1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by princephilly, Aug 22, 2005.

1. princephilly

princephilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, i have a budget og £2,500-£3,000 and would like a nice system!! amp, cd, speakers??? the music i would mostly b playing through it would b Hip Hop so it would have 2 b good with that kind of music aswell as not to bad with other types...
    i hope someone can help me out???
    Many thanks...

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Would you consider second hand or Ex demo systems? You would get far more for your money this way.

3. princephilly

princephilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mayb although withnew equipment you no where u stand with it all!!

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    True, but you pay an awfull lot more for that security. Ex Dem will usually give you full warranty but save you quite a lot on retail.
    Amps and speakers are generally a pretty safe bet second hand. No moving parts to go wrong. Solid state components either work or they don't.
    CD players can be a bit more of a gamble as they have moving parts but even then well built kit tends to go on for quite a few years.
    If you think you're likely to upgrade your equipment then this is the best way to go.
    If you're sure about what you want and definately DON'T want to upgrade then new would be good for the benefit you mentioned.
    Whichever way, it's best to take some music along to some hi fi retailers and hear some different systems.
    If I were doing it on that budget i'd go for something like the following.
    Sony DVD player (>£100)
    Second hand LINN AV5103 (>£1000)
    Second hand 2x Rega Exon Power Amplifiers (>£700)
    Depending on your room size, floorstanding PMC FB1 Speakers ex dem (>£1100)

The DVD player would be purely a transport using the 5103 as a DAC (Digital to Analogue) converter. You could add an external DAC at a later time as an upgrade.
    This comes pretty close to your budget but would leave you £100 or so for cabling. You shouldn't need much more than that.
    Doubtless others will come forward with there own ideas but I think this would give you a pretty good system for the money.

5. princephilly

princephilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for your help on this and i think u are right! i should probably go down the used/ex dem route!!
    those pmc speakers sure do look very nice aswell so ill have to get some of those, although i think i will probably opt 2 get new ones just incase they have been abused!!!
    another quick question!
    do i go this route we have been talking about or do i just blow 3k on a B&O system???

6. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy second hand u can get the same product for half price, and get the best source u can .on a 3 grand system spend 2 grand on a good cd player and split the rest on amp and speakers.

7. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do Not Go Down The B&o Route.

8. princephilly

princephilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks 4 that!! r u saying the B&O would not b worth it or r u saying they r crap??
    Either way i wont get 1 just interested what u think??

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I would've agreed with this 5 years ago. Not any more. Too many good cheap disc spinners out there now. Unless you're going to spend £4 - £5000 on a CD player don't blow 2/3 of the budget on a dedicated CDP. The differences are so slight as to be pretty much unnoticable, especially with a £600 integrated amp.

They look very stylish, if you like that sort of thing. They don't stand up against a similarly priced system from the likes of Rega, Exposure, Linn etc...

10. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Like one of the earlier posters has said if your going to buy a DAC then get a nice looking but cheap dac. maybe even a Pioneer universal, they get lots of merits as a transport.

For the sort of price you have you could go for a decent DAC a few of them have come out recently or a second hand Chord DAC at around £1000 and still have a decent amount left. But you can get a great sound for a lot less with some other dac i've got a Musical Fidelity A3.24 dac which sounds great. that was around £400. Look on this forums hififorsale.com and of course ebay all sorts of things come up.

If I was going to split 3 grand i'd do around £1500 on speakers £1000 on an amp and £500 on a player.

I realise you need cables etc... but if you buy new try to get them all together from one dealer and get them to throw some cables in.

If looks are a plus point, how about a Cyrus 8 amp, Cyrus 6 cd player, and a decent set of speakers. That is smart, doesn't take up to much space and would probably sound bloody good.

Or if I was going secondhand / new combo. I would go with something like i've got a Secondhand Musical Fidelity A308 + A3.24 dac and a say a new set of B&W 805s speakers, now that seems a nice 3k to me :)

Yes a expensive CD Player sounds fun, but out of the three parts it's the one where you can make the biggest saving to splurge out on the amp and speakers.