1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 2nd Coming, Mar 29, 2005.

1. 2nd Coming

2nd Coming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi all,im so glad i found this site before spending any money. :) .ive been reading this section since saturday when my tv buggered up just before the football and so i had to watch it on the bedroom tv 21" .... not good at all.well ive read that much that my head is spinning.
    im looking to spend about 2 maybe 2500 pounds.ive been browsing over the vierra and very nice but is it future proof?is it worth waiting a while (bearing in mind the 21" tv)?
    how about seperate components? would i have enough money for anything decentish?
    it will need to run sky,xbox,dvd and i may run a pc up to it as well

2. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The current Viera is not really future-proof at all even though it's a great TV. The new TH-42PV500B Viera due in May will cater to all your High-Def needs and is within your specified price-range! Wait till May if you can! Only a months wait for years of potential viewing pleasure ;)

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pv500b.html

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's a tough call at the moment. You can choose between a system that will rock with current technology, inside your 2.5k, or the barest bones of an HD ready system. Though maybe you could kinda compromise and get an NEC VR5, that is HD compatible, or it's owners say it is anyway. That will leave you £1000 for sound and bits. Do you want speakers on your plasma, or could you cope this using the surround sound for all? Many people do, it's fine. The music for the news takes on a whole new dimension!

4. 2nd Coming

2nd Coming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    cheers for the advice lads :thumbsup: .i think im gonna wait it out for a month or 2 (after watching my 21" for a couple of month it will feel like more of a treat) and see whats available.

the new viera (out in may) looks just the ticket but could you answer a couple of questions please,

1- can the boards be changed on the viera?

2-i like the idea of a hub for when i hang the plasma on the wall so only 1 wore needs to be chased into wall,are they compatable? (i could be way off the mark here so could you put me straight if so ?)

3-i eventually want it to be a complete entertainment centre(for all my music,gaming video and my foriegn satellite with moving dish).is this tv prepared for all this?

ive now got a coup[le of month to do research and im really glad i found this site.very very helpful.great site

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No the viera is a fixed config, speakers fixed, etc. You could use a video scaler or an AV amp as a hub, and make just 1 connection to the screen with almost any plasma though, Viera included. Don't forget the power cable too though. In current technology, a video upconverting amp like the Yamaha 750 or Onkyo 602 will make all your sources appear as component video. There are amps now that will do this with HDMI, but if I were you I'd wait for that to become slightly more reasonable... A scaler though is £750 to go with a Viera, converts all analogue to digital video, and passes HDMI though at 720p, ie sky HD and current upscaling DVD players. However, on the hi def front, we all overlook that HD-DVD is 1080p in USA, hands up if your screen accepts 1080p? It's not part of the HDMI specification, a class document for a rainy day BTW,

6. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So Hi-Def pr0n DVDs from the US won't work over here? Bugger.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The players might well be the same, in fact I'd bet they will be, so make sure 1080p is on your list of supported resolutions