help please

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by tim68, Jul 4, 2015.

1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi all

Ill try and give as much info as I can

I have a Dune Base 3d along with a Qnap TS212 (2bay drive) and windows 8.1 pc

Yesterday I changed out my old modem and router for a Virginmedia Superhub

in the Dune I only have a USB portable drive with 3d iso's stored and all the rest of my movies/tv shows are stored on the NAS, I have added a network folder share to the Dune pointing at the folder in the NAS containing my media (movies/tvshows) and they play fine now

however I can't get my PC to point to the NAS or the portable drive attached to the dune, both devices show up within the superhub page, I can't even map the network drives from either device, it was all fine before I installed the Superhub

Any help to get me in the right direction is much appreciated

Thanks very much

Tim

Edit. I can view the home page for the NAS but that's as much as I can do. and the Dune settings still say workgroup.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Do all devices get their IP via DHCP or are some of them static IP's?

Check that all the network device settings are showing the same subnet (ie all are 192.168.0.?? and not a mix of this and 192.168.1.??) as this would prevent devices from seeing each other.

Mark.

3. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    think I've found the problem with regards to the PC, under the Network settings I've noticed that "Find Devices and Content" was set to off, I ticked that to on and its all shows up now under the Network tab.

Thanks Mark

I don't really understand networking very well at all. I'm sure I have read somewhere in this forum before that it's best to set static addresses for media players and NAS on a network, I done that after watching a few youtube videos to set that.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    My NAS (well an unRAID server) and media player have a static IP address, but PC, laptop & MacBook are all dynamic (not that I stream to or from them very often). This setup has been reliable for me.

I work in IT and can build & repair PC's, laptops & servers but have more than my fair share of issues with networks. So you are in good company in that regard.

Mark.