Help please - unplugged sky box & all TVs lost signal

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mcac, Feb 19, 2018.

1. mcac

mcac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm praying someone can help me as I've made a bit of an error. Well, actually, I think my husband will think it's huge.
    I unplugged the Sky Box in our main living room as we no longer take the Sky service. I was looking forward to the space in our cabinet so I just pulled out all the wires at the back of the box. I didn't stop to consider that it could affect all (but one) of the TVs in our house. But it has!
    The main TV that the Sky box sat beside is still working but all the others have lost their signals.
    I wonder if anyone would be able to give me guidance to get them all up and running without re-connecting the Sky Box? Can this even be done?
    I'd be very grateful.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    There will be a coax cable that was previously connected to the Sky box RF 2 out and most likely goes up to your loft. You need a aerial splitter.

Labgear 19132R/S 2 Way Metal T Splitter

Connect the feed from your aerial to the splitter in. Connect one output to your local TV and the other to the cable feeding the other TV's. If you were using magic eyes to control the sky box, disconnect them from the remote TV's.

3. mcac

mcac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks so much, Grahamlthompson, for your guidance and the link.
    My husband's going to pick up the splitter on Friday & attempt a DIY repair.

As you rightly say, he thinks there's a cable coming from the aerial in the loft. We have a bathroom TV, a TV in one bedroom, a TV in the kitchen and a TV in my office; in addition to the main TV in the lounge.
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but where do these cables 'go'? Are they likely to be the cables that I can see coming in through a hole in the lounge wall? If so, what needs to happen to the ends of these cables?
    I'm fairly certain I sound clueless - sorry.
    Butt I'm very grateful for your help...might you be around the forums on Friday? Alternatively, do you live in South Yorkshire by chance?...I'm only half joking :)

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    Normally the cable that was connected to RF2 out will go up to the loft to a Skylink compatible amplifier. The other TV's are connected to that. You might still be in the doghouse as the amplifier may be mains powered or powered by the Sky box 9V output, like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-F140-Compatible-Magic-Amplifier/dp/B000NG2RUC

If that's the case you will also need a remote power supply downstairs. Connect the upstairs outlet of the splitter to the power supply and it's output to the coax.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antiference-P1200-Masthead-Aerial-Supply/dp/B003ESWETU

I was born in South Sheffield but moved south more than 50 years ago.

5. mcac

mcac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the information, Graham. It's very helpful.

Couple of pieces of info I should mention:
    there is a box behind the main TV in the lounge called an Antenna Amplifier, I think. It's 'video lab' brand. What is this for?

Also, we've just discovered the bedroom TV works. So, I'm wondering if that's fed by the loft aerial?

I really, really hope we can fix this. It's a week for everything going wrong electronically-speaking. The other things (car, telephone) we can't even attempt, so it would be a treat to have some success with this....perhaps, also a bleak hope...but we'll try.
    Many thanks again for taking time to help and reply.