1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Family Guy, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guy's - thinking caps on!!
    I have a problem that is driving me up the wall and any help would be appreciated.
    I have recently had a complete change of AV gear and since then my bass has just dissapeared.
    My current kit consists of a Yamaha DSP A2, Kef Cresta 2's on the front (set to small on the speaker set up), Kef Cresta centre (Set to small) and Jamo surround 300 on the rear (again set to small) The sub is a REL QBass connected by phono cable to the sub out terminal on the A2. All Bass and LFE is directed to the REL. The Kef's are bi-wired to the Amp.

The sub was positioned in between the front 2 speakers but there was not a sign of bass in the room at all. The sub is working and is set to 75 db using the THX optimode on a DVD as the A2 does not have a low frequency output when using the test tone.

I thought it would be a positioning problem. I move dthe sub and it is now right up against a wall about 1 metre to the left of the listening position. Ther is some bass but you have to turn the volume up on the sub to get it and it is obviously way above the level of the other speakers.

One thing I found curious. During a bass heavy scene (the meteor crashing scene at the beggining of Armegedon), I went right down close to the cone on the sub. It was moving furiously but I couldn't HEAR any LFE. Come to think of it, I couldn't feel anything either. This movement on the cone tells me that the sub is working. You can the tone on the sub output on the THX optimode. Just when you think you have everything set up and the SPL is reading 75 db on all channels, you sit down to watch a movie and all you can hear is treble and high frequencies.

Do I need to move the sub again? Should I bin the SPL (which I have always sworn by) and trust my ears (Which aren't as good as they should be)? Could it be something to do with bi wiring the Kef's? Should I get a new hobby??!!

One for you maybe Uncle Eric...:rolleyes:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Are you getting good bass levels when you turn up the volume level on the Rel??

If you´re not then maybe theres something wrong with the sub i.e if you have to turn the volume to max or near max.

If you are then just set it to the volume level you like.

I´ve found the THX optimiser sub level doesnt have enough bass even when set to 75db. I use the AVIA test disc instead but still turn up the bass level a couple of db to get the desired effect.

Maybe General Skanky can help, hes got a Yammie A2 and Q bass sub.

I wouldnt have thought bi-wiring would cause a lack of bass either:confused:

cheers

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army Bloke........I have the Rel Q50 and spent ages trying to set it up, at first i wondered what all the fuss was about with this speaker.
    As far as i know the Q50 has to be facing the wall and not out in the open towards the listening area.

I have mine in an alcove which is about 7 ftwide and 2.5ft deep, the sub is in the middle of the alcove facing the wall turned at a slight angle about 18ins out, the results are perfect, the bass this thing kicks out is amazing, now i know what they were on about, you feel more than you here.
    Before i changed the room around i had the sub as close as 5ins from the wall and even that gave good results.
    It just sounds like a positioning problem to me, i know these subs can be awkward to set up' but patience will be rewarded.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What AV gear have you changed when the bass disappeared. Was it just the amp or the speakes as well.

I bought a Sony 1070 a few months ago and set all of the speakers up with an SPL meter (inc REL Q Bass) and everything was balanced perfectly. I recently bought a Marantz amp and went through the same process again but this time when balanced with the SPL meter there was no bass at all in practice. I have sub / sats so the lack of bass was very obvious and was rectified by whacking up the LFE level by a few Db until the ears said OK.

What is concerning is the fact that the cone is pumping but no sound is coming out as I thought that the two went hand in hand. You don't have young children do you who play with sharp pointy things ?

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brian,

Moving the Sub around is not an Off and On switch for subs. This mainly helps fine tuning.
    Heres what to do. Assuming you can't borrow another sub to try, set speakers on amp settings to large. If there is no (limited of course) bass coming from the KEF's then your amp could be at fault.

If there is bass coming from the KEF's when set to large, then the chances are that your sub is at fault. Particularly when considering large cone movements with little or no sound.
    Q50's (including mine that does living room duty) have been known to suffer from dry joints in the past. Contact a REL dealer near you who can send it back for repair.

Best Wishes
    Eric

ps. Dont forget to try changing the phono lead as well. You never know.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you set the sub in position 1 or 3, and have the crossover set to minimum... Change it to 2 or 4, so it bypasses the internal crossover, it should work fine then...

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uncle eric.....when i first got my REL Q50 it went straight in to the gap left by the previous sub, when going through the set up i thought there was a problem with the sub, cone was moving but very limited bass, this was rectified by having the cone face the wall and not into the listening position. In my case is was just like an on and off switch.

As a matter of interest how is yours postioned? (your sub that is)

cheers bob

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help. Thanks to you lot I think I've got it licked. It was a case of moving the GEAR AROUND THE SUB. I did the old put the sub in the listening position and crawl around on all fours trick. It worked but the spot where the sub had to go just wasn't viable. So at 10pm on a Thursday night, me and Mrs Bloke moved the room around to accomodate the sub!! Result? :D Deep, solid bass!!

Once again, thanks everybody. Now, if only Yamaha would provide bannana plug enabled binding posts, I would still have skin on my finger tips!:rolleyes:

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Mr & Mrs Army Bloke have discovered another dimension. Glad its sorted out.
    Best Wishes
    Eric

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,
    My two subs are positioned either side of my centre (about 4 ft apart) firing into the room not the wall.
    In fact Gordon was here last night and had a listen. Hopefully, he liked what he heard.

Eric

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers uncle eric.............i tried mine everywhich way but could not get the bass required when firing into the room only against the wall, my room is 24ftx20ft maybe that has something to do with it....cheers bob.