Help Please

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Chris1uk, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Chris1uk

Chris1uk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am looking to purchase either of the two 4KTVs from the below link, but I am confused by the technical specs.
    In real world viewing is there much difference in the two TVs and which one is the better option?

The TV will be used for 4K streaming via Netflix, general TV watching and some gaming on an Xbox One X.

Comparison between: 40" Samsung UE40MU6400, 42.5" Sony KD-43XE7003

Thanks in advance.

Chris

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Very different TVs mainly because they are using different panel types.

The Sony uses IPS so has wide viewing angles, but worse black levels, contrast ratio and you may find the screen less uniform. Most noticeable in dark scenes and dark viewing.

The Samsung uses VA so has narrow viewing angles, but better picture quality in terms of blacks, contrast and screen uniformity, so makes for a better TV overall to view in the dark.

The Samsung does have its downsides, namely using 3:2 pulldown to display film content, but in the real world most people won't notice this.

Then of course there are differences in smart TV, with the Sony using their modified Opera TV platform and Samsung using Tizen OS. Samsung keep their apps and TV guide separate whilst Sony have Youview with the apps both integrated into the catch-up guide and separate.

For your uses, I would get the Samsung.