Help please with Bluetooth connection.

Crock56

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am just about to upgrade my Quad CD player for an ATC one however my new CD player doesn't have the bluetooth connection that the Quad has. I've bought a Logitech bluetooth connector but it doesn't seem to like playing with my old Quad 34 pre-amp. Any suggestions gratefully received or is it that my Quad pre-amp cira 1983 is just too old ? Thanks :)

Is this the back of your Quad
D3S_5931-rear-0640.jpg

And have you got a picture of the connections on the ATC and where you have your Bluetooth connector connected to
And is this the front of your Quad
D3S_5930-0640.jpg

Is this the right Quad pre amp.

If you are playing the cd player through the Quad and selecting the cd input you cant use one of the others to use your Bluetooth connector at the same time if I am not mistaken its one or the other. and why do you want to use Bluetooth just connect the cd player to the pre amp and press cd on the front of the Quad a Bluetooth connector is used to transmit a signal from say a phone to an amp or the likes nothing else. I think this is why you had nobody comment on this question. If you have any more questions regarding this just reply to this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the back of your Quad
View attachment 1474108
And have you got a picture of the connections on the ATC and where you have your Bluetooth connector connected to
And is this the front of your Quad
View attachment 1474125
Is this the right Quad pre amp.
My 34 has 5 pin din (?) connections on the back apart from the Phono connection. so I assume it must be a slightly earlier model than that one ? Even the tape connection is a 5 pin. No CD connection, only an 'Aux' which is to be used " When the new CD players arrive". I'm looking to upgrade probably to a Sugden hopefully fairly soon. The front is very similar to yours.

I'm completely confused by your post. What exactly are you trying to achieve? How have to connected the Logitech?

Last edited:
If I understand correctly it sounds like you simply need an RCA to 5-pin DIN lead to connect your ATC CD player to the AUX socket on your Quad 34 rather than trying to connect via bluetooth.

You may also find it useful to use a pair of 15dB inline attenuators at the CD end of the cable in order to reduce the relatively high CD output to better match the sensitivity of the Quad input

Amazon product ASIN B0153DHXPI

Hi Guys/Chaps/Chappesses et al,

Sorry to confuse you all ! I'm up-grading my CD from a Quad which has a bluetooth connection to an ATC which doesn't. We have been using the bluetooth on the 'listen again' Sounds from the BBC website to catch up on old radio programmes that we've missed. ( Easier to listen in the sitting room through the main Hi-fi rather than the computer speakers which are in a different room.) I've bought a Logitech bluetooth receiver but the only spare inlet on my Quad pre-amp is the Tape. I just get a loud 'hum' ! so am i right in assuming that my Quad pre-amp (1983) is just too old ?

How does it have a Bluetooth connection the Quad that is. Have you got photos

Hi Guys/Chaps/Chappesses et al,

Sorry to confuse you all ! I'm up-grading my CD from a Quad which has a bluetooth connection to an ATC which doesn't. We have been using the bluetooth on the 'listen again' Sounds from the BBC website to catch up on old radio programmes that we've missed. ( Easier to listen in the sitting room through the main Hi-fi rather than the computer speakers which are in a different room.) I've bought a Logitech bluetooth receiver but the only spare inlet on my Quad pre-amp is the Tape. I just get a loud 'hum' ! so am i right in assuming that my Quad pre-amp (1983) is just too old ?
The Bluetooth receiver gets its sound from somewhere else like a phone or a mp3 player not from a cd player its all very confusing.

It's the Quad CD that had the bluetooth connection. That is being upgraded.
This is the second quad CD player that has gone duff on me hence the up-grade.

What is the model number of the Quad cd player ? what is the rest of your system.

I've bought a Logitech bluetooth receiver but the only spare inlet on my Quad pre-amp is the Tape. I just get a loud 'hum' ! so am i right in assuming that my Quad pre-amp (1983) is just too old ?
It won’t be too old. My best guess is that you have the wrong DIN connector & are actually connected to the tape out rather than tape in.

Do you have another system or does your TV have analogue in so that you can confirm the Logitech is working?

I think @camcroft is under the misapprehension that you are trying to connect a CD player to the pre-amp by Bluetooth.

It won’t be too old. My best guess is that you have the wrong DIN connector & are actually connected to the tape out rather than tape in.

Do you have another system or does your TV have analogue in so that you can confirm the Logitech is working?

I think @camcroft is under the misapprehension that you are trying to connect a CD player to the pre-amp by Bluetooth.
I would just like to know where the Bluetooth receiver comes into the equation why doesn't he just connect the two pieces of equipment together with the appropriate cable

I would just like to know where the Bluetooth receiver comes into the equation why doesn't he just connect the two pieces of equipment together with the appropriate cable
Unless I’ve misunderstood, the CDP has a Bluetooth receiver that the OP uses to play BBC Sounds. He’s replacing that CDP with another brand so now requires an alternative Bluetooth receiver.

I don't have a TV and the computer is in a different room to the hi-fi. Mobile phone is very basic and has no internet connection, my only connection to the internet is via my desktop hence the 'need' for a bluetooth connection through to the Hi-fi. My Tape in/output works off the same 5 pin din so probably difficult to know which parts of the 5 pin I would need to connect. I think I will have to wait until i can afford to up-grade the pre amp as well. Would I normally just connect through a 'basic' line in connection ?

You still haven't said how you're connecting the Logitech.

The difficulty with DIN to phono is ensuring you have the correct pins connected. From what I can see you need phono/RCA to DIN pins 3 & 5 like this cable.

This one actually specifies which DIN pins are connected, most don't. So if you've just bought a random one it's 50:50 whether the right pins are connected.

I'm also assuming that you've successfully paired the Logitech to the PC?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
PC found Logitech no problem, thank you. Just out for a walk so will reply to rest later. :)

What the OP has completely failed to communicate - despite several attempts - is this.

He currently has a Quad CD player connected to his Quad preamp with a wire into the Aux input. (The preamp predates the introduction of CD by some decades).

The Quad CD player also has a Bluetooth receiver built in. Which the OP uses to receive BBC Sounds from his computer in the other room. The Quad CD player has various digital inputs that can be selected.

However, the Quad CD player is to be replaced with an ATC which doesn’t have an integral Bluetooth receiver. So he’s bought a Logitech one, I believe, and will plug that into the Quad preamp instead.

Given that the Quad pre uses DIN connections, my first-base check would be to plug the new Bluetooth receiver into the Aux input using the same interconnect cable that the Quad CD player currently uses. If that works fine then we know it’s simply a case of getting a suitable cable/adapter for the Tape DIN connector - for which a telephone call to Quad’s service department would quickly clear up.

Last edited:
What the OP has completely failed to communicate - despite several attempts - is this.

He currently has a Quad CD player connected to his Quad preamp with a wire into the Aux input. (The preamp predates the introduction of CD by some decades).

The Quad CD player also has a Bluetooth receiver built in. Which the OP uses to receive BBC Sounds from his computer in the other room. The Quad CD player has various digital inputs that can be selected.

However, the Quad CD player is to be replaced with an ATC which doesn’t have an integral Bluetooth receiver. So he’s bought a Logitech one, I believe, and will plug that into the Quad preamp instead.

Given that the Quad pre uses DIN connections, my first-base check would be to plug the new Bluetooth receiver into the Aux input using the same interconnect cable that the Quad CD player currently uses. If that works fine then we know it’s simply a case of getting a suitable cable/adapter for the Tape DIN connector - for which a telephone call to Quad’s service department would quickly clear up.
Brilliant, thank you. I will give that a try. :) :)

my first-base check would be to plug the new Bluetooth receiver into the Aux input using the same interconnect cable that the Quad CD player currently uses.
Good call, I had assumed (without a model no.) that it was a DIN to DIN connection.

Just tried plugging into Aux ( CD ) input. All I get is a loud HUM !!!! Help !

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have speakers on the PC? If so, try plugging them into the Logitech & see if that works.

Can we have the Logitech model number please? Is the loud hum there when the Quad pre is turned all the way down?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom