Help please with setup

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by @ndr3w, Jan 23, 2008.

1. @ndr3w

@ndr3w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi All,

Had trouble setting up my home cinema last night. We origanlly had an LG Home cinema which worked fine but was without an optical connection for my XBOX. Because of this I decided to use another home cinema system.
    All I did was swapped out the head unit and speakers. Scart socket which was in our LG was now fitted to our Toshiba.
    DVD's and sourround sound work fine, however when I select Line 1 or Line 2 on the DVD remote the Home cinema is unable to pick up the SKY TV signal. As I say, I have not messed around with the wiring setup, I have just unplugged the scart from the old system and fitted to the new.

The Toshiba model is "Toshiba SD-63HK"

Thanks

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Have you actually got the sky box connected to line 1 or 2, I assume you have a standard sky box and not a + or HD version.

3. @ndr3w

@ndr3w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Andy,

Yes its a standard Sky Box. All I want to be able to do is use the Home Cinema as an amp when watching SKY. On my old system I just pressed "TV" on the remote which turned off the DVD function and allowed me to watch sky with surround sound. I was under the impression that If the scart from the Sky box went to the Home Cinema and the other scart from the Sky box was connected to the TV that when I selected Line 1 on the Home cinema that I would see and hear SKY TV.
    All i get on my LCD is "no signnal displayed" There is a setting through the DVD remote for line 1 which gives me options - Optical, Analogue & Coaxial. I have tried them all.

Here is a link to the user guide - http://www.richersounds.com/static/Manual_SD63.pdf

Sorry for sounding like a newbie. Hope this makes sense.

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    What is the make and model of your Home cinema system

5. @ndr3w

@ndr3w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Andy,

The make and model are in the above post. There is also a link to the user guide which may help.

Thnaks

6. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    First off sorry I thought the SD63 was just a DVD player?
    Connections and I will assume you have a LCD/Plasma/widescreen CRT
    SKY to Cinema system = stereo phono cable (audio only) from SKY box phono outs to Audio L&R (line 2 as all the other inputs share line 1 and are adjusted in the menu so for the XBOX connection you need optical) on cinema system http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH001.html
    SKY (TV Scart out) to TV = Scart make sure the picture settings in the SKY box are 16:9 not 4:3 and RGB not PAL connect to a RGB enabled Scart socket on the TV.
    Cinema system to TV = Scart make sure the picture settings in the cinema system are 16:9 not 4:3 (see page 20 of manual) and RGB not composite connect to a RGB enabled Scart socket on the TV.

P.S. if you have a LCD/Plasma and the XBOX is connected by VGA or HDMI then connect your Cinema system by Component and set progressive scan on for a better picture. http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/CP001.html and after doing so discard the Scart cable from Cinema system to TV.

7. @ndr3w

@ndr3w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Andy,

Thanks very much for your help. I will give it a go tonight and let you know how i get on.

Thanks

Andrew

8. @ndr3w

@ndr3w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Andy,

Went with your suggested setup and is all working fine now. Bit of a pain having to explain to kids to select AV2 on the TV so they can watch their DVD's but hey, they cant have it all!!

Thanks very much for your help.

Andrew