Help Please!

malbo007

Standard Member
My dad wants to buy a new TV and has a £700 budget (roughly).

He currently has a 32" Panasonic Viera LCD tv and he likes the TV but fancies an upgrade to something bigger, therefore is looking for at least 42" but maybe even a 47" or 50" TV.

He is also going to upgrade to SKY HD so this will be his main input for the TV.

Can anyone recommend any TV's that will give him the best for his budget?

Its such a hard task trying to find him a TV. He isnt interested in 3D at all, so ive been looking at LED mainly.

I have seen some LG LED TVs on Richer Sounds around his budget (LG 47LE530) but is there anything better?? He did mention that he would love to get Panasonic again.

Hope someone can help.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Moved to 'which TV' forum :)

You pay a premium for LED and at that price point, it'll be edgelit and potentially suffer from clouding and poor uniformity (especially larger screens apparently)

I'd look at the LG 50pk590 plasma. Does he watch sport at all?

Panasonic wise, only plasmas, the 42G20 (around £660 from RS with warranty) or 46S20 (£580 from Amazon or £699 JL with longer warranty) should be in budget

Last edited:

malbo007

Standard Member
Hey thanks for the reply.

Its funny you mention the LGPK590 because my friend has this TV and i originally was going to suggest this to my dad, however my friend has since warned me off it. He complains that the quality on SD isnt good and it also suffers from screen burn? I will have a look at the panny plasmas, altho im not sure plasma is the best technology?

malbo007

Standard Member
Hearing alot about the LG LCD42LE7900 but this is only 42" and also the samsungs UE46C5100QWXXU and UE46C5800... anyone have these TVs?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Probably temporary image retention.

No flatscreens produce great SD pictures although generally plasma is better. 720p HD ready plasma might be worth considering if SD is important. Also depends on the source with HD

I quite liked the picture on this Samsung (but may also suffer image retention) SAMSUNG PS50C550 Plasma TV | Laskys.com

The best thing is go to a good AV retailer and look and decide for yourself :)

I'd be far more concerned about clouding and poor screen uniformity on those edgelit LEDs but again decide for yourself ;)

malbo007

Standard Member
Update

I went to view a few TVs with my dad the other day and we decided on the 42" panasonic G20 plasma. I must say having looked at all the TVs in the shops, this was by far the best picture!! We made the purchase from Richersounds as it was the cheapest at £600. I wish the 50" model was a bit cheaper but we decided to go for quality rather than quantity with the 42". Hope we are not dissapointed. Thanks to everyone for their help and input. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom