Help please..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Simonse16, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Simonse16

Simonse16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got hold of a great projector,(sony vw11ht) but now v keen to get the surround sound / DVD to go with.

so looking for advice re:

- DVD player with component output (multiregion)
    - AV Receiver / Amp
    - Speakers

Total budget c. £1-2K

Thanks.
    Si

2. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could build a HCPC/HTPC. It's a bit messy, but if you want absolute control over everything this is the way to go.

Or

Denon 3802 amp - 600
    Denon 2800 mkII player - 600

leaving £800 on speakers.

You could try and pick up the old mission cinema 7 pack from richer sounds - this still holds its own... + you could get it for around £300

Hope this helps

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Out of interest ... how does this help with getting surround sound. Okay I know a HTPC usually will have a digital output, or have DD decoding built in ... but you still need to add in an amp and speakers.

Victoria

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Have a look at superfi, B&W 600 series should be yours for £800-1000.

5. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could get one of the speaker packages for pc's (have a look in pc world). If you were serious about quality, you would probably still want a decent amp though.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Don't you think that if someone has gone to the expense of a projector that they want/need more than just little Cambride Audio or Logitech Speakers. Yes, I agree, in the right circumstances a HTPC is a great device, but most people would be better off with quality "normal" components.

I'd split the budget as follows.

£350 - £400 for a DVD player - that should get you a good prog scan DVD like the new Philips (though you may have to wait to actually get one). Yes you will get a better DVD picture from a HTPC ... but to get a good quiet one you'll probably be looking nearer £1000.

Then split the remainder in about half - slightly more on the speakers if this is a one time spend ... or slightly more on the amp if you intend to do later upgrades for better speakers. If this is a 1 time spend you may want to look at more budget amps and then get a decent sub.

My favorite (5 ch) speaker package would be B&W 602 fronts (£300), 601 rear (£250) and LCR60 for centre (£200) - for 6/7ch look at adding an additional 1 or 2 601 for centre rear. Other speakers to look at would be Mission M7, KEF Q series and Monitor Audio Silver series.

For amplifiers, look either around the Denon 3802 (£600) or Pioneer 2011 (£700), unless you also need a sub in which case I would look at the Marantz SR5300 (£350) or the Yamaha AX630 (£350) and then spend the remainder on a sub - look at Velodyne, REL and MJ Accoustic, or for more budget priced look at the Paradigm PS1000 (£230).

Victoria

7. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I sounded as though the guy had got it cheap or someone gave it to him. why would you first buy a projector but not have much idea what to connect to it?

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    For the same reason as I've seen some guy posting that they've bought a set of Nautilus 800 speakers and asking what amps they should buy.

Becuase they think / know / have heard that they are good ... oh and cause they have the money!!

Victoria

9. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you're probably right.