Help Please - Toshiba RDXS32 Connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevhu, Oct 21, 2004.

1. kevhu

kevhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appreciate any advice from forum members on how to connect various bits of kit:

* Toshiba 36ZP48 TV - 3 Scarts + Component
    * Toshiba RDXS32 Recorder (also has Component)
    * Sky +
    * Panasonic Video (old)

I do not have a separate AV receiver but sound via 36ZP48 with 4 external speakers is pretty good.

I have bought a Component cable from Mark Grant for connecting TV and DVD Recorder and also 2 decent quality THOR SCART leads.

Now just need to work out what to plug into and where - RDXS32 due to be delivered in next couple of days. Especially if I need to buy any other cables.

Do I use SCART lead for audio between DVD Recorder and TV or do I need another cable for this? If so, is this likely to be supplied with the Recorder?

All help gratefully received.

Thanks

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What are you going to be using the VHS recorder for? I ask this because it affects how you connect the equipment. If you're going to be copying VHS tapes to DVD then obviously you would need to output to be fed via the DVDR, otherwise if you just want to play old VHS tapes sometines then you could just connect it to one of the spare Scarts on the TV.

3. kevhu

kevhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobcar,

Just want video player to play old videos.

4. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the best possible recording quality you need to connect the TV out of the Sky box to AV1 or AV2 of the RD-XS32 (I think AV2 is the convention here). Then connect the RD-XS32 to your TV via component. I am pretty sure the XS32 will convert the incoming signal from the Sky box to component for you. Then just connect the VCR to the TV with another Scart.

My TV doesn't have component and only has one RGB-capable Scart so I connect AV1 of the RD-XS32 to that Scart. There's a button on the RD-XS32 remote which shorts AV1 and AV2 together so you can prevent the onscreen messages (say when you are copying from HDD to DVD) from interfering with what you are watching. I do not know if that same function works with the component out.

5. kevhu

kevhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Skyline - will try when the RDXS32 is delivered (hopefully tomorrow). Will I need an extra cable for audio between RDXS32 and TV?