Help please with new LCD TV and HCPC

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by DaveP, Mar 25, 2006.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using my HCPC with a vga/scart lead attached to my 36" CRT and I've had no problems playing back USA TV programs or anything else.

Yesterday I took delivery of a new Toshiba 42WLT58 LCD TV.

I have disabled powerstrip and I've un-installed the ATI drivers for my 9800Pro.

I've now installed the latest drivers and configured for a 1360x768 (nearly 1:1) @ 60Hz.

When I view R2 DVDs or TV via the DVB-T card I get no problems. However when I play back the xvid AVI files I get stuttering on pans. This happens in MCE and when playing through a standalone player (BSPlayer).

Now, I have done a search for this, and I think I've just about tried everything but without success.

I tried changing the refresh rate to 75 but that chopped about 5cm off the right hand side and showed a black bar. I've gone back to 60Hz for now so I get a full screen.

Should I try ps again and try 50Hz? If so, can someone give me the ps settings please? I have a great deal of difficulty understanding the ps settings!

Thanks for any help

Dave

EDIT: I'm now running at 1368x768 as it's closer to the native res of 1366x768

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two days, 38 views and no suggestions!

This means that either:

a) I have been sent to Coventry!
    b) No-one else has connected their PC to an LCD panel running at 1368x768, or if they have, they don't view AVI files or R1 DVDs.
    c) Everyone thinks the answer is obvious but that I am too lazy to search:(

So, to put the question another way: If you are running your LCD panel via VGA at a resolution of 1360 or 1368x768 and using Powerstrip, please copy the ps settings and paste them here. If you are not using ps, then please suggest what refresh rate I should be using to work with PAL and NTSC.

Alternatively, make me feel inadequate, and post a link to the thread that has the solution!

Thanks

Dave

3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    d) People are useing an LCD Panel 1368x768 and are watching AVI / Divx / Xvid Files but are not getting the same problem.

I just use one of the listed resolutions within powerstrip, it is specifically for LCD panels.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, but what refresh rate does it use. I've tried this at 60Hz and I think the only other option was 46Hz, which I haven't tried.

As you have been good enough to respond (much appreciated!) perhaps I could trouble you more and ask you to copy the ps settings to the clip board and then paste here? (presumably you are familiar with the process?)

Thanks

Dave

5. GingerTez

GingerTez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a problem where R1 DVDs stuttered and R2 DVDs didn't. No idea if it has a bearing on your problem but what I had to do was tell my system not to display full screen video on all output devices because it was trying to output to my TV via HDMI and via S-Video. When I told it to only use HDMI it worked fine.

I guess I could have done a bit of deeper digging to resolve it properly but as I never had a cause to view my MCE on S-Video I've just disabled it completely.

Cheers,
    Tez.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but I'm only connecting via VGA, with nothing else connected to the card.

7. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    That might be the difference between us I'm connecting via DVI

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Sharp 32" LCD with 1368x768 res and I don't get stutter. I've got an Asus mobo with the Nvidia 6150 chipset and use Purevideo. Not sure whether you can use Purevideo, but have a look.

Richie.