• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help Please with buying a 3D TV

chips229

Standard Member
Hi,

Ive got a budget of £650 and I am looking at buying a 3D TV.

I had a look around the TVs in currys a few weeks back and liked the look of the LG 47LA660V Im no expert but the 3D demo it was showing really impressed us.It had a fancy clever remote and the sales guy was saying it was 400 Hz and the glasses are cheap being passive 3D.

Well shopping tonight the superstore have a Samsung UE46F6320 with a Samsung HW-H355 120W Soundbar included with the sale and a 5 year warranty if ive read it right.This one is the active 3D so I will have to buy extra glasses which I dont think will be cheap.

Any thoughts please,Id be happy with a smaller screen say 40" if theres better for the money.
Im not worried to much about the smart bit of the TV functions,just best picture for use using blueray on PS3 or DVD.
Out of the 2 ive mentioned which one would be better?

Cheers.

Chipps.

vickster

Distinguished Member

chips229

Standard Member
The superstore was Tesco they,for a limited time are doing 5 year warranty on some of the Tvs the Samsung UE46F6320 being one of them.

As to the TV size 40" or 47" is big enough for what we want.
So both the TVs in my 1st post are good TVs,but Id be better off buying the one with 5 year warranty and free soundbar?

megadeth uk

The superstore was Tesco they,for a limited time are doing 5 year warranty on some of the Tvs the Samsung UE46F6320 being one of them.

As to the TV size 40" or 47" is big enough for what we want.
So both the TVs in my 1st post are good TVs,but Id be better off buying the one with 5 year warranty and free soundbar?
The sony kdl42w829 is available at tesco/currys/ John Lewis and richer sounds, it is a passive 3d tv but not using an lg ips panel so the black levels are very good. It is a great tv for gaming, movies and 3d and has handled everything I've thrown at it. There is a free soundbar offer with the tv at the moment until the 13th of July and also you can enter a free competition to win a ps4 with a 1 in 5 chance. One guy on the w7/w8 thread has already won one. There is also the cash for goals offer on at currys which could pay dividends, whether you want to buy from currys is a different matter. There has been some issues with the 6 series Samsungs from 2013 so I suggest you read the related threads before making a decision. Have a look at the w7/w8 thread and see how happy the guys are who purchased the 42w829, it's different to the 50 as that is active.
Sony 2014 W7 / W8 (1080p Edge LED TV) Owner's Thread
BRAVIA FIFA® TV Promotion | Sony
It's been reduced to 599.99 on tesco direct and richer sounds today, still with the free soundbar.

Buy Sony KDL42W829BBU 42 Inch Smart Full HD 1080p LED TV With Freeview HD - from our 3D TVs range - Tesco.com

Sony BRAVIA KDL42W829 & HTCT60BT | 42 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Last edited:

chips229

Standard Member
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
Tbh I was in two minds about buying another Samsung after all the trouble I had with my current Samsung LE 40M87BD.After Samsung repaired it for free (Thanks AV forums google search found you and the trouble some thread many years ago)
I read parts of your thread about the Sony TV you linked above.
Looks like Im looking at the Sony or the LG lol.
Think I will have to go down the shop and see if I can see both working.

Any more thoughts or options between these two TVs,are they both great TVs?

Sony kdl42w829 and the LG 47LA660V

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sony purely on brand and the fact you don't have to buy in Currys and can get an extended warranty

megadeth uk

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
Tbh I was in two minds about buying another Samsung after all the trouble I had with my current Samsung LE 40M87BD.After Samsung repaired it for free (Thanks AV forums google search found you and the trouble some thread many years ago)
I read parts of your thread about the Sony TV you linked above.
Looks like Im looking at the Sony or the LG lol.
Think I will have to go down the shop and see if I can see both working.

Any more thoughts or options between these two TVs,are they both great TVs?

Sony kdl42w829 and the LG 47LA660V
You won't get the black levels from the lg despite them both being passive, the lg is using an ips panel which has poorer blacks but better viewing angles, the sony is using a va panel with a passive layer, good blacks but viewing angles not as good. If you watch a lot of tv in the evening, widescreen movies the black level will make a difference. I would go to a shop and have a nose, play around with the remotes and turn off the shop vivid modes in the pictures settings,lol. I have the sony so I'm biased but I did look at an awful lot of tv's, including lg and samsung, a lot of the lg's had uniformity issues, mainly DSE but was quite noticeable instore, even on the more expensive models, the worst seemed to be the la620. You need to look at what you need the tv to do, gaming ? Blu ray ? Smart features ? Media player ? The sony's have really low input lag. I can't find the figures for the 660 but it will be higher, no manufacturer has been able to get the kind of figures sony has the last couple of years.

chips229

Standard Member
Hi,
Thanks again for the quick replies.
Its looking more and more towards the Sony.
I was still holding on to the LG because we saw it running in the store and it was all most love at first sight lol.Must go and have a look at the Sony in action tomorrow.

chips229

Standard Member
Maybe I should ask this question in another section,just after user feedback.

How much or often do people use the 2D to 3D Conversion option on there TVs?

megadeth uk

Maybe I should ask this question in another section,just after user feedback.

How much or often do people use the 2D to 3D Conversion option on there TVs?
I don't use it, the 50 inch sony has it but that's active, the 42 inch doesn't and that's passive. If I need the conversion my blu ray player does it but I often find that conversion looks poor on any set up. I do use the 3d a lot though, own about 30 3d blu rays up to now and I also have 3 or 4 games on my ps3.

chips229

Standard Member
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.After hours and hours of reading about TVs I bought one yesterday.
After speaking to the guy in the shop he said there was no problem with bringing the tele back if I wasnt fully happy with it.So I bought the one that I wasnt going to buy if that makes any sense lol.
My mind was all but made up to buy the Sony KDL42W829BBU,but without the 2D/3D Conversion on it I thought I was going to be missing out on something if it was any good.
So I bought a Samsung UE46F6320 with the active 3D glasses.I have tried the 2D to 3D conversion out and TBH my opinion is it works but I dont think it works that well.The normal and 3D picture looks really nice and a big improvement over my old tele.But I will be taking it back and exchanging it for the Sony.

chips229

Standard Member
Watching a 3D film I can see the flicker from the active glasses on the Samsung and after a while I had a slight headache.

chips229

Standard Member
Im not to buy things and taking back,but I am so glad I exchanged the Samsung UE46F6320 for the Sony kdl42w829
Great picture from both but Im just finding the 3D alot better on my eyes with the passive glasses.

Thanks for all your help

MrMav11

I'd probably prefer to buy a Samsung TV, current one is old but been great, but I can't be doing worth Active 3D. I want a new TV, a 3D smart one, but goto be passive as I've tried active and like you, get headaches, and can detect the flickering straight away.

Is the sony W829 passive? Thought it was active now. If want a 55" TV though

I also seen the LG in currys, the 55LA660v, and was impressed. I probably would have bought but I'm worried on the 1 year warranty, I want a 5 year, JL have the 55LA620v, but it's missing a few bits over 660v

**just found that the kdl42w829 is passive, and the kdl55w829 is active. So same model series but different TV size have different 3D systems??**

Last edited:

megadeth uk

I'd probably prefer to buy a Samsung TV, current one is old but been great, but I can't be doing worth Active 3D. I want a new TV, a 3D smart one, but goto be passive as I've tried active and like you, get headaches, and can detect the flickering straight away.

Is the sony W829 passive? Thought it was active now. If want a 55" TV though

I also seen the LG in currys, the 55LA660v, and was impressed. I probably would have bought but I'm worried on the 1 year warranty, I want a 5 year, JL have the 55LA620v, but it's missing a few bits over 660v

**just found that the kdl42w829 is passive, and the kdl55w829 is active. So same model series but different TV size have different 3D systems??**
Sony did make a 50" passive last year that I don't know if it's still available kdl50w685, they also make the new kdl55w955 which is also passive but I don't know if that's over budget for you ? It's been criticised for its poor black levels but if your considering an LG then there isn't any difference as there both using ips panels.

Last edited:

chips229

Standard Member
I do miss the bigger screen of the Samsung and being able to turn the TV on the pivot on the stand.
But the 3D passive of the Sony is so much more easy and natural viewing in my opinion.

MrMav11

You've made me do a bit of a rethink actually regarding a pivot stand.

I've realised now we do use this to adjust for sitting position, I think I need to make sure the new set has this!!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom