confused:. The TV is approx 8M away from the rest of the kit, which includes Arcam AVR350 surround amp, Blue Ray DVD player(to be decided) and Sonos for music. I want the best sound quality and picture i can achieve.

Im going to run a 100mm tube under the floor to house these cables and will install some pull chords for future upgrades and mistakes :mad:etc but still want to get it right first time:)

TV has usual 3 HDMI and Optical Digital Audio Out. I will be using the TVs in built free view to start with but will upgrade to HD at some stage.

Any advice much appreciated cheers

Can some one tell me how many and what sort of cables to install to and from the TV? The kit is being built into an understairs cupboared out of sight it will all be controlled by an all in one remote. Can the sensor for this be wireless?

Phlog

Novice Member
Central to your options is the Arcam amplifier. Whilst it has a good reputation for sound quality it has limited HDMI switching. So whilst your TV has three inputs, the amp has just two, and those are only for switching. So you could include a couple of HDMI leads. But since you are contemplating buying a blu-ray player, you may want to consider changing the amplifier to one that can decode the high resolution audio tracks. If you add an HD TV tuner that will have filled up both Arcam HDMI inputs.

Do consider running the audio output from the TV back to the amplifier. And don't forget the aerial input to the TV. If the latter requires connectors, do remember that these can degrade the aerial input signal.

It seems you have no need for analogue AV inputs to the TV.

eastwook

Standard Member
Cheers for the above. I may be thinking about the AVP700, what do you think?

Can you clarify these connections?

A- Aerial to TV coaxial - what type is best?
B- Digital Optical Out to AMP - for audio
C- DVD to AMP (HDMI)
D- HDTV TUNER to AMP (HDMI)
E - AMP to TV (HDMI)

God its an expensive game, and confusing, but worth it i hope!
:smashin:

Phlog

Novice Member
Cheers for the above. I may be thinking about the AVP700, what do you think?

Can you clarify these connections?

A- Aerial to TV coaxial - what type is best?
B- Digital Optical Out to AMP - for audio
C- DVD to AMP (HDMI)
D- HDTV TUNER to AMP (HDMI)
E - AMP to TV (HDMI)
Sorry, don't have any experience of the Arcam AVP700.

I'm not too sure what you are asking me to clarify on the connections - you seem to have done it already in your list...

At minimum you do need three HDMI leads, one Toslink (digital optical), and an aerial link.

Most people (including me) specify satellite cable for their aerial (it's shielded). For the HDTV receiver you will need a standard satellite installation.

Hope this helps

davepuma

Distinguished Member
As already mentioned I would run a couple of HDMIs, an optical cable for audio, F-lead (aerial) for the TV's built-in tuner and perhaps some cat5e/cat6 network cables for future use. Obviously you'll need a mains cable for the TV and if possible, keep it separate. You're already installing some pull chords so should you need to add anything, it should be relatively painless. As already stated, your Arcam AVR350 simply switches HDMI so if you have any analogue sources, you would need to run those output cables as well. I'm sure that when you do change the amp, it would be to an upconverting model that would convert analogue connections to HDMI but it's something to think about. For example if you added a games console like the wii (component or composite video) you would need to connect direct to the TV or via an analogue cable buried in the wall. If you're not planning on adding any non HDMI sources, forget about that. Make sure you test everything before finalising the install. Are you fitting brush faceplates for the cable exits? If not, I recommend you do.

The Logitech Harmony 895 operates via RF using an extender so it would be worth looking at or look at the Keene IR kit. I use a IR faceplate on the wall for my bedroom setup in a wardrobe which in turn relays the IR via cable to the kit inside. If you cannot run the cabling, RF would be the way to go.

Let us know how you get on with the TV, information and reviews on the Pioneer LCD's is very thin on the ground. I just wish Pioneer still made a 42" set.....

eastwook

Standard Member
Thanks for your advice guys. Just a couple of things what is F-Lead is this a high quality coaxial such as the recommended satellite cable?

I am going to install a Wii as well. Is the output component or composite i think there is a difference?

I had a 42" Panasonic lined up but it was too big for Mrs Eastwook:D so after a couple of arguments i compromised and said if i cannot have the 42" Panny i would have to have the 37" Pioneer. To be perfectly honest i think the 42" option would have been to big! But i have not told her that:devil:. The quality of the pioneer was obvious in the shop i will let you know how i get on.

Cheers

davepuma

Distinguished Member
F-connector refers to the screw on connector used on satellite boxes and in some cases for the aerial connection on TV's (not UK). For decent quality satellite coax with F-connectors and RF Flyleads (aerial) see satcure.co.uk.

The best connection from the wii is the component cable which is optional. The wii ships with a composite cable but the pic quality is noticably worse than the component output. I setup a wii at work and we used the official nintendo cable. There might be a cheaper alternative, check the wii forum for recommendations. Regardless, if you connect the wii to the amp, you will need to run a long cable of the same type from the amp to the TV i.e. composite in, composite out or component in, component out. I don't think the Arcam performs any form of upconversion from composite to component but as I said I would definitely use the component option for the wii. For component cables, take a look at markgrant or bluejeanscables for good quality custom length jobs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom