1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please..tight budget!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sparkrite, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sparkrite

sparkrite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Guys,being kinda new to all this and after reading what feels like hundreds of reviews ,I've decided to take the plunge and buy a Sanyo Z3.So that's one peice of the puzzle,now I need help as to amp/speakers/dvd!!!
    I already have a Sony strdb925 so was hoping this would do the job?
    but any reccommendations wouldbe helpful

The main problem is i can only afford about a grand to complete the setup .Is this possible without too many compromises?

Problem 2.
    what is the best way to cable it all together (inc. sky+,xbox).Distance between should not be a problem as I hope to put all in stand/cupboard with proj on top

many thanks :thumbsup:

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    A grand is more than enough to get a very good surround set up including DVD, Amp, Speakers and cables/stands etc. The Sony is an early Dolby Digital amp which you may wish to upgrade. The new Sony STR DB795 has 7 x 90 watts rms, Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES surround all for a rrp of £300 ( shop around for a better deal) try the £150 Samsung DVD HD945 DVD player with HDMI output and upscaling to 720p or 1080i resolution ( ideal for your Sanyo Z3). Speakers to suit would include The Wharfedale Pacific 30 surround system which include 2 floorstander in beautiful real rosewood with external tweeter like on the B&W Nautilus range, a matching center and two bookshelf matching rears all with same tweeter. This set with the floorstanders means a subwoofer is not essential to begin with and the set can be bought for £499 from Superfi ( see back pages of What Hi-Fi).
    So that's £950 maximum probably nearer £900 if you shop around. This leaves you £100 to buy some cables, speaker brackets etc.
    Hope this has given you some ideas.
    With regards to the cabling, the Sony amp has inputs/outputs for composite, S-Video and Component which should cope with most of your inputs. You can use HDMI for the DVD player and buy a scart switcher box if you have plenty of scart connections to deal with. These can be bought for as little as £20 and allows you to connect several scarts in and just one going out.

3. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Oakley

Are you sure about the price for the speaker set-up? I can only find the front pair for that price. And at that price I wouldn't mind the complete set-up.

4. sparkrite

sparkrite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Cheers , that's given me some hope!! will check your recs. out

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Yep, sure about the price. Look in the latest What Hi-Fi and find the SUPERFI 3 or 4 page advert which is in a green colour. At the end of the advert is a page with just items and prices and you should find the Wharfedale Pacific 30 surround system in there for £499. I actually managed to get the Pacific 40 for £499 from them as they 'only' had the rosewood finish (which I really wanted but didn't let them know that!!!))which include the even better and more powerful floorstanders and can confirm that they are fantastic.

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Stripe - the package in question is not the current Pacific Evolution package - it's the older Pacific Pi30 package.

Sparkrite - given that you are considering this package, you may as well keep your 925 AV amp (unless you specifically want ProLogic2).
    As the package is 5.0, and the 925 is already 5.1 capable, there's not that much point upgrading to a 6.1 or 7.1 channel AV amp - you won't have the speakers for 6 or 7 channels. It's doubtful that you'd be able to get a matching speaker(s) at a later date either, in order to upgrade to 6 or 7 channels, as these Pacific models have been out of production for some time. You could always get another type of speaker of course, in order to go 6 or 7 channel, but then they won't match (either tonally or aesthetically - depends how much this bothers you though I suppose) - and if you plan to do this from the off, why not just select something which is currently in production and more likely to be available in 6 months time (or else buy the extra rears now, and be done with it, whether you use them straight away or not).

Also, IMHO, while Oakley is right in the sense that you can "get way" without a subwoofer when using decent floorstanders - don't assume that the effect is anything like as convincing, because it isn't (unless we are talking about a fartbox and not a proper subwoofer). A subwoofer also gives you the option of not having large floorstanders at the front - with a decent subwoofer, they aren't needed (although you can certainly still use them if you wish)!
    For speaker advice, you may be better taking this over to the speaker forum, but really you need to decide on the type of speakers you want first before shortlisting likely candidates. That is, what colour and size do you want - where/how are you going to mount them (your room size, layout and decor etc may dictate your choice to a large extent). Also be aware that very small "micro" speakers will inevitably mean a certain amount of compromise in performance - despite some of the marketing blurb you might read - it's the price you pay for the size factor (although some are fairly reasonable performers if positioned and set up correctly). Some careful thought and planning about how you'll be implementing them though, can save costly mistakes.

As for the DVD player - I know little about the Samsung 945, so can't really comment, but the spec looks good for the money! There were some issues on the Z3 with HDMI, but IIRC they may have been solved with a firmware update!

7. sparkrite

sparkrite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Thanks! I knew I could rely on you guys for some informed advice! :thumbsup:

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    MikeK is right. the .1 in a 5.1 system refers to a dedicated LFE ( Low Frequency Effects) channel specifically for a subwoofer. This will produce a much tighter, pronounced bass than 'just' floorstanders. But saying that, it can also depend on your room size. Having Floorstanders and an active subwoofer may be too overblown so you should consider whether you want smaller main speakers and a sub, larger main speakers and no sub, or if your room allows, larger main speakers and a sub.
    If you do decide to upgrade your amp and you can still buy the Pacific Pi30 package, then you may be able to come to a deal where they will add another pair of the Pi10s( bookshelf speakers used at rear) to complete your 7.1 speaker package. If not, then as MikeK says, either stick with the amp you have, or look at some other speakers.
    I own the Wharfedale Pacific package and think they are fantastic for the money ( they were originally £1200 when first released) and I do not have a sub currently but never feel that I am lacking bass. Don't forget also that if you tell your amp that you do not have a sub connected, it will direct the bass to the floorstanders anyway so bass will still be prominent and the Pi40s go as low as 20hz which is fine for me in my average sized lounge.
    Buying to a budget is all about compromise. If you buy items that have since been superseded, then you can still get great stuff but at much reduced prices and thus compromising is kept to a minimum.