1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please with Plasma choice!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cazlol, Apr 17, 2005.

1. cazlol

cazlol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I have been browsing these forums for some time, trying to pick up lots of useful info but here's where I'm stuck . . . .
    I am looking to buy a 42" plasma, the main choice that leaps out is the Pioneer 43XDE but I am concerned that when Sky launch their HD service only having one input will mean that I cannot run both DVD and HD Sky through the HDMI connection. Will this be the case? I have been told many things, including that there will be a 2 into 1 adaptor, only to go into another shop and be told that the only way to run both off the Pioneer would be to get a scaler and spend ££££££!!!
    Which of these is true? Also, how do you find the normal sky picture through this set?
    My second Plasma option is the new Hitachi, which wasn't in the equation for me till I saw the 32" in my local retailer. I think it is their new picture magic range, the code ended in 7500, it's the one with the motorized stand - v. cool! I am now seriously contemplating this as the specs are very good - 1024 x 1024,HDMI AND DVI, component, 3 scarts etc. This set is also cheaper than the Pioneer too!
    Please help, as we are worried about making a mistake and buying something which looks good now but will not be viable longterm - any other plasma suggestions gratefully received, I am pretty new to all this and the husband leaves it all to me as I am the technological one!
    Thanks
    Caroline :)

2. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Dunno how reasonable this will sound to you, but after wondering and worrying about HD for some time, I eventually decided to go for a 37" SD Panny PW7 now, whilst there are still a few available around the £1k mark (AV-Sales, Richer etc.), then wait for the HD debate to settle, kit to become available at a reasonable price etc. (estimate 18 months - 3 years) then relegate the 37" to the bedroom and buy big!

This will also allow time for the Plasma/LCD debate to reach a definitive position.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Caroline,

There are very few HD ready plasmas available at the moment, including the Pioneer XDE models and Hitachi's new PD7200. Panasonic's new HD ready PV500 range is out in the next few months. Regarding the limitation of only one HDMI connector, 2 in or 4 in switchers are available from companies such as Gefen. Personally, I'm not a fan of the ALIS screens used by Hitachi, but many people like them of course. The choice is yours. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not just Hitachi - Philips, Fujitsu and Sony use them too. You are right, lots of people like them, and I'm one of them. I'm always suspicious when people say they don't like something, and don't give a reason.

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick is right
    see this link as to how i would choose a plasma

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1613065&postcount=17

6. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Caroline.
    In my opinion the most important consideration is get a plasma which gives the best picture from the source you most commonly watch

By that I mean if you watch- say Sky TV you will want one that gives the best picture from this source. Same with Freeview.

Some Plasmas are great on high quality sources - like a test disk, but fall down on bog standard TV like Eastenders!

All the manufacturers have clever technology to make a standard TV picture look good on a 42inch - ie Wega , pixel plus etc etc. You will have to decide on which is best for you by viewing.

If the Hitachi looked great it probably will do the business!

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff on the link i do mention watching standard tv as well. Not just test discs .I agree with Cliff test Sky and freeview if thats what you watch TV via .It's a bit more difficult if you watch tv via cable as few retailers have cable.

8. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I have the 435XDE and am very happy with it.
    When Sky release their HD TV service I will get the Gefen ex-tend-it 2x1 HDTV switch box to connect the Sky box and my HDMI DVD player. It is available for about £200 from:

http://www.digi-box.co.uk/Products.aspx?productid=316

Regards,

Mike