1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please with RGB throughput

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by docnaz, Oct 2, 2005.

1. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help me please,

I have a scart from Sky box to DVR and then scart from DVR to AV3 on Panasonic 42PE50. ANother scart from SKy direct to AV1.

When the DVR is switched off, the Panny tells me I am watching AV3/RGB. As soon as the DVR is powered up, the logo defaults to AV3 and the PQ drops. When I go to disc navigator on the hard drive, it tells me I am back to AV3/RGB.

AV1 (direct from Sky) informs that it is just AV1.

On the TV, the colour bars at the bottoom display as, for example, AV3/S.

Can't seem to sort this. Would this happen if the scarts were not fully wired ones? Any other ideas/ solutions most welcome.

Many thanks in eager anticipation.

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    You don't need the second scart from the Sky box. Just daisy chain the Sky box to the recorder, then from the recorder out to AV1 on the TV. AV1 usually being RGB, though AV2 may be as well. AV3, however, is most likely S-Video or composite only.

When daisychained like this the Sky box will pass straight through the recorder and on to the TV in RGB. This will also allow you to record whatever's coming from the Sky box in RGB too. When the recorder's switched to 'play' then that will take over (even if the Sky box is on - it will simply ignore it) and now the recorder's output will go to the TV in RGB. The moment you stop 'play' the Sky box will take over again, assuming it's on, of course, and the recorder's set to the scart in port. If it's on another input, or its own tuner then that's what will show instead, so it's best to leave it on the AV in scart that the Sky box is connected to.

There are a few other wrinkles. Some recorders allow you to set in their menu whether they will allow pass through or not, so check that (why you'd have it switched off I don't know, but they offer it all the same). And some recorders also have a switch where by it will ignore whatever AV inputs it normally recieves stuff over (or its own internal tuner), and instead use its AV out (which can be switched into two-way mode) in order to record direct from the TV's tuner. Often the switch is labeled 'Direct' or somesuch. So make sure that's not enabled as it will throw a spanner in the works too.

Regards

Mark

3. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark
    just got in and will reconfigure after lunch and post progress. Tx again.

4. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done as Mark suggested. Situation now is Sky --> dvr 720HS --> PE50. The dvr settings (in inital setup) are set to RGB in and RGB out. When the DVR is switched off, the signal is a crisp RGB signal from Sky throught the (switched off) DVR. With the DVR switched on, the signal quality drops and the PE50 tells me that I am on AV3 only ie no RGB (? ordinary video mode). The final twist is that when I play fom the DVR hard drive, it appears to be outputting in RGB.

Any further help much appreciated.

Thanks

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Press the TV/DVD button on the remote so it is in DVD mode.

In TV mode the Pioneers always output composite so they can do direct record using bi-directional facility of scart cables (assuming the TV is sending a composite signal to the recorder)..

When the 720 is off you get RGB through all the time because the scarts are connected straight through, without the 720 circuits in operation

I expect othe makes with Direct Record are similar.

6. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Eddyad, BIG UPS and big thank you for that. Perfect. Thought I would never find asnwer. Thanks again.
    Docnaz