1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please with Dinalight Dimmer wiring

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by safin, Apr 23, 2005.

1. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I recently bought a (UK Version) Dinalight dimmer for use with my Bang and Olufsen Beo4 remote control but I am unsure about the wiring so I hope someone can help me please.
    Inside my existing switch there are 3 wires which are blue,red and yellow. The blue and yellow also have a red sleeve over them.There is, of course, the earth as well.
    However, inside the dinalight there are 4 connections marked X1,X2,X3 and X4. The manual only mentions connecting a blue wire and a brown(?) wire.
    Could someone please explain which wires connect where and if anyone has any expreiences (good or bad) with these dimmers please let me know also.
    My lights are 2 way; 1 swithch on the dimmer the other just on/off.
    Many thanks in advance.
    S.

2. Clive Bird

Clive Bird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Iam not an expert on the dinalight dimmer, but the one's I have seen are only suitable for one way switching. The four connection are neutral in (blue wire from mains) Live in (Brown wire from mains) neutral out (blue wire to light) & live out (brown wire to light).

The three wires in your switch are for two way switching (switch wire & strappers), if you take off the switch or dimmer at the other end you will find that it has an additional two wires connected to L1 and L2.

I don't think your dimmer is suitable. :oops:

You could proberbly use the dimmer if you made the circuit one way switching from the end with the five wires, but you would only be able to switch it form one position.

Hope this helps

Clive

3. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clive.
    Thanks for your reply.Sorry not replied earlier,been away for a while.
    Since the original posting I have been in contact with both the supplier and the manufacturer about this. What a can of worms!! The supplier (www.artix.com) just recomment following the instructions but having contacted the manufacturer ( www.JO-EL.com) they inform me that this dimmer should not have been even available to this country and didnt know it was being supplied by this outlet,and using their (JOEL'S) name on it!! To be fair the people at JOEL have been very helpful and as i speak I am supposed to be getting a phone call from their head office in demark on Monday to either help me with the wiring or,I guess(hope) offer me a refund. There was no mention on the original advert that it was only suitable for 1 way lighting and no mention of it in the instructions. The reason I bought this was simply because it was compatible with my B&O remote and alot cheaper than the B&O light dimmer. Maybe now this was not such a good move and I should have stuck with the B&O. :mad:

4. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE.....
    Have given up trying to wire it into the main lighting in my lounge having contacted both supplier and manufacturer and got nowhere! Instead have wired it into 2 sidelights that I actually use alot more than the main lights anyway . This was very easy to do. Live and neutral in, the same out. Simple and works a treat with my Beo4 remote.There are 9 different lighting presets on the remote or use the up/down button.Great!
    Anyone else thinking of getting this dimmer please note it does NOT seem to work with 2 way switching in the UK.
    Having thought of a different solution to the problem I am now very happy. :thumbsup:
    Thanks.
    S.