Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by meamens, Jan 14, 2005.

1. meamens

meamens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have just gotten hold of a Sony VPL-EX1 projector, now I know it's not really suited for home cinema use but I got it CHEAP and am stuck with it now. :) I'm building a HTPC that I will be plugging into it and using that mainly, but I'd also like to watch Sky or my DVD player through it from time to time.

It has the following inputs - DB15, S-Video, and composite (I think - yellow RCA socket?). I know how to plug my PC in, it has the vga cable in the box. How would I plug my Sky in though?? Can I get something to convert from SCART (preferably RGB) to DB15?? I've googled and can't seem to find anything, just DB15 to component which is no good to me (is it?). I've thought about using SCART to S-Video but won't that give me crappy quality? I've had bad experience with S-Video in the past. So what would you recommend then chaps?? Thanks in advance for any help..

Cheers,
    Marc Eamens

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    Hi,

if you are constructing an HTPC then surely you would be using this as your DVD player. Connected from the VGA to DB15.

With regards to SKY then you could output SKY for input into the HTPC through some form of capture card. I hear Sweetspot is very good for this, as it can take th RGB signal from your SKY box. ( With appropriate lead I hasten to add )

Anyhow just one or two ideas for you as I'm about to embark on the HTPC route myself later this year.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think this may be what you're looking for.

They also do SCART->S-Video which is what I use with my NTL STB, though to be honest I don't watch that much TV and so PQ isn't a main concern to me.

4. meamens

meamens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys!

Keith, I will be using my HTPC for most DVD playing however I'm a bugger for fiddling with things and breaking them. e.g. at the moment it's sitting on my desk in bits awaiting a mobo upgrade! So I'd like to have a proper DVD player plugged in for times like this. Also, I have got a Hauppauge PVR-350 too, but when browsing through the sky channels there is a delay of about 1-2 seconds which is very annoying for someone who likes to flick through the channels at 100mph, like me! :) Thanks for your suggestions though, any other ideas are very welcome.

Kragor, that box looks spot on, they mention problems with some projectors on their website though so I've fired off an email to them and am awaiting a response now. Fingers crossed! :) £120 as well - ouch! :rolleyes:

Doesn anyone out there have any cheaper ideas!?

5. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a scart --> component box here for £75 + £10 postage

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk

however just found out that Maplins sell it for £80 (easy to take back if crap:))

I've researched lektropacks and everyone seems to have good words for them. They do a whole range of stuff and may have whatever you need:)