Help please with HDMI lead connection to Sony LCD TV

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by carrieanne, Feb 10, 2009.

1. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm back again with another query!

As mentioned in my last post, I know nothing whatsoever about connecting TV's etc. so please can you spell out any advice clearly as I don't understand technical terms. :rolleyes:

I have two queries (please excuse the length!):

1. I have ordered my HDMI leads following Jamie S's helpful advice so am now awaiting delivery. My Sony LCD tv has been sitting in its box for two weeks as I have been waiting for a stand to arrive (which came yesterday). But when the HDMI leads arrive, I am wondering - after looking in the instruction manual that came with the TV - just how I am going to get on with connecting the TV>V+ Box>DVD Recorder.

I thought it would be a simple job of connecting one end of the HDMI lead to the relevant HDMI socket in the TV. But no, according to the Sony instruction manual, it has paragraphs about HDMI which includes the following:

HDMI Setup: This is used to set the Control for HDMI compatible equipement connected to the HDMI sockets. Note that the interlocak setting must also be made on the connected "Control for HDMI" compatible equipment side. :eek:

Control for HDMI: This sets whether to interlock the "Control for HDMI" compatible equipment and the TV. :eek: When set to "On" the following menu items can be performed. However, power consumption in standby mode is higher than usual.

It then goes on to mention "Auto Devices Off" "Auto TV On" "Device List Update" "HDMI Device List"

None of this makes any sense whatsoever to me! I haven't a clue what it means and I'm beginning to get worried now as I can't see me being able to set up the TV. According to Amazon (where I bought the TV from) people were saying it was a case of 'plug in and go!'

Obviously it's the HDMI that's going to be the problem for me, as I had never even heard of them until I bought the TV.

Please can someone explain the above for me so that I can actually take the TV out of the box and get going once the HDMI leads arrive. :lease:

My second query is:

In the instruction manual, it shows how to prevent the TV from toppling over by using a wood screw to attach to the stand and a machine screw to attach to the TV, then linking the two together with strong cord to kind of attach it to the stand it will be sitting on (not the stand that comes with the TV). But my stand is all metal. Does it have to be screwed on and if so, how the heck do I do this? I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought the TV now. :(

Many thanks in advance and apologies again for this long post.

Carrie

2. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. Does the back of the V+ box and the DVD Recorder actually have a HDMI port (or whatever it is called?) for the HDMI cables?

Carrie :)

3. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    In the patronising words of Michael Winner... "Calm down dear!"

Don't panic.

HDMI is plug and go in all intents and purposes.

You should simply plug the Virgin V+ box into HDMI input 1 on the TV and the DVD recorded into HDMI 2.

Simple as that.

It should all work fine without the need to change any complicated settings or anything like that.

As for your stand situation, the weight of the TV should keep it in place on the stand. Unless you have kids running around charging into the TV it should not fall off.

4. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    The Virgin V+ box certainly has.

What is the DVD recorder model number?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Hello carrieanne

The V+ box outputs SD (standard definition) and HD (high definition) video (with audio) on HDMI.

Some DVD Recorder's also Output video (+ audio) signals via HDMI but use old fashioned SCART for recording - which means you may find some content available to view via HDMI cannot be recorded via SCART!

What Recorder do you own?

So the V+ connects to the TV via HDMI

The V+ connects to the Recorder via SCART.

The Recorder (assuming it has HDMI Out) connects to the TV on the second HDMI cable.

HDMI devices have the ability to utilise a communication channel called CEC to supposedly simplify operation of your system.

Where you have a mix of brands CEC tends to currently fall to bits so I wouldn't worry overly about it for now - you may find the best thing is to simply switch off/disable those features in the TV's User Menu.

The legal dept of any big TV manufacturer will insist the lines about tethering your TV are included in the User Guide - in practice you have to try quite hard to topple a non tethered TV.

If you have boisterous kids, big pets or live in an earthquake zone it probably is worth taking a few extra precautions in terms of how/where you place the TV but generally tethering is not required.

Joe

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Carrieanne your about i think to have issues I think when you use HDMI from V+ you loose the analogue outputs so you want to consider not conecting the V+ to the DVD-R you can try it but it may cause some horrible issues if you were watching V+ and DVDR is on

7. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I can just leave you the DVD Recorder Model No. as I'm on my way out and I'll then reply to the other posts tomorrow. :)

It's a Pansasonic DMR-E55EB. I can't see a HDMI outlet in the instruction leaflet. :(

Many thanks for all your help by the way, this is a great forum!

Carrie

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    DMR-55 doesnt have HDMI so conenct to TV with Scart

9. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a HDMI socket on the DVD Recorder. :(

So I now have to send one of the HDMI cables back.

Carrie

10. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    No problem, email me at [email protected] and I will send you a pre-paid returns label.

11. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Joe,

Now that I don't have a HDMI socket on my DVD Recorder, does this mean that I still do the first two things above but for the DVD Recorder, connect it to the TV via a Scart lead now? And is that all I need to do to connect everything?

Does it matter, by the way, which Scart inputs are used when connecting devices?

Many thanks,

Carrie

12. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    To confirm:

The V+ box will connect to the TV via 1x HDMI cable.

The V+ will also connect to the Scart input on the DVD Recorder via 1x Scart Lead.

The DVD Recorded will connect to the TV from it's Scart output via 1x Scart lead.

In total you will require 2x scart leads and 1x HDMI cable.

13. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am even more confused now that Horny Dragon has said not to connect the V+ to the DVD Recorder. :(

I think I am back to square one with the connections. If I don't connect the V+ to the DVD Recorder, where do I connect it (and all the other cables?)

Many thanks again,

Carrie

14. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    1. Connect V+ box to TV via scart (av1)
    2. Connect V+ hdmi cable to TV as well (hdmi1)
    3. Switch on TV & V+
    4. Set tv output to av1 and go to display settings on V+
    5. Change V+ to output to hdmi, save settings
    6. Check v+ displays on TV on the hdmi1 output
    7. Remove scart cable if you want
    8. Connect DVDR scart to TV av1 or av2 if you left the V+ scart cable connected.

That gives you best pictures from V+ to the TV, you can also watch DVDs.

If you want to be able to save programs from the V+ box to the DVDr then you'll need to connect another scart from the V+ to the DVDR. You can do that later- we'll help you with that too.:)

That's the basic setup for now.

15. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou Stevie, I will make a note of that, although I have had about 3 different suggestions of setting everything up, so I can see myself getting in a right pickle at the weekend when I try it. :eek:

How is sunny Stevenage? You are only 20 minutes down the road from me and my main source of shopping (well, for clothes anyway)!

Carrie

16. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Snowy Stevenage is perhaps more apt ;)

The differing setups were based on the DVDR having a HDMI connection and the option you have to record from the V+ to the DVDR.

Have only recently setup my V+ and have Sony gear as well so I know the issues you are having only too well.

The major pain you will have is changing the V+ output from the default scart to the better HDMI.

BTW do you want the option to save programs off od the V+ to your DVDR?

Steve

17. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, it wasn't snowing when I wrote that! :eek: It's pretty covered here at the moment.

Ah, great to know I'll have a pain changing the V+ output from Scart to HDMI Steve. What kind of problem will I have and how do I get round it? There's no way I'm ringing Virgin just to get a call centre. :(

I would like the option of saving programmes off V+ to the DVDR if possible but it's not essential. If it means it'll be simpler not to have that then I'll take that option!

18. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Snow is clearing fast so not as bad as it first seemed, even managed to get to work on time.

The V+ box setting is not too bad, I'll note the actual steps and button presses for you when I'm in front of the box tonight.

Recording from V+ to DVDR just means you need a scart cable between them, it's controlled from the V+. I'll see if it's in the booklet I got in the post from Virgin.

Steve

19. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great Steve, thankyou very much, I look forward to receiving them. I'm going to (try and) set up the TV over the weekend, so appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks again,

Carrie

20. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    You can view the V+ manual here http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/pdf/V+Manual.pdf

I checked it shows how to setup using the scart and then the hdmi cables. It also details the connection for transferring to the dvdr, and more importantly what all the buttons on the remote do.:)

Steve

21. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for posting that Steve, I will have a look through to familiarise myself (she says hopefully!)

I think I had also better print these replies out before I try connecting the TV to the V+ box and the DVD Recorder!

I don't mean to sound defeatist, but I bet I have to come on here over the weekend and say 'help!' :D

Carrie

22. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    the thing to remember is to connect up things one at a time.

don't connect up everything, switch it all on, and then wonder why it doesn't work and start swapping leads until you get lost.

just start with the v box and and hdmi connection to the tv, and make sure that is working.

then connect the dvd via scart to the tv, check that is ok

then finally, connect the v box to the dvd via scart and check that out.

23. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Well, I'm part way there, but not completely! I have a few queries that I'd be grateful if you could possibly answer?

I forgot and only put the Scart lead in between the TV and the V+ box at first (should have remembered what you said!) so although I was able to choose a Virgin Media programme, as soon as I turned off the TV the programme had gone and also the V+ remote wouldn't work properly.

So after coming back here and re-reading your post again Stevie, I put the HDMI cable in as well and now, after changing the settings on the V+ box, I can see programmes ok. But......

** On the V+ Settings (Widescreen etc.) it has the option to choose between HDMI and also another HDMI (which I've forgotten and I'm upstairs at the moment). I've chosen the first one. Is that OK? I will check exactly what it says later tonight and then come back and post if that will help?

** In the bit below that, where you choose between RGB and Composite, which one do I go for? the picture shows in the top right corner with both of them.

** When I first put the TV on (when I haven't turned on V+) it says on the screen: TV has not stored programmes.

Yet, as I say, when I turn the TV off and then on again now, the programmes are still there so surely they must be stored?

** In view of the above message, when I try to do an Auto Search for digital channels, it says No Channels Can Be Found. Why is this and what do I do about it please?

** I went to the section where you can choose to watch HD programmes and I clicked on one to view it, but it won't let me. The box comes up to tell me the programme is in HD, so I click on OK and it just goes back to the TV programmes.

I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions. I haven't set up the DVD Recorder yet, I thought I would just get the TV up and running first!

Phew! I actually asked in my local electronics shop how much they charge in case I can't do it myself and they charge £65!! So that's out of the question and I really need to complete this myself.

I really appreciate all your help in this, thankyou very much. :)

Carrie

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  24. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stevie,

What did you mean by this one please?

6. Check v+ displays on TV on the hdmi1 output

Many thanks,

25. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    OK a couple of things:

1. The channels not saved messages are to do with the TV. When you set your TV up you need to search & store the digital (freeview) and analogue channels. This in nothing to do with Virgin Media. Have you connected an external aerial and run the setup for digital? You don't have to to view V+ but you'll get the annoying messages.

2. The HDMI setting should be HiDef HDMI, if you cannot view a HD program I don't think you've saved this setting. If this is set the next item is whether you have a 720/1080 setting. You need to make the changes, press the OK button and if the screen is still displaying a picture press the text button.

3. I mentioned testing the display (my earlier item 6) so you can make sure you are using the hdmi setting. Ther must be an option on your tv remote to switch beteen hdmi & av inputs, find that in your manual. When you can see the V+ picture on the hdmi input you know you've done it and can then view a HD program (Virgin channel 108 BBC HD is quick way to test this)

Steve

26. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

You have a lot of patience with me, thankyou, I really appreciate all your help. :)

1. Hmm, that's confused me now! When I choose 'Cable' and try to tune the TV for Cable connection, it asks me if I want a Quick Scan or a Full Scan. I've tried both and no digital channels are found and it says to check the aerieal/cable connections (although I've been watching the channels! So how is that?) Does it mean it is searching for Freeview channels and can't find any because I don't have an aerial (I don't need Freeview anyway). I only have Virgin's cable lead which comes in from outside.

I don't have an external aerial as I say, but have tried to run the set up for digital. It doesn't recognise anything. :(

Then when I click on HDMI Devices it doesn't even recognise that I have HDMI connected. I've also noticed that since yesterday, when I change channels, the display at the top no longer says HDMI, it says Cable and then 720p/50.

2. I can now see programmes in Hi Def (including Catchup) but to be honest they don't look any better than ordinary programmes. I wouldn't know that I was viewing a Hi Def picture. However, I have a problem if I remove the Scart lead that comes from the TV into the V+ box. It seems to want that as well as the HDMI lead. Is that usual? Only someone said - it may have been your good self - that I could remove the Scart lead once I had changed over the V+ settings to HDMI.

3. The option on my TV remote is for either Digital or Analogue and I set it for Digital right at the beginning.

When I go to Settings now, it says HDMI and 720p. I can watch Virgin channel 108 in Hi Def.

I didn't therefore have to do Auto Tune, yet I understood it would go through all the channels and store them? Or is this just Freeview they're talking about? If so, I wish there wasn't Freeview on there as it's confusing the life out of me!

I'm also a bit disappointed with the quality of the picture on some channels. Sometimes the picture is very good, but other times it's no better than my previous widescreen TV, which makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong. :(

Many, many thanks again for all your help.

Carrie

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  27. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    No problem, though it's hard to do remotely so you must be getting a little fed up by now.

I'm not sure whether the channel scan will work with Virgin connection, their aerial only has a few channels and I'm not sure if it carries the freeview ones.

Most tv's will let you select the inputs and even rename them. The 720p/50 is the settings on the hdmi channel I believe, and as you mention below you can see BBC HD your almost there.

I don't have the scart connected at all to my V+ and it was me who said you could leave it off. If you disconnect it from the V+ and still get a picture you MUST be using hdmi:)

Your tv allows for analog and digital through an aerial (which you don't have) and other equipment via scart or hdmi. Hence the need to be able to select the inputs without having to think being suggested earlier.

You could try setting the V+ display option to 1080 widescreen to see if that makes a difference.

The newer programs on BBC should look better, but some older programs are pants on any setup.:(

I don't know the tv you have so can't make any suggestions on how to tweak it to get a better picture.

Anyway

Good luck with the settings. If you get a V+ picture with just the hdmi lead then I'd suggest connecting your DVDR up with the Scart lead next.

Steve

28. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

Well, the TV seems to be working ok so the connections must be correct (thanks to you!) I tried the setting for 1080 but the picture wasn't as good so I've gone back to 720p. I have connected the DVD Recorder with the SCART lead but haven't tried playing a DVD yet or recording to it.

However, I have a problem withh the size of the picture on some channels - which is weird as it's not all of them.

For instance, the picture on channels Anglia, Channel 4, BBC and Channel 5 fit the screen fine, but when I turn over to the music channels the picture has a wide band each side, therefore it doesn't begin to fill the screen.

The stranger thing about this is that if I go to Channel 740 which is shopping channel QVC, the picture fills the screen, but when I turn over to another shopping channel - Ideal World on 747 - the picture doesn't.

And as I say, all the music channels are the wrong size too. I haven't flicked through all the channels so I couldn't say exactly which are wrong and which are correct.

What I have noticed is that I can't now change the TV settings. It says 'Wide' at the bottom of each channel (even the ones where the picture is too small) and I can't change it to SMART to see if it cures the problem.

I have changed settings in the Settings menu to see if I can change the format, but still when I press the required button on the remote to change the Screen size it says the function isn' available!

I did at one point have the picture fill the screen on channels like Ideal World (747) and can only assume that there's a problem because of not being able to go back to SMART but how the heck do I do it?

The TV is the Sony KDL-37V4000.

It's really disappointing as it seems to be the only thing that's wrong and I haven't a clue how to fix it. :(

By the way, I took out the SCART leads and the TV is working on the HDMI leads.

If I remember rightly, at one point the display that appears at the top left of the screen used to say HDMI briefly and I think when it used too say this the picture may have been the correct size on all the channels. Now it says 'Cable' for a few seconds. Could this be the problem? If so, how do I correct it please?

Many thanks Steve - again!

29. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    OK I think you need to check what the V+ setting is on. There are more options than just 720 or 1080, there is a widescreen setting for each of these.

So you should have 720, 720 wide, 1080 & 1080 wide.

Some folk prefer 720 settings even with a full 1080p tv so no problem leaving 720 but if you have just 720 try 720 wide as well.

I tend to leave my tv set to wide which covers most channels OK.

Steve

30. carrieanne

carrieanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are an absolute genius and a star! :clap:

I've now changed the setting to 720 wide (I didn't even notice that setting until you pointed it out).

The picture fills the screen on all channels now! Woohoo!

I have just two more little queries: Why is it not possible for me to choose the option of SMART now? I don't want to change it from Wide to SMART at the moment as the picture seems fine now, but I just wondered why, in case I wanted to change it in the future?

And whereabouts is the Serial No. for the TV usually? I need to register it but can't find it on the back where I thought it should be.

Thankyou so much Steve. :)

Carrie