1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please with progressive scan. Thanks

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NinjaKi11a, Sep 7, 2003.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a CRT and a DVD player but I'm getting confused.

The Pioneer DVD 565-A has gotten great reviews even though it doesn't have PAL Progressive. The same applies to the Toshiba 32ZD36P.

From what I have read, Progressive scan looks like it will be a must in the coming months, so why do these score so highly? Or have I over-estimated the impact of prog scan, especially on a CRT?

I also read that to watch progressive scan, you only need a compatible DVD player... so why the fuss about TVs? Or have I gotten confused?

At the moment I'm thinking of opting for the Harman Kardon DVD 25...

Help would be much appreciated!

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Moving to prog scan forum. :)

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

For progressive scan, you need a compatible player AND display. There aren't many PAL PS capable CRT sets around at the moment, only the Toshiba ZP38 and Panasonic PD30 ranges, I think. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah great, that clears things up abit. The Panasonic TX-32PH40 is PAL and NTSC prog scan, though I've heard mixed reviews about it. What HiFi rated it whereas on-line reviews were more critical.

Would you say that prog scan is a must for a future-proof system?

Cheers

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

I would certainly say it is a desirable feature and it is sure to become more common on new equipment from other manufacturers.

Steve

6. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, right now Prog Scan IS a desirable feature. Like Dutch has said that it's going to be more common on equipment from other manafacturers.

I hope I'm not being too gallous when I say that it might eventually become a feature that has filtered through the ranges of equipment from various manafacturers, low end to high end.

7. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm so it's definately the Harman Kardon over the Pioneer because of the PAL progressive. What about DVD-A and SACD? Are they two competeing formats? I'm inclined to forget about them as I've got spent good money on a CD player rather than listen to audio through a DVD player... ?

Could anyone recomend a suitable 32inch CRT please. I've been looking at the PANASONIC TX 32PH40, but have recently been put off by some reviews. Are there any alternatives with both types of progressive?

Thanks v much for all your help!

8. Foot&Mouth

Foot&Mouth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont take too much notice over reviews, get out there and look at them for yourself.
    i dont know anything about progressive crt displays.
    the Yamaha S540 supports Pal Progressive, has component out and gives off a fair picture for £150. just remember interlaced signals are not going anywhere fast, we still have no fully confirmed date that the anologue broadcast for tele is going to cut. also think about all those devices which have scarts and cant support prog scan.