Help please with ohms

geedawg2608

Hi could someone please tell me if I have speakers that are 8 ohms and going to buy a yamaha that powers 6 ohms is that okay ?? Specs below. Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 16391696445153644592764508059086.jpg
    16391696445153644592764508059086.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 18
  • 16391696814642877653992525383690.jpg
    16391696814642877653992525383690.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 20

Mr Wolf

That’s fine as the speakers have a higher impedance rating (i.e. ohms) than the amp. Ideally all speakers will have a higher nominal impedance rating that the amplifier is rated for, especially if you’re pushing it to very loud levels. Lower impedance speakers draw more current (amps) which can overload the amp’s power supply.

geedawg2608

That’s fine as the speakers have a higher impedance rating (i.e. ohms) than the amp. Ideally all speakers will have a higher nominal impedance rating that the amplifier is rated for, especially if you’re pushing it to very loud levels. Lower impedance speakers draw more current (amps) which can overload the amp’s power supply.
Thanks for the reply that's great to know . Really just getting into this surround sound

password1

Distinguished Member
They'll be fine.

What's more important is the minimum ohm the avr is rated and the minimum the speakers will drop to as resistance varies depending on the frequency.

geedawg2608

They'll be fine.

What's more important is the minimum ohm the avr is rated and the minimum the speakers will drop to as resistance varies depending on the frequency.
I have another problem it's all working however when I did the yapo auto setup it does not pick up my sub as its the technics set up the sub is just passive wired from av reciver to the front speakers . Is there a way for the av receiver to pick the sub up as it properly is not configured correctly. Many thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
If you are not using the sub output from the AVR, then your front speakers should just be set to Large. Your AVR cannot find a sub that is not attached to the sub output and will just include it in the measurements for the front speakers.

I am assuming the sub is passive? Your fix will be to buy an active sub and run it from the sub output. What are your current speakers?

geedawg2608

If you are not using the sub output from the AVR, then your front speakers should just be set to Large. Your AVR cannot find a sub that is not attached to the sub output and will just include it in the measurements for the front speakers.

I am assuming the sub is passive? Your fix will be to buy an active sub and run it from the sub output. What are your current speakers?
I have the technics sbv500 and sbs 500 and sbc500 and the technics passive sub

lynx

Senior Moderator
I'd stop using the sub as if its wired into the front pair you risk the ohmic load being too low for your receiver.
Pick up an active sub when you can.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Agreed, grab yourself a powered sub to lighten the load on the AVR.

Although connecting the sub won't necessarily lower the overall impedance of the system - unless the frequency overlap between components is quite large, you are demanding more current at low frequencies, which will make the amp work harder.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom