1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Arshad, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I just installed the broadband tv set-top box and it has a component out but my tv only has one component input. I have the onkyo 601 receiver though and it has 3 components.

Can I somehow use the component input of my onkyo amp to send the signal to my tv?

The guy who intalled it for me used the composite video in but I changed it to s video, wondering if component would be much better?

What is the use of so many inputs on the amp. though, it has 3 compoennts, about 8 s video, and many composite out? Does the inputs or outpouts on the amp. mean if I have limited inputs on my tv, I can use the inputs or outputs of my amp?

By the way, what is the highest resolution component cables can handle, i know it can handle 480p and 576p but does it support 720p or 1080i?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    You will find with most AV amp/receivers these days have atleast three sets of component phono/RCA jacks on the back.
    Obviously one will be an output to connect to your tv/plasma/projector the other two are inputs, so connecting your output to your display device leaves two inputs to play with. The component jacks will/should display whatever signal you throw at it be it interlaced 480i or HD/prog scan signals like 480p,720p,1080i etc.
    Your Onkyo amps component inputs may have to be configured(dvd,dtv etc)like my Yamaha does via the I/O Assign but once done you will be able to manually switch inputs normally.

Hope that helps :zonked:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The guy who installed it for you needs hanging, drawing and quartering. Go with Fuzzy's suggestion, and your picture quality will take a massive hike. It really does make a difference with a large screen.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wondering what is your "Broadband TV Set-Top Box"??

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm assuming it's a netgem, it's the only 1 with the features.

6. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot for the info guys.

I live in Hong Kong. So the brandband tv is a new thing here, but the set-top box is really nice spcially when it's the first time this kind of programs being offered here. It has 1 component, 1 s video and 2 compsite out. The channel are much much clear comparing to my normal tv channels, it almost looks like dvd even when composite is used. So far only 24 channles are being offered by the company maybe more will be offered later. The usual ones i watch are MGM, Discovery, Hallmark i thinnk it is called, STC, MTV and etc. Usually they advertise some new movies on it but hardly seen any on the MGM, they mostly show black & white films really old ones, really boring.

Wondering if some of the Discovery channels are being offered in HDTV?

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So I presume its a digital cable type service, like NTL (but with decent quality picture quality, apparently!)

8. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it is digital cable type service.

9. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fuzzybee

I figured it out with my onkyo amp/receiver and now I can use the component out of my set-top box to connect it to the amp. but I need to connect the tv with the compenent in to the amp. component out. So it seems i need to get another component cable to connect my dvd player to the amp. as well and then all will be sorted out. 3 component cables altogether. Am I right here?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds right from here, it will be excellent wired like that.

11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    It also sounds right from here, don't skimp on the cable though your eyes deserve it :smashin:

12. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as for the cables actually I bought one component cable before around HK$200 for my dvd player and the other component cable comes with the set-top box. Ofcourse the one comes with the set-top box is the crappy one.

Actually i have 3 compoent cables, from best to worst, so which cable should be connected to which input to give me the best PQ. Does it make any difference if i use the best component cable from my dvd player to the amp. and use the worse one for my set-top box to the amp. and use a little better one from my tv to the amp?

By the way will there be any difference in PQ if i were to connect my dvd player direclty to the tv rather than connecting it to the amp. component input?

The cables are pretty expensive though, do I have to buy the most expensive ones to get the best picture quality or the mid range price cable will do the trick?

Waiting for the Pioneer 434 here when available then will get good video cables.