Help Please

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by PaulMerrills, Nov 7, 2005.

1. PaulMerrills

PaulMerrills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys im in a right quandry i have come into some money and want to treat myself to a nice 42" plasma screen, the requirements are that it must be hdtv ready,as i want to be able to get up and running with a minimum of fuss upon release.I can afford to spend about £1400 perhaps just a touch more,but not to much, as i want to have enough to get a xbox 360 and a few games on release :)
    Now this is one i've come up with myself but i need your opinions, because i havent a clue and it will be a long time before i can afford to treat myself like this again.
    Damn being a family man :)

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/product...DTV-Ready-Plasma-Television/spc/24969319.html

So thoughts please guys or if you have a better one please say so and please help me out by providing a retailer and price.
    Cheers Paul

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    First thing I notice is this: 1024 x 768 pixels

Whilst technically that is high definition the Xbox will be suited to 1280x720 as will Sky HD and the future DVD replacements.

I would be inclined to sacrifice the extra couple of inches screen space and go for something like this http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=9923 it is a tad over budget but there are probably rival products inside budget that have the same features, I only picked Samsung as I have first hand experience of their LCD's.

3. 10bii

10bii
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically 1024 x 768 is not HD. A display needs to show 1280 x720 resolution. See the thread in this section on the less than 50" displays.

4. PaulMerrills

PaulMerrills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how would that compare picture wise to the plasma.Also i heard the viewing angle on Lcds was not as good as a plasma.
    Also could somene please explain a contrast ratio as the plasmsa has 10,000 :1 and the lcd has 800:1
    thanks for you reply
    More ideas / opinion splease guys

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Paul

You really can't judge any display on the spec sheet alone - the fun&games the matketing departments play with such figures, renders then practically worthless in the real world - at least IMO.

Go and have a look - even if all you can get along to is a Currys or Comet, it will at least give you some idea of the relative merits and drawbacks of LCD v plasma.

Also, don't get "too" hung up on the panels resolution - just because one panel may be 1366x768, doesn't mean that panel will necessarily have a better picture than a panel with 1024x768 resolution - there's a lot more to a good picture than just the pixel count.
    Look for the HD ready logo - while it's getting a bit of a bashing in the "other" thread - it does at least give you a baseline - ie if a display doesn't wear the HD Ready logo then treat with caution (that is if you are interested in using the display for HDTV).

At 42", plasma probably has a slight price advantage - HD Ready models semm to start at around £1500-1600, while 42" LCDs seem to be aroung £2k.
    Drop the size slightly though to 40" and it seems prices are comparable - the new Sony Bravia 40" LCD looks to be around £1650 or so (and sports built-in freeview too).
    Of course, if you shop around, there are often deals to be had!

Personally I'd probably go for LCD - screen burn is a bit of a worry with plasma for me (although I read that the newer plasmas are better for this).
    Other than that though, I'm not sure it's possible to say which is best - I've seen good and bad examples of both - it's really a case of do your homework thoroughly, and while other people's opinions are good, let your own eyes be the final judge.
    It's you who will be planted in front of the thing for the next X years - not us!